Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 5:04:19 PM EDT
how do those plastic, rectangle belts loops feel?

does a good kydex OWB like this one, carry as well as a good leather?

owb by scott h, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both.

Leather is going to conform to your body better, but also requires some upkeep and won't hold as securely. Kydex is going to be marginally less comfortable for some body styles/applications because it won't mold to you, but it holds your gun better and is more durable.

Neither is "better," they're usage specific. Personally, I like kydex, because it's upsides are better for me than the slight loss in comfort.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
This plastic belt loops are fine.  Some holsters have more material than they really need.  A buddy had a Bravo owb holster that has too much material in the bottom corners.  It would dig into his leg or hip all the time.  Holster carried nice and tight to the body with no problems.  But the bottom corner bugged him.  He switched it to an HBC Concealment OWB holster that has more contoured corners and much more comfortable.  They both carried nice and tight to the body.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer kydex over leather as a Glock guy. I find that the injected molded “loops” hold up very well but the down side is sometimes threading a real stiff belt thru them. The reason I first tried IWB was because of what a pain it was putting on a Raven Phantom with a Aegis enhanced belt. I ordered the overhooks and never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes they hurt worse when you fall on them. Otherwise, there's not much comfort difference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
i’ll probably give one a try. i normally carry OWB with a shirt over for my CCW style. printing isnt a concern.

i like leather and have a couple nice ones but they loosen fast and are spendy.

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Kydex, yes and bravo concealment has many common models ready to ship.

I got one for a 17 with trl-1 and red dot cut in about 5 days.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I use JM Custom Kydex and carry OWB at 3:00 to 3:30. I haven't had any issues with discomfort.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Every OWB kydex should have speed clips IMHO They are God's gift to easy on off and low profile
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Leather back hybrid.  You can themoform (heat gun) kydex to your body.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every OWB kydex should have speed clips IMHO They are God's gift to easy on off and low profile
View Quote
Do they hold tightly and securely? Love the thoughts of them, never used them or even seen in person.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do they hold tightly and securely? Love the thoughts of them, never used them or even seen in person.
View Quote
NO! I've had them come off of my belt, one time I was seated in a vehicle. I'd recommend a paddle holster if you need easy on/off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NO! I've had them come off of my belt, one time I was seated in a vehicle. I'd recommend a paddle holster if you need easy on/off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good enough for me. I'll pass on them. My biggest gripe was using a cobra buckled belt and the aggravation of removing the belt and putting the holster on. After changing to a Kore Essentials belt I don't mind as much.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good enough for me. I'll pass on them. My biggest gripe was using a cobra buckled belt and the aggravation of removing the belt and putting the holster on. After changing to a Kore Essentials belt I don't mind as much.
View Quote
That's what I was using at the time, threading a buckle on and off twice a day was a pain.  Now I'm using a Hanks leather belt or a paddle holster when I need quick on/off. I tried the speed clips for a few weeks and they weren't for me. They tend to flex and open up which leads to the holster coming off.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I second this.  Speed or "Ease" clips are amazing.  The key seems to be attaching the clips to the holster with a sufficient roll (pistol grip tight to the body, muzzle away from the body), so that the inner hooks hold the holster down by hooking to the bottom edge of your belt, not the outer hooks, which can stretch out easily if angled badly, so that only the outer hooks are grabbing the lower edge of your belt.  If angled badly, the outer hooks just bend and create a gap. YMMV, getting them to fit well might depend on your build, etc.  The second picture shows the spacers I used on the lower screws to get the speed clip angle just right for me.

Part of the beauty of the speed clips is that you just angle the entire holster perpendicular to your belt to slide the rear clip onto your belt, then rotate the holster, so you only need to pry the front clip apart to get your holster on.  Similarly, you just pry the front clip to lift the front clip off your belt, and rotate the entire holster around the rear clip, like its a door hinge, to then lift the rear clip up off your belt, without having to pry its hooks apart.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]
+1000 for speed clips
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i’ll probably give one a try. i normally carry OWB with a shirt over for my CCW style. printing isnt a concern.

thanks for the info.
View Quote
If u have leather ones that “loosen fast” then they are not “nice ones”
Good leather will hold up a very long time! And be more comfy than kydex with any amount of retention you prefer.  But will be more expensive than kydex.

I prefer leather for carry. And kydex for competition. Kydex is a faster to draw at least for me because in competition my kydex barely holds the gun in. For Ccw I like a good amount of retention.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer OWB kydex over all other options, and I've tried virtually every other option available, including Raven's Vanguard, all sorts of leather, etc. I came upon a company in WA State a few years ago that has quite a strong reputation - Gunfighters Inc. I have numerous holsters from them for different firearms and have been very pleased. Gunfighter, Inc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:18:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

thanks for the info.
View Quote
If they "loosen fast" they aren't "nice".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top