Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:38 PM EDT
Bought a new 97B with safety. Then bought CGW Pro Package parts intending for my local gunsmith to install. He declined, said he doesn’t “feel comfortable” working on CZs, it requires specialized tools he doesn’t have,  and that I should send it to CGW. Which I did. And will have the full E package while they’re at it. It will probably end up being better that I shipped it to CGW.

I thought this was weird. But maybe not. My local smith is very good and super-experienced. Anyone else have smiths leery of CZs?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Better he turn it down than take it and screw it up like most "gunsmiths" do. Its good to know your limits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better he turn it down than take it and screw it up like most "gunsmiths" do. Its good to know your limits.
View Quote

Agreed.

And OP, you'll love the E conversion
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I will admit CZ's are a challenge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
They're not Glock simple but nothing a couple punches, small flat heads, and a qtip wont fix.  Especially a non decocker model.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My local smith is very good and super-experienced. Anyone else have smiths leery of CZs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My local smith is very good and super-experienced. Anyone else have smiths leery of CZs?
Quoted:
FPNI.  Would give me real assurance my local knows his limitations.

If you don't know how it comes apart and goes back together you could easily exceed billable gunsmith time estimates, as well as have to wait for replacement replacement parts.  

If it's that easy -- why aren't you doing it yourself?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]

I did a short reach trigger kit on my shadow2.

Normal tools, screwdrivers/allen wrenches, punches, ......dental pick,  and a stone to fit the disconnector.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
He and you made the right choice--be prepared to receive back your new laser.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Taking apart and reassembling the decocker cage is a walk in the park. Takes me 6 minutes to assemble one.
I don't understand why some people find it challenging? One slave pin and a dental pick are all that's required.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Taking apart and reassembling the decocker cage is a walk in the park. Takes me 6 minutes to assemble one.
I don't understand why some people find it challenging? One slave pin and a dental pick are all that's required.
View Quote
For me it's simple experience. I cannot count the number of glocks and 1911's that come across the bench but CZ's rarely do so I have less experience with them. Same as the trigger job I just did on P365, took me forever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good for you.....want a cookie?

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you don't know how it comes apart and goes back together you could easily exceed billable gunsmith time estimates, as well as have to wait for replacement replacement parts.  

View Quote

Exactly.  He can probably do it, but he would have to watch the same youtube videos as us. Which ends up taking MUCH longer than if someone knew the platform top to bottom. It would take longer than he could resonably bill you for.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Print out Brian Enos' instructions for working on CZ's and get a couple of pointers from David at CGW. I learned by tearing down my SP01 and have since worked on three more CZ's. It's not that hard and is a wonderful feeling to have learned a new skill.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good for you.....want a cookie?

View Quote

Peanut butter, please

Someone mentioned specific armourers tools. Even the CZ armourers manual shows nothing but basic tools that anyone should already own, especially a "gunsmith".
One CZ type variant that I owned, a Sphinx SPD Duty was notoriously difficult to take apart, and Cajun has stopped working on them for that reason. I never did,
as I sold the gun due to the lack of parts, and sights. I kinda wish I had given it a try now. Cool gun, as the Swiss duty model had the alloy grip frame/trigger guard rather
than the polymer. I believe these have all been discontinued by KRISS.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Send it to CGW if you do not feel comfortable doing it.  You will not regret it I did my SP01, 75B and 09 but it takes some patience to do and good lighting.  A good magnet does not hurt also.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I cut and pasted together a guide from this post that got me through working on CZ's and took the mystery out of dropping in Cajun parts. In most of my pistols, I had to stone the "Wing" one one side of the Cajun disco to get reliable DA reset. David from Cajun was awesome and walked me right through the process and when needed, shared some of his pics. I can't say enough good stuff about his parts and support. At the time of sale he basically said go ahead and try it on your own and if you hit a wall, then send it his way.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/191773-cz-tuning-101-with-professor-atlas/

*Imho- buying a couple of extra lifter arm springs takes a lot of stress out if you launch one into orbit on your first rodeo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not seeing how its a bad thing that your local smith told you he wasn't up to it and recommended the people that are...
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#17]
CZ's are no fun to work on. On my P-01 I had to replace a trigger return spring and a hammer spring due to breakage. I don't get the love for CZ's.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can complete strip and put one of my Glocks back together in that time .
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I've installed the CGW Shadow 2 upgrade kit and bushing on my Shadow 2, and the defensive carry package on my P-01. For me it was a learning experience and required some patience. If I were a gunsmith, I would *not* want to learn how to do this on a customer's gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bought a new 97B with safety. Then bought CGW Pro Package parts intending for my local gunsmith to install. He declined, said he doesn't "feel comfortable" working on CZs, it requires specialized tools he doesn't have,  and that I should send it to CGW. Which I did. And will have the full E package while they're at it. It will probably end up being better that I shipped it to CGW.

