Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 9:02:48 PM EDT
I recently picked up a lightly used Les Baer TRS bit it only had a single mag.

I'm running into issues on replacement mag fit.

Ed Brown 7 rounders fit ok, the 8 rounders won't seat; the front of the base plate keeps the mag from seating far enough to latch.  Wilson Combat 47D's have the exact same problem.

Do I need to (should I) trim the base plate so the mags seat fully?

(These are all empty mags, and slide open or closed)
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a round in a mag and see if it seats.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put a round in a mag and see if it seats.
View Quote
Fits about the same as without a round; I have to smack it pretty hard and then the mag release is hard to push.

Mags fit fine if the baseplate is removed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The frame is slightly out of spec.grip is just a bit too long.   Common issue with Les Baer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The frame is slightly out of spec.grip is just a bit too long.   Common issue with Les Baer.
View Quote
So what is your recommended fix?

Trim base plates or fix frame?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
After measuring and comparing to my book on 1911's, I went ahead and filed the front strap down 0.015" and now all the mags fit & function.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After measuring and comparing to my book on 1911's, I went ahead and filed the front strap down 0.015" and now all the mags fit & function.

Problem solved.
View Quote

There you go!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Wilson ETM 8-rounders on my Monolith, they run great.  Have you tried Wilson ETM's?  I wouldn't go hacking on the front strap, if it were my gun.  If you can't work past the issue, send it back to Baer, he stands behind his guns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use Wilson ETM 8-rounders on my Monolith, they run great.  Have you tried Wilson ETM's?  I wouldn't go hacking on the front strap, if it were my gun.  If you can't work past the issue, send it back to Baer, he stands behind his guns.
View Quote
From internet perusal, this is a somewhat common issue with Les Baer TRS (and maybe other models), and Baer doesn't take kindly to requests to fix it...  I didn't ask him, so that may or may not be true.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

They are known for having a different sized frame (front to back) and length.

My SRP requires a swift "smack" to seat Wilson ETM HD/+P because the front edge of the frame is a tad to long.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Problem solved.
View Quote

Eventually I'll want to have my SRP refinished.  When I do, I'm going to have them file the front strap too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have ....

They require a smart "smack" to seat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top