Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 12:22:30 PM EDT
What are your pet loads? Anyone still using something similar to the treasury load? Something similar to the FBI load? I've got some steel K frames that I've been thinking about playing with some heavier loads in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Loads for what purpose ? Plinking, target, self defense ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My load data

I have found that the chrono data I got when it was in the teens is a little slower. That 13.5gr aa9 under 170gr swc averaged 1200fps when it was in the 50s.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My load data

I have found that the chrono data I got when it was in the teens is a little slower. That 13.5gr aa9 under 170gr swc averaged 1200fps when it was in the 50s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My load data

I was hoping you would show up.

Quoted:

Little bit of both target and self defense. Mostly I just wanted to spark some conversation.

My ulterior motive is hunting something to shoot out of my model 15.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Little bit of both target and self defense. Mostly I just wanted to spark some conversation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My load data

Quoted:

I would be pretty content if my only handgun was a 4" M15 and my only load 5.7gr be-86 under a 158gr swc for 1k fps
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Not trying to be a dick but you would likely get more answers in the Reloading section...

Most of my recent loads have been for steel, IDPA, or USPSA so they are pretty light. I haven't loaded 357 for years but I have loaded a good bit of 38 Special and 38 Short Colt.

For 38 SC I load a 158 grain round nose of some type. I have loaded Berry's, Ranier, Xtreme, and BBI with some regularity. I always use Hp-38/WW231 but the actual powder charge escapes me at the minute. I try to keep those at about 850 fps. All of my loads are over anything I have found in any manuals for 38 SC because it is such an old cartridge and vintage guns can't take the pressure. I shoot all mine through a N frame S&W so I am not real worried about the pressure level I generate at those velocities.

For 38 Special I use the same bullets but may use HP=38/WW231, WST, or Bullseye. I also try to keep those at 825-850 fps as well.

In both cases I use Federal Small Pistol primers if possible since it gets me about a pound lighter on the trigger with drop dead reliable ignition.

I don't reload anything hot for any pistol cartridges except 44 mag since that is the only one I hunt with. I use store bought for personal protection.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
.357: maximum load of 296 and 125gr JHP
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, there are a few reasons to reload, and better accuracy or ballistics are a couple.
My personal advice is to never exceed an accepted published load approved by the powder or bullet maker. Do not try to venture into uncharted territory!
For any serious purpose, my ammo is factory.
For reloads my focus is accuracy and economy so I tend to load on the light side. The classic 148 wad cutter with 2.7 of bullseye for example.
As a general rule when developing a load ( again strictly range use ) I usually start in the middle of the data ( for example if a loading manual gives a range of 3 to 5 grains of powder, I start with 4. If I get the accuracy I want ( and in semi autos reliable functioning) I quit right there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
for decent cheap (and usually available in a panic) field loads I run 3.4 red dot on 158 copper plated. reasonably accurate, I was  popping a 4 inch steel angle iron in the ground at 100 yards with a buddy out of the 1873 after West ended. haven't actually ever used it on paper, but I've loaded a few thousand with that recipe. (note, CHECK your loading manuals FIRST. I'm shooting rugers and a miroku toggle exclusively, so I sometimes cross that line. your revolver, your throat, your loads.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
15.0 grains (minimum load) of Winchester 296 under a coated 158gr flat point from SNS Casting. I really need to get out and chrono it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I use 3.65 grains (ten throws equals 36.5 grains) of WW-231 under 158 grain SWC lead bullets in .38 Special. 850 fps from my 4" barreled S&W revolvers.

This is load is as old school and pedestrian as you can get and it works.

I see no reason to change it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried to duplicate the old Border Patrol load in .357, a 110gr JHP at roughly 1300 from a 4" barrel, with relatively mild pressures and recoil?  Something like the Winchester Q4204 load, but using the Hornady 110gr XTP hollowpoint?  I have looked on other forums and been told to try around 8.5gr Unique, 10.0gr Power Pistol or AA#5, or 15.0 of 2400 or AA#9.  Has anyone tried this and chronographed the results?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried to duplicate the old Border Patrol load in .357, a 110gr JHP at roughly 1300 from a 4" barrel, with relatively mild pressures and recoil?  Something like the Winchester Q4204 load, but using the Hornady 110gr XTP hollowpoint?  I have looked on other forums and been told to try around 8.5gr Unique, 10.0gr Power Pistol or AA#5, or 15.0 of 2400 or AA#9.  Has anyone tried this and chronographed the results?  Thanks.
View Quote

No. There's no 110gr bullet that can consistently penetrate deep enough.

Stick with 125s @ 1200 if you want a mild loading. Either golden sabers or XTPs over 9.1gr be-86 for 1225 in a 2.75" gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Not even the XTP?  I thought XTPs generally penetrated a lot better than most other bullet designs.  The test results I find online have the 125gr XTPs doing 16"-20" in the synthetic gel, and the 110gr bullet has 88% of the weight of a 125.  I know bullets tend to penetrate somewhat more in the synthetic gel, but I would still be surprised if the 110 didn't make it to 12" in organic gelatin.

I could be wrong, of course.  I can't find any tests of the 110gr and I'm guessing based on the assumption that it will behave similarly to other bullets in the same product line from the same manufacturer, just penetrating a little less due to its lower mass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not even the XTP?  I thought XTPs generally penetrated a lot better than most other bullet designs.  The test results I find online have the 125gr XTPs doing 16"-20" in the synthetic gel, and the 110gr bullet has 88% of the weight of a 125.  I know bullets tend to penetrate somewhat more in the synthetic gel, but I would still be surprised if the 110 didn't make it to 12" in organic gelatin.

I could be wrong, of course.  I can't find any tests of the 110gr and I'm guessing based on the assumption that it will behave similarly to other bullets in the same product line from the same manufacturer, just penetrating a little less due to its lower mass.
View Quote

I honestly don't know. I love XTPs but Ive never seen anything to show that 110 xtps perform any better than any other 110gr bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top