Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 10:54:33 AM EDT
Right to carry is coming in my state. I've got a Glock 26 I plan to carry. I'm not big on the way IWB holsters feel/fit, especially when it comes to riding in a vehicle as far as comfort and access is concerned. I think I'd like a decent OWB holster, I'm not real concerned about concealability but more function and comfort. Something that might be covered by a long t-shirt or similar would be welcome I guess, but the truth is I don't know where to start.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Member goodmedicine
Kore
Daltech
Wilderness
Best kydex holster is by ARF member goodmedicine and since a good belt is just as important as the holster I have multiples of the above links.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]
IWB can be very comfortable with a good holster, to the point you just forget it's there.

https://www.comp-tac.com/spartan-holster\

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Having a retention strap is good on shoulder holsters, but not so much on OWB holsters, especially if you want to practice drawing and reholstering one handed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
@AR15thur  I'd post in your HTF and see if anyone locally has some holsters you can check out.  I carry a g19 appendix regardless of the situation.  Only time I do owb is at a pistol match/class.   If you're willing to try aiwb I love my Tenicor holsters & my Phlster pro.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
right here
View Quote

Went for this due to price and look. Thank you
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gone primarily to cross-draw.  Comfortable, accessible with both hands, and works great while seated in a vehicle.

This is the Crossbones from Privateer Leather.  They have a cross-draw magazine holster now too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Tactical Justice
Concealment Express
Shadow Holsters (ARFCOM's own goodmedicine)
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

kramer
View Quote
This right here. Kramer belt scabbard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm one of the original 5000 concealed permits in the state of Florida, though my job as a classroom teacher prohibited carry at work... but a couple of comments... I've carried daily since retirement (11 yrs), and have been a practical shooting competitor since 1981

good belt... I rode a Yamaha FJR for several years, and had to move high on the tank to swing my leg over... to prevent scratching the tank, I started using the under belt from my competition rig (Uncle Mikes)... it is very stiff and thick, though for a 1 1/2" belt is not too uncomfortable

skin flap... Florida has some unique requirements due to heat and humidity... you need to protect both your skin and help protect the finish of the pistol

adjustable cant and height... most all thermoplastic holsters have multiple cant and height above belt line adjustments, not all leather products do

belt clip... I find it is advantageous to have an easy on/off gun/holster package... my 1 1/2" belt clip holds very secure, and the hook lip grabs the thick belt firmly

material...I shot a Milt Sparks 1AT for about 5 years for USPSA, and it was looking pretty sad due to sweat when it was retired... I changed to thermoplastic with the Bill Rogers line that later became Safariland... I prefer a vacuum molded holster of sheet kydex rather than the less expensive injection molded holsters

IWB/OWB... I prefer to have the belt to the outside of the holster to provide extra support... my IWB holster works well if placed between my pants and the belt outside

position... I have shot a lot of practical and 3 gun matches with my pistol at 3:00, so that is where my carry pistol is located...I carry a G43x in a Tulster holster with a nylon cape back flats fishing shirt as a cover up... it clears the seat belt chest strap, but I do have to make sure I don't sit on the shirt tail and can access the pistol

regards... my recommendation https://tulster.com/holsters-by-gun-model/glock/g26-27-28-33/
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kramer

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of good suggestions in this thread, but don't buy a $100 holster and hang it on a $5 belt.  Get a quality carry belt, and a quality holster.  

A good thick, rigid, belt.  Designed for carry, that will support the weight of gun/ammo.

I've been carrying everyday for over 30 years, I have all kinds of holsters mostly fairly inexpensive, Kramer, Raven, Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi, crossbreed.   Without a good belt, they aren't worth a crap.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Go on eBay and find a discontinued Raven Phantom.  I have one for my duty gun for plainclothes and my off duty gun.  Awesome holsters.  

Also get a Beltman belt.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
So, you "plan" to carry a G26.
How much have you actually carried it?

I ask because you seem to have already made up your mind that an IWB is uncomfortable.

How do you know?

I ask the question because I have carried a G26 for years in an IWB CompTac Mtac and I find it to be the most comfortable set up I have ever tried.  And that includes seated in a car while driving.  In fact, I can barely feel it there at all.

Obviously, everyone's body is different and maybe for you this set up is, or will be, uncomfortable.
But have you actually tried it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, you "plan" to carry a G26.
How much have you actually carried it?

I ask because you seem to have already made up your mind that an IWB is uncomfortable.

How do you know?

