Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 9:13:49 AM EDT
I have a buddy that shoots two Sig M11A1's a few hundred rounds every week and I started joining him. Then I started borrowing one of those things and the next thing you know I couldn't mate up the exact holster I wanted with his pistol so I bought the P229 with a full M1913 rail.

Ive been using cheaters now for a while so I decided to try the red dot on a pistol. Red dots work for he and I. About $2,000 and two separate uppers later he and I are sighting this thing in braced at ten yards with the cheapest bulk ammo you can find. We are stacking bullets one on top of the other. This may not be the right set up for you, but I wish I had done this 3 to 5 years ago when I first read about it.

I call it my SCAR 17 Sig since nothing matches in color. I'm already planning for the back up completely decked out like this, only in a different, and hopefully somewhat matching, color scheme. Naturally, if it shoots and handles as well as this one I'll make allowances.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a lesser quality photo of the uncut factory upper on mine and one of the M11A1's we shoot and carry so much. Since I learned to love the front serrations this will likely be the next upper that gets cut, unless the next pistol comes with front serrations.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a shot of the P229 that I found somewhere. This shot pushed me over the edge on this project. I'm glad it worked out so well. No idea for source of photo but I appreciate their help.

The threaded barrel is another option that will be added later so the Liberty Centurion I already have can be used. Anyone have knowledge of threaded barrel sources besides the Sig option, preferably in a match grade? I'll be looking at the Sig option in the future. If the Sig TB shoots as well as the barrels we already have that may be the best option out there. Certainly the easiest.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Bar-Sto makes match-grade threaded barrels for the P229;

https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=229&cco=68

I've been quite pleased with the Bar-Sto barrel I have in my P320.

Pretty good looking pistol!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the compliment and info. I'll start reading about those.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Love that P229R Combat of yours.  I’ve been debating on swapping from my P229R/228 to the same as yours; the difference in the magazine is holding me back as I’ve got about 65 plus mags for mine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my PD trade-in 229 in .357, just need to get rid of the DAK trigger one day

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
skip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love that P229R Combat of yours.  I've been debating on swapping from my P229R/228 to the same as yours; the difference in the magazine is holding me back as I've got about 65 plus mags for mine
View Quote
I had reservations about the larger frame and was wishing they still made everything in the x28 frame, amd then I started working with the x29. I learned to love it. 65 mags is a huge investment. You could support capitalism and set them free in the wild. Lol.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY, so whatever you decide I'm good with!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Is that DA pull workable? I do love the SRT single action in these. It's a dream to thumb back the hammer and switch to SA at the longer distances.

Do you use that rail? Does it take the universal plate found on an X300?

The laser did a good job on the badge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had reservations about the larger frame and was wishing they still made everything in the x28 frame, amd then I started working with the x29. I learned to love it. 65 mags is a huge investment. You could support capitalism and set them free in the wild. Lol.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY, so whatever you decide I'm good with!
View Quote
The dilemma gets worse! My pinnacle/Holy Grail gun is a P226R Combat! It’s a first edition; been mulling over swapping out the slide assy IOT get parts commonality on extractors.  Weighing it against the semi commonality with the mags; extractor is currently winning, low on the totem pole for projects right now
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The dilemma gets worse! My pinnacle/Holy Grail gun is a P226R Combat! It's a first edition; been mulling over swapping out the slide assy IOT get parts commonality on extractors.  Weighing it against the semi commonality with the mags; extractor is currently winning, low on the totem pole for projects right now
View Quote
You could definitely have one P229 with Mecgar magazines if you love it that much. The P228 isn't going away anytime soon, it just has that much of a following.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that DA pull workable? I do love the SRT single action in these. It's a dream to thumb back the hammer and switch to SA at the longer distances.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's just a range toy for me so I don't use the rail but a TLR-1 fit on it fine.  The trigger isn't as bad as a revolver but it's close, which is why I'm going to swap to the SRT one day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks fantastic and congrats! Glad to see how nice it turned out and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
We performed a variation of the "3 round fade back" drill yesterday. Instead of 3 rounds at each distance we shot 2 rounds at each distance, but moved back 6 yards each time. The final round was shot at 27 yards instead of 25 and the total rounds fired for the drill were 10. We did use a blank 3" x 5" index card with a cardboard backing as a target. I had 8 out of 10 rounds on the index card. All first rounds were shot double action and then single action. Both rounds at 27 yards were hits.

