Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 2:58:25 AM EDT
So I’ve been hunting down some parts for a long term build I’ve had rolling around in my head for a long time.

Kinda non-conventual Army style of something I saw once. So I wanted to use some USGI stuff mixed with some aftermarket updated for the time period.

My big pieces were a Contract Replacement Hard Slide. There were several companies from my understanding that provided these. I didn’t care about the MFG just wanted the drawing number, maybe cage code and it be in spec and able for modern use. I also wanted to use and USGI frame the was US marked or a reproduction or something that I could have the markings applied to.

My searches and WTB ads were coming up empty for both slide and frame. Do to timing I missed out on a near complete slide on another site.

While messing around on gunbroker I came across a “Vietnam era replacement slide” which turned out to be a Colt! Sweet! Drawing number on one side Colt roll mark on the other. Didn’t even know Colt had made such a thing.

So without further rambling I give you the first piece of the puzzle.

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
-Harrison Design Retro rear sight
-Trijicon HD front
-Matching front cocking serrations
-Hard use parts
-Kart Nation Match barrel (or a Colt)
-Nation Match Bushing
-Maybe some ejection port work, this baby will be ready to go!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool!  I like it.  I had no idea those slides existed and that you could get them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged to follow a cool project!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool!
I know the Marine Corps used Barsto barrels in their MEUSOCs. That’d be a good choice. As would much of the MEUSOC parts list
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool!
I know the Marine Corps used Barsto barrels in their MEUSOCs. That’d be a good choice. As would much of the MEUSOC parts list
View Quote
If I had that slide I would strongly consider an m45ish build on a Caspian frame.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Great score! I would be inclined to do GI 1911A1 build but with better ignition parts, barrel and sights.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool!
View Quote
Quoted:

If I had that slide I would strongly consider an m45ish build on a Caspian frame.
View Quote
Both are strong considerations. I have the sights planned out. But some MEUSOC parts might be used. Caspian frame is also considered.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Fit a MGW barrel bushing in the slide today. She’s tight

Got a line on a Commercial Colt Government from the same decade as the slide. Might get things moving a little faster
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of fun to be had building off these slides:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool!  I like it.  I had no idea those slides existed and that you could get them.
View Quote
my local shop has a bunch of oddball colt 1911 slides in their case....
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of fun to be had building off these slides:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180398/arms_room_jpg-1274038.JPG
View Quote
Dude that’s awesome
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Should be a nice build when done. looking forward to seeing what direction it takes.

Love the honest wear on the slide edges.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Got a base gun from ‘61 for it!

My contract slide is from the same era. However the gun is super tight and the contract frame will not go on more than 3/4 of the way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I assembled these three from mostly USGI parts.
All three are assembled using new stripped Armscor frames.
Top is Colt slide, all other parts GI except for reproduction wide spur hammer.
Middle is Remington Rand slide, all  other parts GI.
Bottom is Numax slide, GI barrel, other parts commercial.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to find one of the contract slides that isn't priced its weight in platinum.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I assembled these three from mostly USGI parts.
All three are assembled using new stripped Armscor frames.
Top is Colt slide, all other parts GI except for reproduction wide spur hammer.
Middle is Remington Rand slide, all  other parts GI.
Bottom is Numax slide, GI barrel, other parts commercial.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/28721/61ED70E8-AF1F-4330-ABC2-13D3E1B8DDE5_jpe-1282377.JPG
View Quote
I like this
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd like to find one of the contract slides that isn't priced its weight in platinum.
View Quote
I missed one for $200 on another site.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you going to keep the slide off your doner pistol or sell it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you going to keep the slide off your doner pistol or sell it?
View Quote
I think I’m going to sell that pistol and build the gun with this slide from the ground up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
That 60’s gun despite the aftermarket sights looks too pretty to part out. If you did not pay a premium for it or know you can flip it for a profit I would hold on to it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I like this
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Thanks, the top two were bought as complete slides and barrels, no frames or small parts.

The bottom one was bought from the EE on this forum; a collection of parts but never assembled. I had to fit the slide and frame together and I did use a different hammer, grip safety, grips, trigger and thumb safety but that was just personal preference, the parts bought with the “kit” would have worked fine. It was also the first experience that I ever had with an Armscor/Rock Island frame. I liked the quality of it well enough that I bought two more frames to use with the GI slides.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top