Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2020 1:45:42 PM EDT
I just sold my TRP operator so i can purchase a Les Baer, looking for a Les Baer, 1911, Premier II, Blue, 45 ACP, Single Safety with 1.5 guarantee, no i cannot shot that well but if i'm going to spend 2 grand why not get the 1.5 for $295 more if for nothing more than value if i decide to upgrade again.  Is it true that Les does not actually shoot the 1.5" guns and the test target provided just represents what the pistol is capable of?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve heard varying info about the 1.5”. One is that the pistol has been tested to do it, the other that it’s so tight it’s capable of it. There was a guy on the 1911 forum who bought one and tested it and couldn’t get 3” from a randsom rest, but I forget how that ended.

That said I own 2 Baers and they are my favorite 1911 based on feel alone. Slightly longer front strap end feels like it’s carved from a single piece of steel
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that the test target is from the gun you buy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Guns are made and tested. The tighter group guns bring more money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I would assume that the test targets are done in a Ransom Rest. That said I have a Concept IV Commander and a Thunder Ranch, neither with the guarantee and they both will shoot better than I could ever do! Great guns and you will love it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slightly longer front strap end feels like it’s carved from a single piece of steel
View Quote

I don't get this comment. Can you explain?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The grip dimensions on a Baer are slightly larger. They fit my hand as good as any 1911 out there and I have Nighthawk, Wilson, and custom Colts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
which part?

I have heard their front strap is a bit thick, so the front to back is more than other brands. I don’t own any other 1911s besides Baers now so can’t measure.

The other part is that it feels to be cut from a single block of steel that shoots bullets. No side to side or up and down motion in the slide. Can’t wiggle the hammer. Safety is on or it’s off. Pull the trigger, hammer falls, bulletproof hits exactly where you want it to. Doesn’t feel like anything moving. It’s legit a weird sensation
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t own one but I love the way they look. For some reason they remind me of old Colts in appearance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two, neither have the 1.5” treatment.

I need to shoot the 5” a lot more than the 1500 rds I already have, still tight.  Very reliable and insanely accurate.

The 4.25” has in excess of 20k, and it feels like the slide is on bearings.  Also reliable and accurate.

I have nothing bad to say about the brand.
I was pretty worn down when I shot this @ 25 yds off the bench, usually I can empty a mag into one big hole benched.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine. The only other 1911s I want from now on are a Colt GCNM and a WWII USS. I used to have a Dan Wesson and honestly, I think it's garbage compared to my Baer. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]

A well aged 1911 is a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of their Hardball models. It helped me take top 50 yard score at the Atlantic Fleet Matches at Quantico. They are amazing pistols.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
what is the go-to place for ordering a LB these days?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what is the go-to place for ordering a LB these days?
View Quote

Crazy John

https://cj1911heaven.com
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A well aged 1911 is a beautiful thing.
View Quote

Thanks! Bought this when my son was born. He’s 5. It’s done more than 10,000 miles in road trips and gone from Texas to NM, to Pa, to Texas and now lives in GA

At least 10k rounds since I bought it too
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I love mine. The only other 1911s I want from now on are a Colt GCNM and a WWII USS. I used to have a Dan Wesson and honestly, I think it's garbage compared to my Baer. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432696/40A1986B-8552-4B90-8A36-BB6F50F33AC6_1_1-1740680.JPG
View Quote

Exact opposite of my experience.  Baer had super.sharp edges, poor finish, and the grip was left too long.  Mags wouldnt seat.  Both my DWs were much better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Baers are "Hardfit" guns. the theory is the gun starts out super tight and after 500 rounds is just nice.
Hardfit is more accurate.
Be prepared to do the take down method where the slide stop is pushed out, your hand is cupped under the slide to catch the recoil spring and the slide is pulled off the frame.
Baers specs are from les's head. I once did a aftermaket trigger in a Colt. alittle filing on the top and bottom of the shoe and it fit perfect.
a few months later did one on a Baer and was there for over a hour filing.
Baers customer service runs hot or cold.
If you call talk to Brenda and she wil take good care of you.
Les can be a "Dick" depending on which day you catch him.

