Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 9:57:26 AM EDT
Colt 1911 .45 ACP Torture Test - Gauntlet
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I watched, went about as well as I expected. Whatever was stuck in it worked its way out near the end, sigh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I could critique his test a bit, but really, who takes these tests seriously anyway? They're for entertainment, IMO. A G19 lasted 1 rnd in the InRange mud test.

Carry what you like, make sure it's reliable to realistic standards, and ignore these torture tests.

No matter what gun I'm carrying, if it gets dumped in sand or mud, I'm going to expect a malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
While I HATE glock fanboi stuff, the g17 ran that test like a boss. But the ole 1911 did ok IMO
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
While torture tests have some limited merit for police and military purposes, they really don’t have any relevance for the typical ccw carrier. While I have taken a few swamp pond and lake dives in my time the concept of full mud dirt or sand immersion being remotely realistic is ludicrous. I rotate glocks revolvers 1911. They will all do the job
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
These tests aren't scientific, but data can be gathered nonetheless.

I don't expect a 100+ year old design to perform as well as some modern offerings, I still like 1911s for what they are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be willing to bet a vintage Colt series 70 1911 from the 1920's to the early 1970's would have faired  
better in the tests than the "modern" series 80 Colt 1911's which can be more problematic in such tests with
dirt and debris being more readily available to get into the firing mechanism...?

However, it is rather unrealistic that someone would purposely put a pistol to such harsh conditions of sand,
water, and mud without Immediately cleaning it...

Any pistol will fail at some point when subjected to the same tests as the 1911 pistol went through in the video.

With that said, the MAC is a great channel to follow and always enjoy his videos on YT...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be willing to bet a vintage Colt series 70 1911 from the 1920's to the early 1970's would have faired  
better in the tests than the "modern" series 80 Colt 1911's which can be more problematic in such tests with
dirt and debris being more readily available to get into the firing mechanism...?

However, it is rather unrealistic that someone would purposely put a pistol to such harsh conditions of sand,
water, and mud without Immediately cleaning it...

Any pistol will fail at some point when subjected to the same tests as the 1911 pistol went through in the video.

With that said, the MAC is a great channel to follow and always enjoy his videos on YT...
View Quote
How so? Since the problems he had I can’t see how they are related to being 80 series?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Unlikely my 1911 will be exposed to much mud (ect..) in the facility or parking lot of Wal-Mart, Kroger, Publix, restaurants.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting test. My Les Baer ran after being tossed in wet farm clay, but it’s not a Colt milspec-ish 1911 either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I built up a 1911 on a surplus parts kit and since I had a minimum amount of money invested in it, I once buried it in a sand pile and stepped on it pretty good.   After a quick shake it fired all the rounds in the magazine, but it was not happy about it.

I repeated the test with the hammer cocked and locked, and it again fired the whole mag, but the thumb safety and all the controls got very difficult to move around and the trigger pull increased to about 12 pounds. After about three or four repetitions of this cycle, it finally refused to go into battery.

It performed better than I expected and I'm perfectly comfortable with its reliability.  Most of what it has to deal with now is pocket / holster lint.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I once threw a Les Baer downrange with the slide locked back after every mag for about 20 mags or so.  It ran well. Every couple of tosses the trigger would get stuck from sand between the trigger bow and the frame.  I’d swish it out in a water trough and back to shooting.

I did the same thing with a Glock 21 for science and it didn’t fare as well as the Baer.   The trigger on it would get stuck and fail to reset.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Drama queen off his meds

Attachment Attached File

Love my 1911’s
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Like others have said, these tests aren't scientific and are for entertainment. It would make more sense for gun to be cleaned and lubed between each element test instead of being rinsed in water, but that would be a pain in the ass. The odds that you would drop your handgun in water, sand, dirt, and mud all together is unrealistic, but I get that it is meant to push the firearm to its limits. Remember that the original GI 1911s were built so that you could take a part from every manufacturer and build a 1911 from those mixed parts. Most modern 1911s are built tight and require fitting. I wonder how an original WW1/WW2 era 1911 would fare in these tests?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Makes me feel better about never having watched any of his videos.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've tried a couple of times, he just irritates the fuck out of me, like Hicuck does. Don't know why, but I can't stand watching either of them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've tried a couple of times, he just irritates the fuck out of me, like Hicuck does. Don't know why, but I can't stand watching either of them.
View Quote
Nothing against anybody who makes videos, but I can't stand to watch gun videos on Youtube no matter what they are.  About the only ones I ever watch are the full detail strip ones for the odd firearm I'm working on, and I tend to do a lot of skipping around to find the section I need.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How so? Since the problems he had I can’t see how they are related to being 80 series?
View Quote
Correct, I was just noting that a series 70 type of WW1 or WW2 vintage or commercial version may have faired
better since there are less parts to get gummed up and fail in a series 70 design...Also, the WW1 and WW2 era
pistols had "looser" tolerances and perhaps being able to fair better in such tests...

Of course their are two schools of thought on this:

A) Looser tolerances will let dirt and debris escape out of the pistol...

B) Tight tolerances will not let much dirt and debris get into the pistol in the first place and thus better reliability...

Again, any rifle or pistol will fail when subjected to such tests...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I like MAC's Gauntlet tests but this one seemed odd to me, in the sense that it directly contradicts my own direct experience, and the results I've seen from other 1911 tests.

