BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 40
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Awesome, the latest update provided the history on my pistol too!

It was with the:

0502 IN BN 01 CO A RIFLE COMP

Cass
View Quote
A Company
1st Battalion
502nd Infantry Regiment
101st Airborne Division

Rifle Comp is just an abbreviation indicating that the unit is a traditional rifle company.

In an Infantry Battalion you typically have:

HHC- Headquarters, Headquarters Company (contains specialty platoons such as CBRN, Commo, Sniper, Scout, Mortars, Medics, Command staff)
A Company- Rifle company
B Company- Rifle company
C Company- Rifle company
D Company- Heavy weapon support (MK 19, .50 cal, M240 and TOW)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Headquarters, Headquarters Company (HHC)
326th Engineer Battalion

TO is the last two positions of what is called a Unit Identifier Code (UIC). As an example the unit that I belong to is WPN7TO. It is the HHC of my battalion. In this case, there is no telling what the first four characters of your UIC is.

Rear Det is the abbreviation of 'Rear Detachment'. When a unit deploys, they typically have a Rear Detachment that will maintain limited administrative and logistics functions while the rest of the unit is outside of the US somewhere.

Often when a unit returns from deployment, the equipment is maintained under the rear detachment until it goes through a RESET process which takes deployed equipment and returns it to mission capable condition with no maintenance issues. Also during this team, a majority of the unit personnel tend to be on block leave (vacation).
View Quote
Thanks for the explanation!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Orange spring is 14#, that is in OEM P320 M17
OEM military M17 & M17 Commemorative is purple 15# for heavier, +P ammo which is what military is using
Most likely the heavily used OEM military spring is running less than 14# thus working with the lower power 115 gr
You can use a non-captured guide rod and run 1911 springs and tune to run specific ammo O/W your stuck with the captured 14# spring.
Having said that, did you clean and lube the gun?
View Quote
Thanks for the good info.
Yes, cleaned and lubed before and after.
Kim
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A Company
1st Battalion
502nd Infantry Regiment
101st Airborne Division

Rifle Comp is just an abbreviation indicating that the unit is a traditional rifle company.

In an Infantry Battalion you typically have:

HHC- Headquarters, Headquarters Company (contains specialty platoons such as CBRN, Commo, Sniper, Scout, Mortars, Medics, Command staff)
A Company- Rifle company
B Company- Rifle company
C Company- Rifle company
D Company- Heavy weapon support (MK 19, .50 cal, M240 and TOW)
View Quote
Thank you sir! That is very good to hear.

I had some of it figured out but wasn't sure on the 101st Airborne Division. Thanks for the added information!

Cass
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you guys translate?  Sorry if this is repetitive.

0506 IN BN 01 CO BO REAR DET

I understand the rear det part.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you guys translate?  Sorry if this is repetitive.

0506 IN BN 01 CO BO REAR DET

I understand the rear det part.

Thanks
View Quote
B Company
1st Battalion
506 Infantry Regiment
101st Airborne Division

As above in the previous example, the B0 is the last two characters of a six position UIC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there designated Companies that are Rear Detatchment  or is B Company a Rifle Company that is not deployed so it is functioning in a support role while as Rear Detatchment?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like a competition!

We need to see who can score the ugliest M17 out there. All the ones on GB are too pretty.
I want rack numbers, scuffs, gouges, etc.
View Quote
There’s one or two that the lanyard loop was blown out then melted to do I don’t know what. The one was pretty bad but I’d still own it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I ended up with a few on the info list last night

0327 IN BN 02 CO B0 Rear Det

Rear Detachment
Company B
2nd Battalion
327th Infantry Regiment (Bastogne Bulldogs it No Slack?)

Out of Ft Campbell, KY

And

HHC 1-327 Infantry Battalion

Headquarters 1 Battalion 327 Infantry

On the hunt for patch’s now
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Join the fb group and add your info to the master list. They are slowly working their way through all of the serial numbers and researching them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DecommissionedSurplusSigM17OwnersAssociation/
View Quote
I joined the group, not sure what this master list is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
@ericoak

iM sent

Disregard. Your Inbox is full
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
For anyone who may be interested, here is a short article I wrote about the LaserMax Defense Pistol Enhancer that is issued by the Army for the M17/M18.

http://looserounds.com/2020/02/21/lasermax-defense-pistol-enhancer-lmd-pe-ir-1/
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
@ericoak
After you join the group you can go to files or announcements on FB and access in read only the master list and research lists the group has compiled of serials and unit info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For anyone who may be interested, here is a short article I wrote about the LaserMax Defense Pistol Enhancer that is issued by the Army for the M17/M18.

http://looserounds.com/2020/02/21/lasermax-defense-pistol-enhancer-lmd-pe-ir-1/
View Quote
Great write up. Well done
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great write up. Well done
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I've struck out on all of mine so far. Still patiently waiting.