For me personally with the top end guys. I spend my money on Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]

I’ve seen this pic a hundred times but have never commented. It’s beautiful. I love LB serrations.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like this one.   Not the ROC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’ve seen this pic a hundred times but have never commented. It’s beautiful. I love LB serrations.
View Quote

Thanks! I saw a worn up TRS or UTC like 10 years ago now on the 1911forum and thought to myself "damn that's the best looking 1911 I've ever seen". Spent 5 years looking for one and now 5 years trying to beat this one up authentically. Holster wear, in and out of trainings, teaching new shooters, etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I like baers. I regret selling my TRS Commanche and recently having to sell my UTC 9mm. I do prefer them without FCS, so if I get another UTC, it will be without them.
A worn blued baer is amazing looking.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like baers. I regret selling my TRS Commanche and recently having to sell my UTC 9mm. I do prefer them without FCS, so if I get another UTC, it will be without them.
A worn blued baer is amazing looking.
View Quote

What is FCS?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What is FCS?
View Quote

Front cocking serrations. The baer are distinct but I agree that it looks cooler without them. Crazy John let’s you order whichever way you want
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clearly you've never dealt with Ed Brown..............  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Baers are "Hardfit" guns. the theory is the gun starts out super tight and after 500 rounds is just nice.
Hardfit is more accurate.
Be prepared to do the take down method where the slide stop is pushed out, your hand is cupped under the slide to catch the recoil spring and the slide is pulled off the frame.
Baers specs are from les's head. I once did a aftermaket trigger in a Colt. alittle filing on the top and bottom of the shoe and it fit perfect.
a few months later did one on a Baer and was there for over a hour filing.
Baers customer service runs hot or cold.
If you call talk to Brenda and she wil take good care of you.

For me personally with the top end guys. I spend my money on Nighthawk.
View Quote

A lot less fitting goes into a Les Baer than a Nighthawk. I’d go with a Nighthawk too.

To get things a bit cheaper on the labor side LB often overcuts the barrel hood to get the barrel into the slide fast, then they undercut the barrel legs so the gun feels tight. Eventually the gun will batter in, but that causes a lot of barrel bump, which is bad long term.

Accuracy in a 1911 is mostly at the slide stop pin, so that’s where Bullseye smiths spend a massive amount of time and where LB chooses to save money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot less fitting goes into a Les Baer than a Nighthawk. I’d go with a Nighthawk too.

To get things a bit cheaper on the labor side LB often overcuts the barrel hood to get the barrel into the slide fast, then they undercut the barrel legs so the gun feels tight. Eventually the gun will batter in, but that causes a lot of barrel bump, which is bad long term.

Accuracy in a 1911 is mostly at the slide stop pin, so that’s where Bullseye smiths spend a massive amount of time and where LB chooses to save money.
View Quote

Im seeing nighthawk stuff north of 4k and both of my baers were under 2k. One is quite old with 80k+ rounds on it. No barrel bump to speak of and still shoots like a champ.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Is it true that Les does not actually shoot the 1.5" guns and the test target provided just represents what the pistol is capable of?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is it true that Les does not actually shoot the 1.5" guns and the test target provided just represents what the pistol is capable of?
View Quote

My 3” came with a target that was a bit smaller than 3”. No idea if it was legit shot with my gun or actually at distance but once you are outside powder burn range that’s impossible to tell.

With all brands you have to trust their process. I can hit a steel plate at 50 yards all day and I never hit master class personally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Each gun comes with a target, the gun's S/N & the name of the guy who tested it. Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Im seeing nighthawk stuff north of 4k and both of my baers were under 2k. One is quite old with 80k+ rounds on it. No barrel bump to speak of and still shoots like a champ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Barrel bump” is just the term some smiths use for inconsistent chatter when the slide stop slips onto the barrel legs going into battery. You can’t feel it, so the only thing you can do to detect it is to Dykem the legs and look at the bearing surfaces. Personally, I don’t feel it’s an issue unless a shooter needs all the accuracy he can wring out at 50 yards. I just mention it to explain the price differential—messing with that still has to be done by hand and burns up a lot of build time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I am a pretty big fan of mine....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#33]
You can spend more for a 1911 than a Baer cost, but it won’t be a better gun.

I’ve gone through countless Wilson’s, Dan Wesson’s and a couple nighthawks. I still have my Baer. The Baer shoots and feels like it has a soul, all the others were just guns.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’ve gone through countless Wilson’s, Dan Wesson’s and a couple nighthawks. I still have my Baer. The Baer shoots and feels like it has a soul, all the others were just guns.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14611/526DE1C0-50A1-4010-8AA7-910027BDCF6A_jpe-1745286.JPG
View Quote

I agree with all this. You can spend more but I think baer is about right for diminishing returns. I’ve shot professionals, Wilson, svi, sti, night hawk, dw, browns, etc. hard to beat Baers for the combo of price and features. I also believe them to be about the peak of reasonable accuracy for the platform and round.

