Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2023 6:31:04 PM EDT
I got a tx22 for my birthday. What’s some good brands or some to maybe avoid.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You will get lots of different answers on this. I broke mine in with 100 rounds of CCI Stingers. Since then it will run just about anything, even Remington Golden bullets. Most seem to be running CCI standard or high velocity in theirs. The main thing before you shoot the gun is clean the magazines. If you don't take them apart, at least run a brush or a patch through them. That seems to be the cure for failures to feed. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I have enough of that ammo. Never thought to go over mags. Great help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my daughter a TX22 for Christmas. So far CCI Blazer, Remington Golden Bullet, CCI Stinger, Federal Automatch, and CCI Velocitor all work well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
These TX22’s have a good reputation for reliability with a variety of ammo.

I will freely admit I am a 22 ammo snob, as most of my use of 22’s is precision competition where most anything made in the US isn’t even considered adequate most of the time.

My preferences for ammo go like this ( I shoot a fair amount of centerfire, but probably shoot more 22 in a month regularly than center fire all year)

For domestic ammo best by far is CCI. For general plinking I like the mini mag and ar tactical. For more accuracy and less noise ( and consistently subsonic out of pistol length barrels if using a can) CCI standard velocity.

Not really domestic but my next best choice is aguila either the plated HV round nose or unplated standard velocity round nose. In my experience better quality than anything else listed below

A couple notches down is anything made by federal, then a whole staircase lower in quality tied for worst of the worst is anything Remington or Winchester makes ( cabelas brand herters and also browning brand ammo is Winchester in a different package)
I literally shoot these last 2 only if I get it for free. I won’t buy it.

If you really want quality 22 that will provide the utmost accuracy and consistency it is all made in Europe- eley, lapua, SK, rws. Be warned though it is both expensive and almost all is designed for precision shooting and in some semis especially when new may not have enough energy to cycle reliably

Last.y anything bulk packed, is whatever lowest quality ammo a factory can produce and still sell - I avoid it at all costs unless it is absolutely the last resort
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info . Tomorrow is the day to take it to the indoor range with various CCI, some Remington Golden, and some Federal Auto match. I will look for the others mentioned. IF…this pistol turns out like the pleasant surprise my G3C has been, I may get another just for the daughters to use.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine doesn't like the Winchester 333 bulk pack stuff, but that stuff isn't very good IMHO. CCI mini mags and CCI standard velocity work close to 100 percent. It also runs good on federal bulk pack. That is all I have tried so far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I finally took it out this weekend and along with the mini mags and CCI std velstuff, I put 100  rounds of federal auto match thru it and I was surprised as there were no problems. I did replace the recoil assembly first as I did with a G3c first. Total rounds were 350. Not bad. I also cleaned my mags first as mentioned by a poster too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a bunch of Remington Golden bullets back when they were way cheap.

Both my TX22s love it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've shot a mix of .22lr out of my TX22. It's been reliable with everything.

Thunderbolts
Federal Bulk- 36 grain, 38 grain, and 40 grain
Remington Golden
Winchester 333 Boxes
CCI
Blazer
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I had good consistency with the Fed. Automatch.
Sounded the same with each shot, grouped well, and was reliable, though I never had any I can remember that wasn't reliable when I shot that pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
So far I’ve had no problems with the ammo I’ve mentioned in an earlier post above and I’ve shot quite a bit more auto match without a problem. I would like to think cleaning the gun first including the mags helped. Has anyone tried quiet ammo thru a tx22 ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I own 2 tx22’s both run everything have seen a few failure after 1000 plus round with no cleaning 2 in that has about 3k though it and 3 issues on the other with about 12 k through it. All issue rounds were rem golden bullet 3 out of the five would not fire 2 were failures to eject. I have shot cci blazer federal black pack bulk , automatch federal , velocitors , stingers, punch Winchester m22  and 333 bulk pack, as well as every type of subsonic I can get my hands on.
I would say the best ammo available in quantity is the cci minimag
Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I like CCI SV. It runs great in the pistols I use. Also, works good suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I think after a little shooting,  the CCI might be a good overall choice for my TX22. I’ve ordered some Aguila Super extra high velocity 38 gr hollow point and subsonic 40gr to try next week. After shooting 300 rounds of Federal Automatch there were a couple or so hang ups but nothing I am worried about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top