It's pretty neat to see where these have been.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I hit gold on my pistols, 4 out of 6 have histories so far:

419 = 1/75 Cavalry Troop C Dismounted 101 AB

1044= 1/506 IR Co C 101 AB

3212= 307th Support Battalion 82 AB

5114= 101AB HHC AA Headquarters Company

I am tickled pink with examples from both Paratroop Divisions and a Cavalry Unit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Rear det is just the portion of the company that doesn't deploy.

I was OIC of my company's Rear Detergent they deployed. It was dudes on injury, guys that come into the unit during deployment, and guys getting out for any number of reasons.

Its not a separate unit, it's a detachment from the unit itself.
View Quote
Roughly how many people does this rear detachment usually consist of? I'm seeing a quite a few of these M17s pop up with "rear detachment" tags on the master list.
It seems like they left almost as many M17s behind as they took with them, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Roughly how many people does this rear detachment usually consist of? I'm seeing a quite a few of these M17s pop up with "rear detachment" tags on the master list.
It seems like they left almost as many M17s behind as they took with them, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rear det is just the portion of the company that doesn't deploy.

I was OIC of my company's Rear Detergent they deployed. It was dudes on injury, guys that come into the unit during deployment, and guys getting out for any number of reasons.

Its not a separate unit, it's a detachment from the unit itself.
BLUF: they didn’t leave all those pistols at rear D while they deployed.
After the unit returns from deployment, the rear detachment can receive ownership of all equipment from the returning unit. If the equipment is destined for RESET, rear D has open accounts with the higher level (base-level) maintenance apparatus and they have personnel while those that were deployed are on leave.
Additionally in my experience, Rear D has the working arms room while the returning unit may not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

After the unit returns from deployment, the rear detachment can receive ownership of all equipment from the returning unit. If the equipment is destined for RESET, rear D has open accounts with the higher level (base-level) maintenance apparatus and they have personnel while those that were deployed are on leave.
Additionally in my experience, Rear D has the working arms room while the returning unit may not.
View Quote
This ^^^^

To add the pistols didn't get left behind. As the poster above said, the Rear Detachment is where the pistols last resided for accountability. If you were able to look at the pistol history, you would see the pistol was with the main unit before the Rear D.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This ^^^^

To add the pistols didn't get left behind. As the poster above said, the Rear Detachment is where the pistols last resided for accountability. If you were able to look at the pistol history, you would see the pistol was with the main unit before the Rear D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^^

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, the ones that come back with "rear detachment" were just transferred there as their last stop before being returned to Sig?
And all of the other information before "rear detachment" is the unit they were assigned to (and possibly deployed with) before turned over to the rear detachment?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I really don’t understand why this is on Facebook and not a forum like this?  Facebook is shit for gun stuff.  I’m just bitter because I deleted my Facebook account several years ago and refuse to use it for any reason.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really don’t understand why this is on Facebook and not a forum like this?  Facebook is shit for gun stuff.  I’m just bitter because I deleted my Facebook account several years ago and refuse to use it for any reason.
View Quote
Because more people use Facebook. Apparently a site is being made, but not ready yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unfortunately, forums like this are a dying breed. FB and places like "discord" are the current trend. But I agree with you, I'm used to and prefer a forum like this to the way FB or any of the other newish places people gather to discuss stuff is set up. I'm sure that I miss a lot of posts and replies because of the way FB is.
Oh well, what is it they say, "If you live in the past, you'll get left behind".
The way things are going, I'll be left behind soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I sincerely appreciate all of the work that has been put into this, but agree that the Facebook group is a hot mess.

