Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2022 7:05:49 PM EDT
Cross posted from GD

How did I fix this holster? So incredibly loose
Kirkpatrick leather (the OEM, purchased in 2022) won’t respond to my emails
I think having a piece of leather sewn on the inside where the blue line shows just to absorb some of that volume in there. Maybe 1” tall leather all the way belt loop to belt loop. I don’t need to be able to do American Ninja Warrior comps but maybe just hold it upside down and it not fall out.

Hopeless or doable? Who would I contact?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it like this new from the holster maker or did it stretch out over time? You say 2022 so I assume it's new but just checking.

The best solution is to get the holster maker to fix it, but it sounds like that's not working, so if you're not concerned about voiding the warranty, you can try to wet mold it yourself. There's a lot of instructions online on wet molding a leather holster, but it's pretty easy if you have patience. I did it with cheap leather generic holsters to mold to specific guns and it helped. I'd try that before sewing additional leather.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By starn:
Was it like this new from the holster maker or did it stretch out over time? You say 2022 so I assume it's new but just checking.

The best solution is to get the holster maker to fix it, but it sounds like that's not working, so if you're not concerned about voiding the warranty, you can try to wet mold it yourself. There's a lot of instructions online on wet molding a leather holster, but it's pretty easy if you have patience. I did it with cheap leather generic holsters to mold to specific guns and it helped. I'd try that before sewing additional leather.
View Quote

July 8th

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly that looks bad enough to make me think they sent you a holster for a larger frame gun. It’s not even remotely suitable for carry. If the manufacturer is blowing you off and you want to just putter around with it, I’d get a strip of leather and just glue it in place. But then too I might just cut the seams and refit the leather myself. That’s embarrassingly bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:49:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#4]
Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
Honestly that looks bad enough to make me think they sent you a holster for a larger frame gun. It’s not even remotely suitable for carry. If the manufacturer is blowing you off and you want to just putter around with it, I’d get a strip of leather and just glue it in place. But then too I might just cut the seams and refit the leather myself. That’s embarrassingly bad.
View Quote

So they didn’t have this specific model in their drop down list and they “did me a favor” making this. It’s a “pre” model 10 .38

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like an L orN frame holster with a K frame gun. Either you ordered the wrong size or they sent the wrong one
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I can’t really tell from the pics but is that an actual ‘K’ frame or is it an ‘I’ frame?   Looking closer it DEFINITELY isn’t correct for that frame size and your follow on post makes me wonder.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By captain127:
Looks like an L orN frame holster with a K frame gun. Either you ordered the wrong size or they sent the wrong one
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:

This.

Attachment Attached File

I sent them a photo, posted above

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Yeah, that holster's not just a little loose it is totally wrong.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CorruptBureaucrat:

View Quote

See my photos above for placing blame - me or them? lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CorruptBureaucrat:

Them.

I've never heard anything bad about them but in all the leather threads I'm not sure I've seen their name mentioned. I know they make a lot of cowboy stuff but I stick with the custom makers for a reason.

Milt Sparks
Kramer
Ryan Grizzle
Mernickle
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:11:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#12]
Anyone have some fix-it ideas? Shops that I could pay to help out?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
My take is that you're better off finding out what actually fits that holster and selling it, then buy a proper fitting holster for your gun.
A pain, but a MUCH better result.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Buy a gun that fits.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Buy a gun that fits.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Buy a gun that fits.

Attachment Attached File

Not a bad strategy
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My 66-2 is almost a perfect fit
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#17]
My 66-2 is almost a perfect fit
View Quote

That’s interesting, since both are K frame revolvers. Are the barrels the same length?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Them.

I've never heard anything bad about them but in all the leather threads I'm not sure I've seen their name mentioned. I know they make a lot of cowboy stuff but I stick with the custom makers for a reason.

Milt Sparks
Kramer
Ryan Grizzle
Mernickle
View Quote

Ryan and Kay are the best,  I love their work,  and good folks to boot... I have 3 more on order from him right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Them.

Milt Sparks
Kramer
Ryan Grizzle
Mernickle
View Quote

Kirkpatrick Leather is a custom maker. I own three complete rigs(holster, mag carrier/cartridge loop slide and belt) as well as couple of OWB conceal carry holsters. All are extremely well made and properly fitted for the handgun. But my last transaction with them this past week was a real puzzler. I purchased an "in-stock" OWB holster that was listed as "Left Hand" configuration. What I received was the correct holster, only it was in "Right Hand" configuration. I sent it back to them along with a note detailing their error and asking for the advertised "Left Hand" holster. I'll post in this thread how this all plays out.
Gary
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive had a couple bad experiences with Kirkpatricks.  One holster that was even remotely close to the ordered size  and one that was received in the right hand instead of left.   They corrected the mistakes but it took a LONG time.   Ive found other makers to use
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Reloder56:

Kirkpatrick Leather is a custom maker. I own three complete rigs(holster, mag carrier/cartridge loop slide and belt) as well as couple of OWB conceal carry holsters. All are extremely well made and properly fitted for the handgun. But my last transaction with them this past week was a real puzzler. I purchased an "in-stock" OWB holster that was listed as "Left Hand" configuration. What I received was the correct holster, only it was in "Right Hand" configuration. I sent it back to them along with a note detailing their error and asking for the advertised "Left Hand" holster. I'll post in this thread how this all plays out.
Gary
View Quote

Just a follow up on my reply to this thread. Kirkpatrick Custom Leather refunded my purchase price + shipping after I shipped the holster back to them. I'm still out the return shipping cost of $13.80. No mention of replacing it with a "Left Hand" version of the holster.
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top