Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2020 12:10:35 AM EDT
Pretty cool news from SHOT today.

Lehigh has developed a new method of making their Xtreme Defense bullets. Previously they were CNC / Lathe made. They are now making them via 'cold forming.'

Cold forming is a manufacturing process, where a metal blank is shaped by a punch and die set, using a vertical mechanical or hydraulic press, without loss of material. The basic cold forming process uses a simple metal blank that is cut from solid wire or solid bar, and placed in a punch and die set that is mounted on a vertical, mechanical or hydraulic press where the metal blank is pressed into the shape of the punch and die set. The mechanical force of the punch being driven into the die where the metal blank is contained causes the metal to flow around the punch and take the shape of the punch and die without loss of any of material. Because the metal forming process is done at room temperature and no heat is applied to the metal blank, the process is called cold forming.

The result is that this new style of manufacturing has cut cost by nearly 50%.

Old XD = $0.66 per projectile
New XD = $0.36 per projectile
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless they get the price-per-loaded-round below HST/XTP/GD, it's still overpriced gimmick-ammo in pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone actually shot something living with this type of bullet? Deer, hogs, etc? Any use in an actual SD shooting yet?

With HST and a few other designs seeming to unlock the secrets of the JHP, I cant get myself interested in this.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Lehigh is a local company for me...they are great guys to talk to...I toured the facility and they gave me a bunch of their bullets at no cost.

I've loaded their 194gr ME for my 300BO and this bullet will expand at subsonic speeds and it's very quiet suppressed.  I also have their 174gr CF bullets, but I haven't loaded them since the ME bullets work so well on PA whitetail.

I haven't tried their pistol bullets, but I know that Underwood loads Lehigh's bullets in their 10mm and other calibers.  Underwood uses quality components and I trust that Lehigh bullets will perform.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I like this news.

I think a really hot 9mm load in a carbine would do well for me as a woods load.    Smaller large game,  larger small game.  Just punch a hole thru em, no lead exposure.

Or in a 357mag carbine.

I can't take much recoil anymore. Shoulder issues + blood thinners = lots of bruising and swelling for days after
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless they get the price-per-loaded-round below HST/XTP/GD, it's still overpriced gimmick-ammo in pistol calibers.
View Quote
Assuming that the flutes DO NOT work, you have a limited penetrating ball round (normal ball round 20"+ penetration).

Assuming the flutes do work, the better for you. Either way, there really isn't much you can do for the .380 Auto.

In most calibers, I'll stick with hollow points, in calibers that have been proven to both expand and penetrate the minimum 12" in Ballistic Gel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top