Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2023 3:21:38 PM EDT
Is there a quality/fit/finish difference in Beretta's made in the USA vs made in Italy ?  Is one better than another ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue. If I had to guess I'd say Italy is better quality. They opened up shop here to save money

Maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Italian guns IME are finished with a higher attention to detail. My Gallatin, TN made M9 and 92x came out of the box with multiple blemishes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a few Italian-made Berettas. For comparison, I have 92FSs made in in the U.S. and Italy. I cannot tell any difference between them other than the markings. Finish and function are identical. Also, my M9A3 (Italy) and M9A4 (USA) are both excellent pistols. Every Beretta I own (currently 22 of them and soon to be 23) is without flaw. That is one reason I like Berettas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I own multiple Italian Berettas & a couple of MD models. No difference as far as I can tell.

Pains me to say it, but the TN models have WAY too many issues, cosmetically & performance wise. Based on past threads & pics, *I* wouldn't take a current TN made model if one was given to me.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Eye-talian models have less BS markings on their slides?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:
No clue. If I had to guess I'd say Italy is better quality. They opened up shop here to save money

Maybe I'm wrong.
View Quote

You're wrong.  

When the US Mil announced an open bid to replace the 1911, one condition was there HAD to be a US plant to make them. So, Beretta built their MD plant & the rest is history, as they say.

Of course, they saved a shitload of $$ on shipping costs as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#6]
I used to own an Italian made Beretta 92F, it had a nice polished blued barrel and slide and it was beautiful with walnut checkered grips.

Almost every beretta I've seen has some kind of matte finish.

Not mine any more though
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience is that the MD and Italian Berettas are very similar in terms of overall quality, fit, and finish.  The TN guns are the ones that seem to have more QC issues, left over machining marks, poor fit, etc.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
I used to own an Italian made Beretta 92F, it had a nice polished blued barrel and slide and it was beautiful with walnut checkered grips.

Almost every beretta I've seen has some kind of matte finish.

Not mine any more though
https://i.imgur.com/EoZ9fBT.jpg
View Quote

Blueing vs Bruniton.   Bruniton is teflon over parkerizing, IIRC.  More durable than the traditional blueing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Whichever one that doesn't have "read the owner's manual" on the slide.  F'ing retarded.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have examples of both. The Italian versions are much nicer in fit and finish IMHO.  The TN made guns that I have or had often had major blems like poorly machined slides and/or frames.  This goes for the Wilson Combat versions as well.  It seems pride in workmanship goes to the Italians on this one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ll take delivery of my first Beretta tomorrow. A 92x RDO.

I got my first handgun 30 years ago and many have come and gone since. My first two are still with me. But after reading a thread the other day I realized I had yet to scratch the Beretta itch.

The last time I shot one was a buddies a couple few too many years ago. I intended on getting an Italian 92FS like my friends. But after doing some reading and at others recommendation I opted for the newest 92 variant.

I did read several accounts of the TN built guns having issues. For the most part it seems those were when production first began in TN. Yes, the allure of an Italian built 92 was at the top of my list, but aging eyes and small pistol sights aren’t much fun anymore. I’m looking forward to a new to me Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HighlanderI:
I’ll take delivery of my first Beretta tomorrow. A 92x RDO.

I got my first handgun 30 years ago and many have come and gone since. My first two are still with me. But after reading a thread the other day I realized I had yet to scratch the Beretta itch.

The last time I shot one was a buddies a couple few too many years ago. I intended on getting an Italian 92FS like my friends. But after doing some reading and at others recommendation I opted for the newest 92 variant.

I did read several accounts of the TN built guns having issues. For the most part it seems those were when production first began in TN. Yes, the allure of an Italian built 92 was at the top of my list, but aging eyes and small pistol sights aren’t much fun anymore. I’m looking forward to a new to me Beretta.
View Quote

You will like the 92X RDO. Here is mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a couple of made in Italy Beretta 92s and an M9 that was made in MD.  All were great and never had a problem with them.

Currently have two that were made in TN.  

