Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2020 1:51:11 AM EDT
Lucky Gunner added a bunch of new calibers to their gel tests! 22LR, 22 Mag, 25Auto, 32ACP, 9mm Makarov, 32Sw long, 32H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag..

Pocket Pistol calibers
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting that.  The .32 did better than I would have thought.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish they would have tested Blazer 40gr 22lr.
I love that stuff. And hopefully it runs good in my lcp 22
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Given that Blazer is a round nose bullet, there’s pretty much no chance for expansion.

At 1235Fps, it matches the speed of the MiniMag round nose.

I’d expect the Blazer and MiniMag would have near identical performance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess its a good place to see velocity numbers
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Given that Blazer is a round nose bullet, there’s pretty much no chance for expansion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right.  Between that and the Federal LRN. Give a good rep of what the Blazer would do.

I'm kinda suprised at the speeds of the CCI Velocitor.  Thought they would have been faster for some reason.

I do like that nearly almost all of them failed to expand out of both barrel lengths. Took out the demon in my head that likes to banter on HP or RN when I go out in the woods with my 22 pistols.

Maybe a modified RN was the answer all along. Clip off the tip for a RNFP.    Or just buy CCI SGB
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check your hate for clear gel at the door.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im actually surprised these are allowed in the tech forums. They purposely provide misleading information.

The velocity data is actually a good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Im actually surprised these are allowed in the tech forums. They purposely provide misleading information.

View Quote
What's wrong with clear gel?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered some .22 WMR for some .22 TCM experiments from LG because they have done these helpful experiments.  I feel better about putting my MIL into a .22 LR she can run.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Clear gel gives different results than calibrated ballistic gel, but is much easier to deal w/ b/c it doesn't have to be closely temperature controlled.
Clear gel is becoming a consumer industry standard b/c it's reusable, easy to deal w/, and uh, clear. However, you shouldn't compare results btwn clear and ballistic gel - just as results from ballistic gel and actual shootings are not directly comparable.

It's a 6.5/6.8 argument.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Clear gel gives different results than calibrated ballistic gel, but is much easier to deal w/ b/c it doesn't have to be closely temperature controlled.
Clear gel is becoming a consumer industry standard b/c it's reusable, easy to deal w/, and uh, clear. However, you shouldn't compare results btwn clear and ballistic gel - just as results from ballistic gel and actual shootings are not directly comparable.

It's a 6.5/6.8 argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 6.5/6.8 argument.
Organic gel results have been found to correlate with actual shootings.

Clear gel doesn't. When testers specifically talk about fbi protocol and then display clear gel results it is blatantly dishonest.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: Organic gel results have been found to correlate with actual shootings.

Clear gel doesn't. When testers specifically talk about fbi protocol and then display clear gel results it is blatantly dishonest.
View Quote
Link to study on organic gel?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a 6.5/6.8 argument.
View Quote
Thanks, I will have to keep that in mind in the future.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Organic gel results have been found to correlate with actual shootings.

View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I worked there I recall Zhukov sending an scathing email schooling Chris on clear gel not giving true results.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s a good article and video to watch.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/09/clear-ballistics-gelatin-not-performing-like-real-ballistics-gelatin/
Projectiles tend to penetrate further in clear gel. If you know that, you can factor that in when you evaluate the results.

The temporary stretch cavity, maximum expansion, minimum expansion, and weight retention are similar between organic and Clear gel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Organic gel results have been found to correlate with actual shootings.

Note that unlike properly prepared and validated 10% ordnance gel, I am unaware of any testing done which correlates synthetic ballistic test media with actual shooting incident data..."DocGKR"
Real Ballistic Gelatin vs Clear Ballistics Gelatin

Clear Ballistics VS 10% gelatin
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/09/clear-ballistics-gelatin-not-performing-like-real-ballistics-gelatin/
Projectiles tend to penetrate further in clear gel. If you know that, you can factor that in when you evaluate the results.

The temporary stretch cavity, maximum expansion, minimum expansion, and weight retention are similar between organic and Clear gel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If bullets always penatrated 2" or 20% more than it would be fine imo. It varies from load to load.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I look forward to the 3rd part of this study, with the actual test results and conclusions. It will be nice to have some actual repeatable data generated under proper controlled conditions, although I do wish they were shooting 5 rounds per test, instead of just 3. This is the sort of thing the FBI should be doing, instead of leaving it to the industry and a journalist.
In the interim, we're stuck with "fudging" Clear Gel results and ballparking an 18 inch penetration to be sortamaybekinda equivalent to 12 inches in ballistic gelatin (my personal fudgefactor). It will be nice if even a rough "equivalent calibration factor" comes from the comparison.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Some interesting articles and videos, should keep me busy for a little bit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Although clear gel is not ideal. It can give comparison data when multiple loads are tested in the same gel, same day from the same guns.

I have not seen any evidence indicating the loads with the greatest penetration in clear gel would not also have the greatest penetration in ordnance gel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Although clear gel is not ideal. It can give comparison data when multiple loads are tested in the same gel, same day from the same guns.

I have not seen any evidence indicating the loads with the greatest penetration in clear gel would not also have the greatest penetration in ordnance gel.
View Quote
The problem lies in the fact that the difference isnt constant.
You cant predict how much more or less a bullet will penatrate.

Another good read
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn I really want a 327fed 3" w/ 100grn gold dots.  That would be about the perfect carry combo for a revolver, ever.  Especially if it was 7 rds.

Ruger....lcr maybe?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn I really want a 327fed 3" w/ 100grn gold dots.  That would be about the perfect carry combo for a revolver, ever.  Especially if it was 7 rds.

Ruger....lcr maybe?
View Quote
I too am interested in the 327 mag. Lcr is about your only option. The sp101 is a good gun but it’s a brick
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#26]
That new half lugged blued 3" sp101 sure would make a nice 6 shot .327
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
If I could carry a centerfire handgun on public land here (rimfire only) I would get a Single Seven 5 1/2in. In 327.  Not quite a pocket gun but pretty dang close.

32 acp for squirrel and such. 327 for deer.  
It's a perfect woods gun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
The third part of the PoliceOne study that 03RN linked above:
Ballistic gelatin v. clear gel, part 3

The conclusions are not unexpected: Clear gelatin overstates penetration and understates expansion. It should be noted that none of the Clear Gel blocks met calibration standards, with the calibration BB penetrating an average of 25% farther than the standards allow. In theory, we could just apply a 25% correction, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Testing showed that the overpenetration averages 35.5% in the bare test (range 34.4 - 36.3%), but 48% deeper in the clothed test, with a rather wide range of 38 - 56% more penetration in clear gelatin than in calibrated ballistic gel. Compare that to the more limited Brass Fetcher findings of 20 - 25% deeper penetration in bare clear gel (study liked above by 03RN).

So, despite my hopes, there is no apparent reliable "correction factor" from these tests. Clear gelatin will show a penetration increase of anything from a couple inches to 6 inches greater than calibrated ballistic gelatin. The sine qua non of a useful test medium is reproducibility. Ballistic gelatin is definitely a bit of a PITA regarding preparation and handling, and many still argue against the validity of "jello testing", but it doesn't look like clear gel is a viable substitute at this point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Still probably better than wet phone books & water bottles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top