Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 4/8/2020 2:15:01 PM EDT
I got this Delta Elite basically for free and I'm wondering if it is worth sending to Custom Shop Inc. for restoration.

I was brave enough to test fire a few rounds and I still have all of my fingers. The barrel and slide are fine, but I still don't trust it.

Should I just shoot light .40 loads out of it while wearing kevlar gloves and a face mask until it blows up again, or send it in to be restored?

Would Custom Shop Inc be able to restore this, and would it even be worth it?

It's okay with me that it can't be re-blued without looking like crap. I would have it cerakoted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That needs a frame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF?  Someone needs to be flogged!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't hurt to see what the Custom Shop says about it....
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I would send it in.  They might offer to sell you a new frame and fit it all together again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't hurt to see what the Custom Shop says about it....
View Quote

They won't tell me anything unless I send it in. Overnight shipping is like $220 round trip, or send it via an FFL for about half as much including the $20 transfer back to me.

I know little about 1911s and wanted to check here just to see if it were even possible or worthwhile to have it worked on again. I might just get a new frame as suggested above and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What a shame, that's not even cracked where the pre enhanced Delta Elite's were prone to cracking.

Send it in to Colt, they worse they can say is no, and they might make you a deal on a new frame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What a shame, that's not even cracked where the pre enhanced Delta Elite's were prone to cracking.

Send it in to Colt, they worse they can say is no, and they might make you a deal on a new frame.
View Quote

Colt told me there was nothing they could do for me, but they did recommend Custom Shop Inc as my best bet if I wanted it as close to 100% as possible.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you got it for free, send it to colt have them put a new frame on it. Worst case your out 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Still cheaper than a new one.

That is a dumpster fire of a frame and I would not trust full power loads in that. No way in hell.

Your hands are worth it
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Reputable smith could install a new frame and have you back underway. Id call around to the various shops. Brown, Wilson, Clark, Nighthawk, Fusion. Frames arent really that high.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reputable smith could install a new frame and have you back underway. Id call around to the various shops. Brown, Wilson, Clark, Nighthawk, Fusion. Frames arent really that high.
View Quote

This seems to be the best option. I'm going to get a new frame, replace the aftermarket parts and get it refinished.  

It's never going to be as good as new either way. I might as well give it a new non-bubba'd life.

I'll try to throw up some pics when it's done.  

Thank you all for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit, was that found on a drug smuggler's shipwreck while on a dive?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That's brutal.  I wonder if that was done by a "gunsmith"?  Lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeeze...looks like it had some kind of bridge mount on it, that mounted to both sides of the dust cover (you can see the holes filled in on the left side)...and I'm wondering if they got exuberant on filling it in on the right side and burned through the dust cover on that side trying to fill it in?

Either way - you can technically lop off the dust cover and it'll still run, more or less...I mean, it's called "dust cover", and all it really does is keep dust out of the recoil spring assembly... You'd need a full length guide rod, and you need to leave at least a nub of cover left so the guide rod won't slide out, but...well, you get the idea.

Either way, oof. That is a project and a half.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jeeze...looks like it had some kind of bridge mount on it, that mounted to both sides of the dust cover (you can see the holes filled in on the left side)...and I'm wondering if they got exuberant on filling it in on the right side and burned through the dust cover on that side trying to fill it in?

Either way - you can technically lop off the dust cover and it'll still run, more or less...I mean, it's called "dust cover", and all it really does is keep dust out of the recoil spring assembly... You'd need a full length guide rod, and you need to leave at least a nub of cover left so the guide rod won't slide out, but...well, you get the idea.

Either way, oof. That is a project and a half.
View Quote

They did a fairly decent job on the left side, but the right side is hot garbage. The top of both sides are mostly square at least, mostly.

I am guessing it started to crack like the one in the photo below and ended up as is.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, that looks about right tbh...they could have just drilled a tiny hole to stop the crack and maybe gone back over it with a light touch on a welder, but no...they had to let the 15 year old in vo-tec school tackle it as his first project
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Just see what Colt will charge you for fitting up a new frame.  That thing has little juice left per squeeze.

What does the rest of the gun look like?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
Uhh, what?  As the owner of a couple older Deltas you have piqued my curiosity. Could you please expound on this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
Originally Posted By 50-140:
What a shame, that's not even cracked where the pre enhanced Delta Elite's were prone to cracking. 

Uhh, what?  As the owner of a couple older Deltas you have piqued my curiosity. Could you please expound on this?

Google "delta elite frame crack" and/or "delta elite frame cut"
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#20]
When it comes to welding up a 1911 frame, give this guy a call.

http://www.innovativecustomguns.com/
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Agree frame is toast for any serious caliber. But I would feel ok about running a .22 conversion kit on the botched frame.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Why is shipping through an FFL so expensive? FFLs can ship handguns through USPS and it doesn’t have to be overnight. No way it should be $120
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top