I ask the question because I have carried a G26 for years in an IWB CompTac Mtac and I find it to be the most comfortable set up I have ever tried.  And that includes seated in a car while driving.  In fact, I can barely feel it there at all.

Obviously, everyone's body is different and maybe for you this set up is, or will be, uncomfortable.
But have you actually tried it?
View Quote

Yea I've tried it almost exclusively up to this point. I carry around home, and basically everywhere except where I can't legally already. The biggest issue for me is riding in a vehicle or sitting at a desk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yea I've tried it almost exclusively up to this point. I carry around home, and basically everywhere except where I can't legally already. The biggest issue for me is riding in a vehicle or sitting at a desk.
View Quote

Right there, that proves it.
There just is no one size fits all answer when it comes to concealed carry.
It's always going to be a customization issue, trial and error, and................a drawer full of holsters that didn't work.
Best to you in eventually coming up with the answer.

Here's my last suggestion.
In addition to the comments regarding belts (which are true) another thing that helps a lot are the type of trousers one wears.
I discovered that Wrangler jeans with the small percentage of Spandex (1 or 3%, can't remember) really help hugely; both in terms of comfort, but also in helping to stop holster shifting.
...............all I got............

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Also adding ~1" to your normal waist measurement when buying pants will certainly make IWB more comfortable.

I can IWB carry a VP9sk comfortably all day, sitting at a desk, riding in a car, everything.

good holster + stiff belt + correctly sized pants = comfort
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IWB can be very comfortable with a good holster, to the point you just forget it's there.

https://www.comp-tac.com/spartan-holster
View Quote
I agree, but Crossbreed and Galco King Tuk are even more comfortable.  I have all of them and wear them all day long, driving, cooking, ATV riding, etc.

The C-tac can start to dig a little on long walks.

Amazon carries Galco and Crossbreed, so just two clicks and it is on the way from the evil empire.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've gone primarily to cross-draw.  Comfortable, accessible with both hands, and works great while seated in a vehicle.

This is the Crossbones from Privateer Leather.  They have a cross-draw magazine holster now too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/CrossDrawSM_jpg-1902708.JPG
View Quote
I have out-drawn some pretty good shooters with my cross draw, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, if you practice with it regularly.

As a bit of trivia, San Diego County Sheriff's deputies used to be authorized to carry two 1911s at the same time, one strong side, one cross draw.  I have actually seeent it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a bit of trivia, San Diego County Sheriff's deputies used to be authorized to carry two 1911s at the same time, one strong side, one cross draw.  I have actually seen it.
View Quote

I wish you'd gotten a picture of that!

OP, here's three pages of G26 OWB & IWB holsters on the Crossbred Seconds site.  It will allow you to try them very inexpensively.  

https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/glock-26/
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wish you'd gotten a picture of that!

OP, here's three pages of G26 OWB & IWB holsters on the Crossbred Seconds site.  It will allow you to try them very inexpensively.  

https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/glock-26/
View Quote
I'll say it, that's a good place to pick up a gun belt as well for very little output.  OP if you don't have a good carry belt you should peruse their belt listings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
High Noon Holsters has a ton of holster options, many for OWB.

Andrews Leather is very good.

Mitch Rosen.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Go on eBay and find a discontinued Raven Phantom.  I have one for my duty gun for plainclothes and my off duty gun.  Awesome holsters.  

Also get a Beltman belt.
View Quote

This.  I carry a G27 in a Raven Phantom all day everyday.  Carry OWB at 3:00-3:30 is just perfect for me.  It keeps the gun nice and tight to the body.  Comfy on long 8+ hour road trips.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:53:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lots of good suggestions in this thread, but don't buy a $100 holster and hang it on a $5 belt.  Get a quality carry belt, and a quality holster.  

A good thick, rigid, belt.  Designed for carry, that will support the weight of gun/ammo.

I've been carrying everyday for over 30 years, I have all kinds of holsters mostly fairly inexpensive, Kramer, Raven, Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi, crossbreed.   Without a good belt, they aren't worth a crap.
View Quote

This is solid advice!  

I carry a full sized 1911 in a Mild Sparks Summer Special ll and it's comfortable.  I also will occasionally carry a Glock 19 in a cheap leather holster appendix carry.  I've gotten comfortable with this style as I've slimmed down a good bit.  It's also very accessable while belted into a car seat.

A friend used to open carry a blued 1911 in a black holster,  on a black belt with black jeans and it was surprising how few people actually noticed.  Hidden in plain sight,  as it were.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top