Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 9:10:54 AM EDT
FYI if anyone thinks their Ruger LCP-Custom would be more useful with better or more durable or night sight.

Ruger sold/sells a lot of a LCP .380 variation with a good (red) trigger and real sights called the LCP-Custom.  This is not the original gun and not the LCP-II, both with fixed sights.

The Ruger white dot is too small and my sight screw literally broke off with the sight departing into limestone gravel.  I looked around for better.

Glock steel front sights have a big dot and a strong screw.  Except for the too long oval trunion sticking through a thinner slide top, Glock sights are a perfect fit in the Ruger's front sight oval.

Reduce the oval's insertion height and reduce the screw length after it is tightened.  That combination has about 800 rounds fired that way and was quite satisfactory for a $10 steel Glock front sight.  The flat at the top is on purpose in the design.  Make sure you get the large flat top dot.  The older smaller Glock front dots are round.

Perfect proportion.  Exact 15 yard zero.

Photos:  Two below with Glock sight installed.  The Ruger factory rear has bright white nylon fingernail polish on the ears making them visible.

Pretty good idea, but still just a nice white front sight dot.

I kept looking for a better sight that fit or could be fitted.

For a real step up in usefulness and quick acquisition of the front sight, Ameriglo's GL-212-OR-Q is likewise a perfect fit in the Ruger copy of a Glock front sight oval.  Standardization??  The Ameriglo Glock sight is a large orange square with a night sight tritium lamp installed in it.  In slow fire, you align it with the white ears of the factory rear Ruger sight.  In rapid fire, put the orange square on the target and pull the trigger.  In the dark, half a night sight set gets you aligned.

Photos:  Four photos follow showing the orange square night sight installed under the slide and in view.

Under slide with Ameriglo oval trunion reduced in height so screw pulls up tight.

Fits sight flat neatly.

Sight picture in perfect proportion with white fingernail polished rear.  Looks better in real arms length.

LCP-C with orange square installed.

Best of all is either combination presents a point of aim using top of front sight with a 15 yard point of impact.  Obviously, the Ameriglo sight is staying installed.

Both were Red Locktited to the slide's tops since I learned not to trust tiny screws.  Optional idea.  Messy to do, but semi permanent, screw or not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat. I have a gen I with improved sights by Innovative Arms and love them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  Did you use the screw that came with the AmeriGlo sight or the one that was on the Ruger sight?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Used the Glock screw in Glock sight and Ameriglo in Ameriglo.  The OEM Ruger screw broke off the shaft from the hex head which rattled around in the slide for one shot.  Sight and screw shaft never found.

NOTE:  when reducing the insertion depth of the oval trunon or whatvever its called, use a micro fine (like diamond) file and preserve the screw threads so the screw can be re-started after shortening.  You have to shorten it so the screw can pull up tight against the under side of the slide or the sight would flop up loose in the slide oval.

The Glock screw went clear through and was filed down like the photo.

The Ameriglo screw went into the hole without changing the screw.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you recommend a good tool/wrench for the front sight that won't break the bank?  TIA
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
For ordinary Glock installs, I took the correct size out of a Harbor Freight set that has hex sockets, blades like a screwdriver, and allen wrenches in a jewelers screwdriver format, i.e., rotating handle head on a long shaft.

More to the point, each Ameriglo front sight I have used comes with its own 2" long finger driven socket head brass colored driver to install it.  The screws are hard to break with that short but adequate wrench.

Rarely where a similar sight puts the screw head too close to other under slide machining off center from the factory screw location, a set of medical forceps turns the screw a 1/6 turn each time as it tightens up, but pops off if you try to over tighten one.

Some might consider permanent Locktite wrong, but the day the front sight flew away in a shot string and I was trying to re-align for a follow up shot with no front sight,  I said that isn't happening for real to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't find a picture of my LCP front sight, but I used a Birchwood Casey Paint Pen Set.

White Undercoat, with a Green Top Coat.

Here is how my Hawk 982 Front Sight Turned Out, I did the same thing with my LCP Custom (Though I did the sight all green/no white dot). The glow in the dark paint on the front sight was pretty useless/had a long charge time. This is super high visible even in low light.

The green paint really pops out, I left my LCPC rear sight all black.

Attachment Attached File

Red Loctite on the screw is fine, just don't count on taking taking it off until the tritium is dead. Heat/A lighter works very well for getting red loctited screws loose, but it may damage/destroy the tritium gas in the sight.

The gun is a LCP Custom, it's not like there is a huge aftermarket on sights anyways. I say red loctite that sucker.

I'll try to get a picture later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top