Kinda weird.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched, went about as well as I expected. Whatever was stuck in it worked its way out near the end, sigh.
View Quote
Yeah. Luckily for us we don't have to rely on 100yr old technology and have much more innovative designs like the SIG 320/365.

Good job MAC, wherever you are?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Correct, I was just noting that a series 70 type of WW1 or WW2 vintage or commercial version may have faired
better since there are less parts to get gummed up and fail in a series 70 design...Also, the WW1 and WW2 era
pistols had "looser" tolerances and perhaps being able to fair better in such tests...

B) Tight tolerances will not let much dirt and debris get into the pistol in the first place and thus better reliability...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve done a lot of sand and dirt 1911 shooting and I have always had the best reliability with tight guns.  Baer, Springfield Custom, Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah. Luckily for us we don't have to rely on 100yr old technology and have much more innovative designs like the SIG 320/365.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Series 70 didn’t exist in WW1 or WW2.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like MAC's Gauntlet tests but this one seemed odd to me, in the sense that it directly contradicts my own direct experience, and the results I've seen from other 1911 tests.

Kinda weird.
View Quote
I think part of the problem was rinsing the clp off. MAC has explained why he uses it and so little of it back during his Sig tests. I disagree with his reasoning but whatever. A better lubricant that can get swooshed around in water a couple times might have worked better imo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Looked like debris got caught in the disconnector channel based on the malfunctions he was getting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Vickers or somebody did a sand test years ago with several pistols.

IIRC a custom 1911 performed better than anything (including a GI 1911).

Once sand/mud gets into a gun, it is not going to work.  The key is keeping it out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I think part of the problem with his elements test is his piss poor choice of lubrication. CLP sucks, period. I wonder how many of the pistols he "tests" would fare better if he used better lubrication.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Vickers or somebody did a sand test years ago with several pistols.

IIRC a custom 1911 performed better than anything (including a GI 1911).

Once sand/mud gets into a gun, it is not going to work.  The key is keeping it out.
View Quote
It was Vickers. That also mirrors my experience. It performed better than a Glock 21, and an HK USP too I believe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’ve done a lot of sand and dirt 1911 shooting and I have always had the best reliability with tight guns.  Baer, Springfield Custom, Wilson Combat.
View Quote
Interesting that you say that. In my experience it's the guns with a tight barrel/bushing/lug fit, and tight but not too tight slide/frame fit. At least that's based on my current sample size. I think that if you tighten up the slide and frame too much you introduce more mechanical friction. At least that's my theory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think part of the problem with his elements test is his piss poor choice of lubrication. CLP sucks, period. I wonder how many of the pistols he "tests" would fare better if he used better lubrication.
View Quote
I don't think the lube is the problem actually. But something was wrong with that gun. He should've been able to do that test more or less dry and have it pass. I wonder if the loose grip safety fit on the GI style guns is a bigger problem than we realize. It basically lets debris right into the trigger mechanism.

Notice that none of his failures had anything to do with locking, extracting, feeding, or ejecting. They were all failures to go into battery.

I wonder if mags would've helped too actually.

My hypothesis is that Wilson mags introduce less friction because they release cartridges sooner.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Notice that none of his failures had anything to do with locking, extracting, feeding, or ejecting. They were all [u]failures to go into battery[/u].
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not really an issue with feed/barrel ramp geometry though. That's an issue with slide velocity.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You can have a fast enough slide speed but if there's a geometry issue with the feedramp, locking surfaces, or extractor that would cause the slide velocity to drop suddenly, causing a failure to chamber its not related to the side speed.
View Quote
I'm aware, but the opposite is also true, and that's what I think happened. The geometry was probably just fine, but something caused the slide to slow down enough to cause a problem.

My suspicion was that the GI grip safety with its wide openings that allow debris in the gun, allowed debris to get into the disconnector channel and keep the disconnector stuck in the up position and the slide got caught on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
He never expected the pistol to make it through the test. I can't stand the guy...
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
He is such the stereotype tactial timmy with the beard and all. Who can watch that channel?

Lots of folks I guess, but not me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's not really an issue with feed/barrel ramp geometry though. That's an issue with slide velocity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was failure to go into battery is a feeding issue.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He never expected the pistol to make it through the test. I can't stand the guy...
View Quote
Why would he? The test is designed to create failure at some point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He is such the stereotype tactial timmy with the beard and all. Who can watch that channel?

Lots of folks I guess, but not me.
View Quote
Actually he's really not. He a really nice guy. He also has a profound appreciation for the relics, the unusual, historic and otherwise interesting firearms. I don't think he's a 'stereotypical tactical timmy' at all. I picked up in this particular video a deep sentimental appreciation for the 1911 and respect for it. You guys get too hung up on whether it passed or failed. I'm sure he owns several 1911s and would love to talk about them at length with any of you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disagree. A feed issue is where the gun has improper geometry of some sort and the feeding of the cartridge is the malfunction.

If something gets in the disconnector channel and drags on the slide, preventing it from getting the necessary velocity to close into battery, that's not a failure to feed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I disagree. A feed issue is where the gun has improper geometry of some sort and the feeding of the cartridge is the malfunction.

If something gets in the disconnector channel and drags on the slide, preventing it from getting the necessary velocity to close into battery, that's not a failure to feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Imo, any failure to feed, is a failure to feed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top