@Kuryakyn who’s magwell is that? I want something to protect my slim ivory grips
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who’s magwell is that? I want something to protect my slim ivory grips
View Quote

Wilson combat, Rob at Alchemy did all the fitting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I agree with all this. You can spend more but I think baer is about right for diminishing returns. I’ve shot professionals, Wilson, svi, sti, night hawk, dw, browns, etc. hard to beat Baers for the combo of price and features. I also believe them to be about the peak of reasonable accuracy for the platform and round.

@Kuryakyn who’s magwell is that? I want something to protect my slim ivory grips
View Quote

If you add a nicely fitted magwell to that pistol it will be perfect IMO
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you add a nicely fitted magwell to that pistol it will be perfect IMO
View Quote

If you wanna foot the bill id be happy to send it to alchemy or Stan Chen ;-)

It’s on my to do list. Honestly it is, since I bought this as an heirloom for my son I will treat it well and get it tuned up. I have had another son so I’m saving for a custom Henry lever gun for that little monster.

Figure I’ll pass the kids some cool guns that we traveled with and shot as they grew up
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#38]
The holster would be a great match for a Hawaiian shirt!! Sorry, I was just fooling about.

" />
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The holster would be a great match for a Hawaiian shirt!! Sorry, I was just fooling about.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/lb_hol10.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/lb_hol10.jpg
View Quote

I wasn’t ;-)
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about that.  I would say that not every 1911 more expensive than a Baer is a better gun than a Baer, but some are.   Still, I like 'em.  A couple of mine:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I look at 1911’s this way as far as value for cost /quality :
Is an $800 American made pistol twice as good a shot a $400 foreign made gun? Almost certainly
Is a 1600 dollar pistol twice as good as an 800 ? Probably
Is a 3200 dollar gun twice a size good as a 1600? Doubtful
So I do think after about the $2000 les Baer price point, the returns diminish greatly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I have Baer

If I were to be in market now

https://alchemy1911.com/our-pistols/
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks! Bought this when my son was born. He’s 5. It’s done more than 10,000 miles in road trips and gone from Texas to NM, to Pa, to Texas and now lives in GA

At least 10k rounds since I bought it too
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/62BB9AF9-6FA9-4674-AB65-F17981BCCF00_jpe-1740852.JPG
View Quote

would you mind stating the manufacturer of that holster?    the attachment method looks interesting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

would you mind stating the manufacturer of that holster?    the attachment method looks interesting.
View Quote

Fury Solutions. It’s soft loops like you would wear for iwb but looped over the back and snapped to the front. I thought it was dumb and was going to swap
Out for the regular kydex loops that were also included. Holy hell it’s comfy and rides tight like this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fury Solutions. It’s soft loops like you would wear for iwb but looped over the back and snapped to the front. I thought it was dumb and was going to swap
Out for the regular kydex loops that were also included. Holy hell it’s comfy and rides tight like this.
View Quote

reminds me of a Ritchie leather holster with the quick attach loops.   thank you
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I only have one Baer, a Stinger which is a CCO.

Absolutely amazing gun

Crazy John is who wanna call to order one.

Next choice for a semi custom would be Alchemy, although I have not handled one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Baer utc. Shot it 15k rds over 2 seasons of idpa. Not 1 failure.  
   Like others have said, most accurate thing I’ve ever shot! Can’t explain it.
    Yes all guns get tested.  If one acts up it gets fixed and tested again. Some could have a good number through them before they ship. But they will run when u get it.  That’s from ol crabby Les at shot. Lol.
      He said they basically break them in. If it runs it runs. It will smooth out over more and more rds. Some guys have weak grip so may need more rds to smooth out and function with that weak grip etc etc.
     Anyway you can’t beat it. For the money especially.  I like night hawks and Wilson’s too. But they don’t feel the same at all.
    Les builds bad ass 1911’s the old fashioned way(mostly). The other guys tailor the gun to fancy rich guys with soft hands. Sry it’s true. It sells it works for them.
     Just something about a Baer you can’t know until you have one.
      Other one I’d buy though would be an alchemy. He used to work for Lea years ago I think. But I had them put a magwell on my Baer. The fit and blend job was basically perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top