First is an M9 I bought a couple of years ago.  Looked ok but the hammer would not drop when the trigger was pulled DA.  It had to go back to be fixed.

Second is an M9A4 that has flawed chrome lining in the bore.  Evidently this is a thing with them.  Just bought it the end of last year.  I've tried contacting Beretta a few times and never heard back from them.  It shoots fine but I'll probably sell it for a discount eventually and move on.

I would not buy another TN made Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighlanderI] [#14]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

You will like the 92X RDO. Here is mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76904/Resized_20221217_075431_jpg-2736732.JPG
View Quote

Nice one!

I take it the Vortex is gtg?

Disheartening to read cb4017. Crossing fingers and toes…
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HighlanderI:

Nice one!

I take it the Vortex is gtg?

Disheartening to read cb4017. Crossing fingers and toes…
View Quote

The VORTEX VIPER is GTG.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

The VORTEX VIPER is GTG.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

View Quote

I keep hearing this from more & more Beretta owners. Sad, when a company goes woke.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#18]
The reason i posted the question is I am getting ready to buy a M9A4 RDO . Are all M9A4 pistols made in  TN ,USA ?  I have 2 Beretta's that are made in the USA ,APX a-1 full size and APX a1 carry that are ok, but have noticed my old 92 ,and 22 Bobcat ,and the PX4 full size 40 S&W were finished nicer. I just  grabbed a used  PX4 9mm on gun broker and other than it having wear on the slide finish it too seams better built fit and finish wise. I wish i never sold the PX4 in 40 S&W ,and am now looking for a deal on a new one. Is it possible to buy a made in Italy 92A4 ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GONIF:
The reason i posted the question is I am getting ready to buy a M9A4 RDO . Are all M9A4 pistols made in  TN ,USA ?  I have 2 Beretta's that are made in the USA ,APX a-1 full size and APX a1 carry that are ok, but have noticed my old 92 ,and 22 Bobcat ,and the PX4 full size 40 S&W were finished nicer. I just  grabbed a used  PX4 9mm on gun broker and other than it having wear on the slide finish it too seams better built fit and finish wise. I wish i never sold the PX4 in 40 S&W ,and am now looking for a deal on a new one. Is it possible to buy a made in Italy 92A4 ?
View Quote

Let me clarify a little.  
My TN made M9A4 is a great looking pistol.  The fit and finish is great and it shoots great, BUT, it's obvious the chrome lining in the bore is flawed.  In the big scheme of things it probably doesn't matter since it shoots so well.  For me it's more of an OCD thing.  You have to wonder how in the world a major manufacturer screws up chrome lining in a bore.  It's been done forever.
The barrel is a drop in part.  If I keep the gun I will probably just swap it out.

When you buy yours I would recommend you check it out before purchase.  Mine looked good but I failed to notice the bore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#20]
Originally Posted By GONIF:
View Quote

To my knowledge, the M9A4 is only made in the TN, USA. The M9A3 was made in Italy. I would not let the fact that the M9A4 is made in TN deter you from getting one. They are fine pistols. All of this hype about Berettas made in TN being faulty for one reason or another is based on conjecture and not facts. Granted, not every pistol produced by anyone is perfect. Then, we have bias amongst Beretta aficionados that think that any Beretta made outside of Italy or MD is inferior. Not so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Tennessee made M9A3 and I still have an Italian made M9A3. The Italian made gun has a nicer finish. The only think that bothers me personally is the frame serial# is different than the slide serial #.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 6:57:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#22]
IME both the US and Italian made guns run very well, so I'd say no functional difference. The Gallatin made pistols seem to have more blemishes though.

My M9A4 frame is perfect, but the slide has some sloppy machining in non-critical areas. The bore is poorly chromed, but again, the pistol shoots fine, and after reading some of the horror stories about Beretta CS I'd rather just run it than initiate a claim.

