Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2020 2:22:16 AM EDT
Been looking at getting a revolver. Looking at uberti and taylor. There's a shit ton of choices. What's a good option that won't break the bank? The Colts are priced a bit higher than I'd like to spend. I know for sure I want it to be cased hardened. Love that look.
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You looking at modern, a conversion, or percussion?
I prefer the looks and handling of the 1851 Navy or the 1861 Navy. Pietta or Uberti are good to go.
You can get a Taylor conversion cylinder to shoot mild 38 loads. I have a conversion for 1860 Army that shoots mild cowboy 45LC.
Modern, look Ruger.
Just my opinion, others will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want a shooter with adjustable sights you can’t go wrong with a Ruger flat top Blackhawk, made in a variety of calibers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger Vaquero
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I would get the Uberti or Taylor.  They are close to the original Colt

I like the Ruger Vaquero but it isn't really case hardened. It is an acid etch process.  I had one and the color faded over time
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the Ruger Vaquero but it isn't really case hardened. It is an acid etch process.  I had one and the color faded over time
View Quote
as did mine, a .44 Bisley Vaquero.  it looks like puke.   any suggestions on how to refinish just the frame? the rest looks great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well shit, definitely don't want it fading into a gross looking mess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm. It also came with a .40cal cylinder. Love the SAO. Great gun for around 700 bucks. Shoots great!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero
View Quote
Ruger NEW Vaquero, that should be.

I got rid of my original Vaquero because the grip never felt right.

New Vaquero grip is same as Colt SAA grip.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero
View Quote
Uberti and Pietta both use chemical processes; they are not ACTUALLY color case hardened.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

as did mine, a .44 Bisley Vaquero.  it looks like puke.   any suggestions on how to refinish just the frame? the rest looks great.
View Quote
There are a number of outfits that do real color case hardening.  Just pony up the cash and send it to one of them.  To my eye, Turnbull gets "American" case colors better than most anyone else.  In the US case colors tended to show more of the browns and rust colors whereas UK and Continental favored more of the blues.  They all look cool to my eyes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Been looking at getting a revolver. Looking at uberti and taylor. There's a shit ton of choices. What's a good option that won't break the bank? The Colts are priced a bit higher than I'd like to spend. I know for sure I want it to be cased hardened. Love that look.
Thanks for the input!
View Quote
Well it kinda matters what you want to do with the thing.  If you want the Colt Single Action experience, the Uberti & Pietta's are very close to the original Colts.  If you like the case hardened look, to my eye Uberti does the best of the chemical processes and often looks like real case hardening.  I prefer Uberti over Pietta just out of personal preference; I think their finish is a little nicer.

If you just want to shoot a single action revolver that looks like a Colt, but don't want any of the 19th century inconveniences, then buy the Ruger Vaquero.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, you have to go aftermarket to get real color case hardening.  The process is too expensive compared to others for them to use.  I don't know of any of the SAA style gun companies that do it.  One might exist but it would likely be pricey.

Best bet is to get one that has the fake CCH and then save your change until you can have it done at a later date.  As mentioned Doug Turnbull is the undisputed king of color case hardening.

Personally I prefer the Ruger New Vaqueros.  I have a stainless Ruger New Vaquero Bisley .45 Colt that is sweet.
They are strong, look great and the transfer bar system allows the safe carry of the full six rounds.  I firmly believe that Colt would have used the same system had they thought of it.  A lot of folks in the old west would have been buried with all their toes.

If you just want the old four click 5 shot Colt style I would recommend one of the Italians with an upgraded action job from the factory.  I handled an Evil Roy model (pretty sure it's a Uberti) and it was really nice.  It's usually cheaper to buy one tweaked from the factory than sending it off to have it done later.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like my Uberti SAA clone. Went with a 4" barrel in 45LC. Went with the Evil Roy model which has a slicked up action, it's very nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
horsepower or classic old school ?

ARFCOM GET BOTH

5.5" 44mag superblackhawk

Dixie gunworks ( uberti) old model 44 special

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
You're going to have to pick your priorities. If you want more the Colt SSA look at a cheap price then the Uberti, etc. are going to be your best bet but you won't get real case hardening. Or you can get a real Colt but they aren't cheap.

If you want real case hardening you could look for something like the Turnbull Super Blackhawk (middle revolver in the pic below). Those are not too hard to find. I love that revolver. Really fun to shoot and looks cool as well.

If you want old school-ish in a modern revolver and case hardening isn't crucial then a Vaquero is probably your best option. I'll need to get one eventually in 45LC.

If you just want a fun, reliable SA revolver then get a Blackhawk in whatever metal you like (mine is stainless in the pic below). A 357 is probably a good all around choice, but they come in other calibers including 45LC. Or a Bisley style if you prefer.

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I already own 10 SA revolvers and all but one are Uberti's. I have WAY more than I need, but these beauties are so tempting-

Great Western II "Californian"

Or for the price of a Blackhawk-

Dlx "Grande Californian"

Physically they're all but identical to a Colt where Uberti's are ever so slightly larger.

Rugers? Bah….built like tanks, look like tanks and feel like tanks. My Blackhawk sits in the safe gathering dust.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a lot of Ruger single actions, a few others, but my favorite is my 5.5" Super Blackhawk .44 mag, looks just like the one Derek45 posted above, sights and all.  It's VERY accurate and hits hard, but if you handload, or plan to, you can load it down for plinking or whatever you prefer.  I also think the 357 Blackhawks are nice, they're a good option if you want to shoot a little bit cheaper but still have quite a bit of gun, the 357 and 44 are highly versatile options.  I'd get stainless though, Rugers bluing isn't the best, I mean it's not bad but it's not very robust and will rub off relatively quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top