I thought this was weird. But maybe not. My local smith is very good and super-experienced. Anyone else have smiths leery of CZs?
View Quote
While it sucks for you, I understand their trepidation.  If you don't know what you are doing, metal framed CZs are a pain in the ass to work on.  Its not a 1911, or even a Sig, too many little springs and detents to go flying.   I have the same issue with Berettas so it's not a CZ exclusive problem.  

Now the polymer guns (P07/09 and P10) are a lot easier to work on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Some 25 years ago took my CZ75 pre-B to a smith for trigger job. They specialized in CZ's and clones. He build race guns mostly with clones with his brother and had a very good reputation.

When I got it back the half cock was no longer there. He said, "oh that's not a problem. The trigger feels really good though doesn't it?" He didn't know how to fix it.

Yeah, let someone credible install the parts and hope they really know WTF their doing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

He did you a favor.
Stick with him for other stuff.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly.  He can probably do it, but he would have to watch the same youtube videos as us. Which ends up taking MUCH longer than if someone knew the platform top to bottom. It would take longer than he could resonably bill you for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is good to do if he wants to expand his knowledge base and take in more of the same work and do it faster, better, more improvement on each succeeding job.  If he realizes he won’t see another in his shop of the type in five years......yea, its a business call on time use.  Some guys just like to pick up something new to learn to.  Like gun buyers, gunsmiths pick and choose.

I still say he made a good call to turn down work instead of doing it blind.  Newer smiths are more apt yo look it up and find how to videos on the net.  Older guys, if its not in the five firearms disassembly books on their bench they pass.   Better than guesswork gunsmithing.

My gunsmith friend took years to develop his turn down list.   Old beat to crap low value “sentimental” guns that you cannot get parts for and languish on the racks annoying the gun owner and him are number one rejects,  “Sorry, I doubt I can find parts for that, it’s too worn to get new parts to fit right, and it is going to be way more expensive than you want to pay to make you a custom fitted part from scratch and tighten everything up, if it can be tighten up.  My best suggestion is to hang it on the wall and enjoy its family history.”  

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#24]
OP you should thank him and feel more confident in work he does agree to do in the future.

Technically types hacking shit up is normally because they are operating outside their window of competency for gun,auto,HVAC etc..
A man got to know his limits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
CGW called yesterday. Gun is on the bench and will be shipped out soon. I opted for the full “ E” package. Will report.
BTW, no criticism express or implied of the gunsmith. To the contrary, said he was “very good and super-experienced.” I have a CZ TSO with him now to have a 10X bushing installed. And I agree he made the right call to decline a job with which he was uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
You will not be disappointed with your e package gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, this. I'd keep that gunsmith. At least he was honest and didn't decide to use your gun as a "test bed" for his experience.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
CZ 97 B returned today from CGW. For those who predicted I would be very happy with the E Conversion package, you were......RIGHT!

It’s amazing. Tigger is now 7lbs DA and 3 lbs SA. DA pull is smooth and easy, but SA is a delight. Short take-up, then wall, then crisp, clean break, short reset. 3 lbs feels perfect for such a big, heavy gun. Don’t want it any lighter.

The accuracy is superb. A RO who is excellent marksman but had never fired a 97 shot a tiny group first time. He was amazed. I could hear him going up and down the firing line telling the other shooters about the 97 and CGW.

So, a happy ending and LGS was right to decline the work and to recommend I send it to CGW.

Now awaiting LOK slim ivory grips and I’ll be finished. There’s nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Final note—Just field stripped and cleaned it.  Man, that bushing is tight. Bank vault, Swiss watch tight. Reminded me of my Les Baer. Had to watch video on how to get it out. No wonder it’s so accurate.
Again, very pleased. I have a CZ 75 B SA that’s already had a CGW trigger parts kit installed, and a TSO which is so perfect it needs nothing but the 10x bushing which is currently being installed. I’m on the CGW waitlist for a CZ Compact customized.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Final note—Just field stripped and cleaned it.  Man, that bushing is tight. Bank vault, Swiss watch tight. Reminded me of my Les Baer. Had to watch video on how to get it out. No wonder it’s so accurate.
Again, very pleased. I have a CZ 75 B SA that’s already had a CGW trigger parts kit installed, and a TSO which is so perfect it needs nothing but the 10x bushing which is currently being installed. I’m on the CGW waitlist for a CZ Compact customized.
View Quote

Glad you are happy, my 97 was my 3rd full CGW gun, my first being the P01 I carry every day. Never had a CGW product I was dissapointed with, they just flat out do phenomenal work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top