I still like Berettas and I like my M9A4, but a ~$1000 handgun should have tighter QC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Old thread but adding to the disappointment in the TN manufactured berettas. It’s like they don’t care almost. I have several eye-talion imported and 1 MD they are all exceptional in quality. On my 92x RDO centurion and bobcat 21a they have had many issues. I won’t buy another TN made berretta. Both looked fine but after putting a number of rounds through the frames started to fall and you could see the terrible machine markings. The locking block on the 92x started flaking apart ad getting in the rails causing grooves. Super weird really disappointing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My TN Beretta had all kinds of gross machining marks on it. Never again. Looked like the slide was finished with a mallet and a screwdriver
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My new TN made 92X doesn’t have a single flaw on it. It’s as well made as my Italian made 92FS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

I keep hearing this from more & more Beretta owners. Sad, when a company goes woke.  
View Quote

So just exactly how did they go woke?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Someone posted here about their hiring rep speaking to a crowd of potentials about “Beretta being committed to hiring the most diverse workforce”
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

Someone posted here about their hiring rep speaking to a crowd of potentials about “Beretta being committed to hiring the most diverse workforce”
View Quote

Most all large companies say that.  If they were to say anything else they would get all sorts of lawsuits from people that did not even want to work there. Beretta, like many businesses most likely has a harder time finding trainable employees now…..seems a large % of the population is stupid and lazy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cb4017:

I'm still passed at them for entirely dropping the ARX line altogether, including parts. That decision came straight from the old country.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
My TN Beretta had all kinds of gross machining marks on it. Never again. Looked like the slide was finished with a mallet and a screwdriver
View Quote

My TN Beretta had tooling marks inside of it as well.  Sloppy QC.  But the gun runs 100% and is very accurate.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
After purchasing a new made in America 92x RDO G model  last month ,and firing over 800 rounds through it I can say that I am happy with the quality and function of it. I find it very accurate and the overall finish is pretty good. I put a set of LOC grips on it and have to say it's as good as I had hoped it would be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#33]
My December 2021 92X RDO is good to go. Even on the inside of the gun there’s no sloppy machining.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:47:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#34]
You guys got me curious ,so went and got the 1981 92 I sold to a friend ,put hem side to side on my bench . I put my magnifying glass's on and took it and my 92X RDO I just purchased apart . I inspected it in and out . I found no flaking in the barrel , no excessive or abnormal machine marks ,and no looseness /poor  fit between the slide and frame. As to the over all finish ,it is indeed not as good as my old 1981 92 . The bluing on the slide and anodizing on the frame on the 1981 92 looks brighter, clearer ,smoother and slicker than the finish on the new 92x RDO. So cosmetically the New 92X RDO isn't as good as the old 1981 92. But the trigger is worlds better on the 92X RDO .The slide to frame fit and smoothness of operation is just as good .The accuracy for me is better on the 92X RDO ,more than likely due to the vertex frame fitting my hand better and the trigger being better and lighter in both single and double action . Bottom line for me on my particular 92X RDO made in TN USA is GTG ,and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another . As to who is hired and working at the TN Beretta plant ,I see no reason American workers would be or are inferior to Italian workers. If the same Quality standard of specification and inspection is held both Italian and American 92's should be equal. Weather or not the same Quality standards and inspection  in both factory's are held on currant production I have no way of knowing .
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I own 3 Tennessee guns and a Maryland gun.   Zero quality issues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#36]
This has been beaten to death.  People here fall into 3 groups.

1) ones that only own Italian Berettas and have no intention in owning anything else.

2) ones that got a early TN gun and it had problems and now that is all they remember and/ or know.

3) ones that have a more recent TN gun and find it well made and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OSU_Buckeyes] [#37]
I've owned dozens of 92 series guns over the past ~5 years.

The quality control and fit and finish can be ranked in this order:

1. Italy
2. Maryland
3. Tennessee

One 92FS that I picked up was made in Tennessee, and it had serious machining errors. This was around 2019 if I remember correctly. They somehow managed to cut a hole in the slide near the safety lever, where there isn't supposed to be a hole. The Maryland guns were very close to the same quality as Italian guns.

