Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:22 PM EDT
Considering purchasing a Mark XIX.  I've been doing some research, it appears that some believe  the Israeli built pistols are of higher quality(and vica versa).  I'd like to get opinions on the subject from this forum.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By GunsRcool:
Considering purchasing a Mark XIX.  I've been doing some research, it appears that some believe  the Israeli built pistols are of higher quality(and vica versa).  I'd like to get opinions on the subject from this forum.
View Quote

Not sure about the quality difference but if I was buying a Desert Eagle I would want one made in Israel just because.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
either buy one made in israel or buy the chromed one.

the black ones made here will rust in a climate controlled vauit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm concerned with functionality, and quality of manufacture.  And would likely select Cerakote or Chrome as a finish. I have heard the black finish is quite weak. Does this not apply to the Israeli pistols? Is the finish a different type?  My impression has been that the black pistols are likely to need refinishing with moderate use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had my Desert Eagle since 1991.  (Made in Israel, IMI)  It's the Mark VII version... and, not the Mark XIX you're inquiring about.  Bought it from an individual that had only put two magazines through it and complained about its weight.  It has a black slide / barrel and aluminum lower.

In the many early years, (a little over a decade), carried it on my hip in a cheap holster made for the gun while hog-hunting on a deer-lease.  Exposed it to rain, mud, and whatever else the trail threw at me.  Cleaned and oiled it thoroughly each evening once I arrived back at camp.  Have never had a problem with rust from the gun in many years of carrying it in some pretty bad environments.

There is very little fading of the paint on the lower left-side edge of the barrel toward the end where the corner sat against the cheap holster and my leg.  It was carried and kept in the cheap holster for many years.  (Family-member constructed a very nice drop-leg platform within the last few years in a laminated-denier that resembles leather, and I've not had any further issues.)  I have a friend who has recently began to Cerakote and Hydro-Print for a living and have been thinking about giving the gun a new coat of paint.  Either that, or just Cerakote the slide and barrel back to black... aluminum doesn't show much age.  It doesn't need it, but I am pretty particular when it comes to... well, anything.

That's my experience with a Desert Eagle, made in Israel, and in the Mark VII flavor.  Hope it offers some assistance in reference to your question.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
So... I went with the Israeli pistol, its the XIX in .50AE.   This thing is a handful!  I can tell this is going to require some practice to become proficient.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thewildman:
either buy one made in israel or buy the chromed one.

the black ones made here will rust in a climate controlled vauit.
View Quote

I have a black one...No rust what so ever...
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My 1986-made Mark I has no rust on it, either. The finish is gone on the edges an there are imprints on the front strap from a previous from a previous owner's fingers, but no rust.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I read some recent comments on the Desert Eagle Forum about the tolerances on the Israeli gun’s being tighter. I would have to look around a bit to find the comment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top