A Subreddit would be best IMO, and I'd be happy to help with it if need be.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I was wondering what information you can gather and from where do you gather the information? I happen to have bought one too and am waiting for it to ship.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OEM military M17 & M17 Commemorative is purple 15# for heavier, +P ammo which is what military is using
Most likely the heavily used OEM military spring is running less than 14# thus working with the lower power 115 gr
You can use a non-captured guide rod and run 1911 springs and tune to run specific ammo O/W your stuck with the captured 14# spring.
View Quote
I still have an unfired M17 Commemmorative, that means if I use factory 115gr ammo, it will fail to extract and eject?

To clarify further, should I only be using one of these?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/winchester-usa-9mm-nato-124gr-fmj-ammunition-50rds-q4318.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
The optics plate on the surplus is 1 screw instead of 2 screw, does any manufacturer make an optic that directly mates to these?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This ^^^^

View Quote
This is definitely a likely scenario, but not the only scenario.  Only a full history on the individual pistol would give the details, as it is very possible that pistols of the rear det stayed stateside during the deployment of the forward.  This has been common for my deployments, as we only take the individual weapons needed to fill the ranks of the forward.  When our weapons return they do get assigned to the rear det and sent to RESET from there as mentioned above.  This happens prior to the rear and forward dets coming back together again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The optics plate on the surplus is 1 screw instead of 2 screw, does any manufacturer make an optic that directly mates to these?
View Quote
Leupold delta point pro and Sig Romeo
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was wondering what information you can gather and from where do you gather the information? I happen to have bought one too and am waiting for it to ship.

Thanks
View Quote
Some people are attempting to research the pistols in the army weapon database in the military. Nothing a civilian is going to readily be able to gather outside of a FOIA request and that is hit or miss.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#36]
These pistols had to have hurt the civilian commemorative M17s right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much. If you ever wanted a commemorative, now is a good time to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was able to pick one up that wasn't fired much for $725

But the gun shows around here still have NIB ones for $3000.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I still have an unfired M17 Commemmorative, that means if I use factory 115gr ammo, it will fail to extract and eject?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/winchester-usa-9mm-nato-124gr-fmj-ammunition-50rds-q4318.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it depends on what brand, I have shot 115 gr without any problems, can't remember what brand.
I doubt you will have any problems with a clean and lubed gun once several hundred rounds are through it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most surpluses, note I did not say all, in a year or so, will probably be selling for $400 give or take. Now in 50 years, that's a different story
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Most surpluses, note I did not say all, in a year or so, will probably be selling for $400 give or take. Now in 50 years, that's a different story
View Quote
I don't think you'll ever see one for $400 except for maybe at a garage sale put on by the family of a deceased collector.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was able to pick one up that wasn't fired much for $725

But the gun shows around here still have NIB ones for $3000.
View Quote

Nice score, I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those as well
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you find a stupid person desperately in need of money, you'll never find one for $400
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hit gold on my pistols, 4 out of 6 have histories so far:

419 = 1/75 Cavalry Troop C Dismounted 101 AB

1044= 1/506 IR Co C 101 AB

3212= 307th Support Battalion 82 AB

5114= 101AB HHC AA Headquarters Company

I am tickled pink with examples from both Paratroop Divisions and a Cavalry Unit.
View Quote
Thats awesome.  I have a few of these and joined the FB group but am confused on how to have research done on these serial numbers.  Do you have to post pics of all your serial numbers first on FB then someone researches or were your serial numbers already in the master list?  I checked and none of my serials are in the master list.  This is all a bit confusing and I am really interested in getting info but do not neccesarily want to post pictures on Facebook.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the heads up! I grabbed a couple. I wonder how "real-time" their inventory system is? Every time that I've tried order one of these, the order has been canceled.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for posting, I ordered one as it looks like $1200 is the going rate now.

edit, saw the post above, I hope this is not cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thats awesome.  I have a few of these and joined the FB group but am confused on how to have research done on these serial numbers.  Do you have to post pics of all your serial numbers first on FB then someone researches or were your serial numbers already in the master list?  I checked and none of my serials are in the master list.  This is all a bit confusing and I am really interested in getting info but do not neccesarily want to post pictures on Facebook.
View Quote
Pics of box, ser number, both sides of pistol, size of grip module, and any identifying features gets you on "the list" to be searched for.

You can post on there and get an admin to play middleman. I didn't want the spies of the Facebook algorithms tracking me to my pistols, so I've emailed them to a guy that volunteered to send them along.
Page / 40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top