Edit: I would be open to trying a Tennessee gun, but I would want to thoroughly inspect it before doing the transfer. I have seen pics online where people have gotten good examples out of Tennessee.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I still stay say Maryland made the best most consistent quality 92 pistols out of the 3 plants.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I have quite a few berettas from TN, MD, and Italy. The M9A3 and 92FS I have from italy beats my TN 92x in terms of build quality which has rough machining on some parts. Additionally, I tested the lock up on the slide, barrel and frame fit, they are much tighter on the italians than the U.S. made models, even compared to my 2 LTTs. The MD Inox I  have is a good quality pistol but I know during the war, some people experienced a drop in finish and aesthetics like light roll marks due to larger production volume. The finish, although the same, is applied differently in the U.S. compared to Italy, it closer to a blued looking finish on the italians because it's not applied as thick as the U.S. made models and looks better on the Italians.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#41]
Originally Posted By FJ803FE:
I have quite a few berettas from TN, MD, and Italy. The M9A3 and 92FS I have from italy beats my TN 92x in terms of build quality which has rough machining on some parts. Additionally, I tested the lock up on the slide, barrel and frame fit, they are much tighter on the italians than the U.S. made models, even compared to my 2 LTTs. The MD Inox I  have is a good quality pistol but I know during the war, some people experienced a drop in finish and aesthetics like light roll marks due to larger production volume. The finish, although the same, is applied differently in the U.S. compared to Italy, it closer to a blued looking finish on the italians because it's not applied as thick as the U.S. made models and looks better on the Italians.
View Quote

My Italian 92FS and TN 92X have finishes that look identical. In fact the 92X has a smoother finish.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I currently have five model 92 Berettas and can only tell the difference between the Italian and US manufactured ones by looking at the slide rollmarks
To see where they are made.

I think that both are great pistols.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#43]

My Italian 92FS and TN 92X have finishes that look identical. In fact the 92X has a smoother finish.
View Quote

Buddy of mine just bought a new 92X and his looks good too. Hopefully they’re getting things ironed out down there.

In all reality picking up an $700 million dollar operation and moving it to another state has to be a hell of a challenge. It’s no excuse, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to take part in the logistics of that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#44]
This A4 is just about perfect as far as fit and finish.  Smooth as glass and is a damn dream when shooting.  As with anything, check it out.  IT, MD and TN have all made fantastic pistols but all have also made lemons.  Judge the gun in front of you and stop bashing TN for something you saw years ago.
BTW, my 92X Centurion is just as fine as this one.  I can not see how either of these could have been any better if made in Italy.

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Southrnshooter] [#45]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

View Quote

This was posted over on the Beretta forum too.  Apparently when the first guns started rolling out of Tenn, they were so bad they had to call in people from Italy to try and get their QC issues under control.

I’ve wanted an M9A3 or 4 for several years now but I’ve never been able to lay my eyes on either an Italian made A3 or a decent Tenn model of either.  I have a 92A1 from Italy and a M9 and M9A1 Compact from Maryland.  They are all perfect.

Threads like this just make me want to pretty much give up on getting a good A4.

It’s a shame that “woke” has hit a 500 year old gun company.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:

This was posted over on the Beretta forum too.  Apparently when the first guns started rolling out of Tenn, they were so bad they had to call in people from Italy to try and get their QC issues under control.

I’ve wanted an M9A3 or 4 for several years now but I’ve never been able to lay my eyes on either an Italian made A3 or a decent Tenn model of either.  I have a 92A1 from Italy and a M9 and M9A1 Compact from Maryland.  They are all perfect.

Threads like this just make me want to pretty much give up on getting a good A4.

View Quote

And here is that woke crap again. Go ahead and give up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:

View Quote

Just WTF does the lack of training, motivation and quality of the available workforce in TN have to do with being “woke”?  I agree, .. just give up and never get a M9A4…boy that will show them,,
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By scottrh2:

Just WTF does the lack of training, motivation and quality of the available workforce in TN have to do with being "woke"?  I agree, .. just give up and never get a M9A4 boy that will show them,,
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I wanted an Italian-made Beretta because if I was going to get a gun from an Italian company, I wanted it to be made in Italy.

When I shot it, it was so good I exclaimed, "Mamma mia, that's a spicy meatball!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top