We were ringing steel at 100 yards yesterday with this set up, off hand. I did have to cheat and go to single action.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]
You know I hear the TBRC compensator for M&Ps fits the lines of Sig classic series slides awful well...

https://tbrci.com/product/tbrci-mandp-micro-comp/

(HINT HINT)
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You know I hear the TBRC compensator for M&Ps fits the lines of Sig classic series slides awful well...

https://tbrci.com/product/tbrci-mandp-micro-comp/

(HINT HINT)
View Quote
That is interesting. I'd love to play with a long slide and comp'ed slide for the heck of it. My next move barrel wide will be something with threads. Hopefully I can find one that will work with a three lug attachment since that is how the Liberty is set up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The dilemma gets worse! My pinnacle/Holy Grail gun is a P226R Combat! It’s a first edition; been mulling over swapping out the slide assy IOT get parts commonality on extractors.  Weighing it against the semi commonality with the mags; extractor is currently winning, low on the totem pole for projects right now
View Quote
you might hate me then

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Many moons ago, I bought a Sig P229 instead of a Glock 17.

Well, it's years later and I have several more Sigs, lol.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

you might hate me then

https://i.imgur.com/DFtBLoS.jpg?1
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Many moons ago, I bought a Sig P229 instead of a Glock 17.

Well, it's years later and I have several more Sigs, lol.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You could definitely have one P229 with Mecgar magazines if you love it that much. The P228 isn't going away anytime soon, it just has that much of a following.
View Quote
P228 went away along time ago, well except for the real one I have on me, not that joke of a US made m11 P229 sporting a 228 grip lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Definitely get SRT and overtravel trigger stop. (I think mine is from Greyguns.com) I shoot my 226 as well as my Gold Cup and Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
The DAK is an interesting creature.

After some practice, I actually kinda like it.
I have a 226 in .40 with the DAK trigger.  It's worlds better than a true DAO and arguably easier to learn than a DA/SA.  I had intended to swap parts over and make it a DA/SA gun, but have come to like it as it sits.

Curious OP... Who cut your slide on the 229?  My 229 get carried a lot, and I have a spare RMR sitting in my safe currently.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The DAK is an interesting creature.

After some practice, I actually kinda like it.
I have a 226 in .40 with the DAK trigger.  It's worlds better than a true DAO and arguably easier to learn than a DA/SA.  I had intended to swap parts over and make it a DA/SA gun, but have come to like it as it sits.

Curious OP... Who cut your slide on the 229?  My 229 get carried a lot, and I have a spare RMR sitting in my safe currently.....
View Quote
Years ago I had a Beretta Centurion 92G which was DAO with no slide lever. It was probably the nicest DA I have ever shot. I've often wandered if the DAK would feel that smooth. If so I may have to pick one up some day. I doubt it would replace the traditional DA/SA like I am shooting now since I have spent a great deal of time acclimating to it and have co e to love it's attributes.

when I was ready to send my slide off I found a one man operation that was running about 3 to 6 months when he wasn't sick. The other option was Suarez claiming 3 months so I went with Suarez. They did an excellent job and had my slide back to me in 6 weeks. I can't complain.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Definitely get SRT and overtravel trigger stop. (I think mine is from Greyguns.com) I shoot my 226 as well as my Gold Cup and Wilson Combat.
View Quote
I had assumed I already had an SRT trigger. How does one tell in a definitive manner?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#26]
For those of you living in a high humidity area, wearing some type of prescription or nonprescription glasses, and still on the fence about an RDS:

I was doing some dry fire practice off the front porch one afternoon. We have humidity that comes and goes and when it rolls in its thick and wet. It's not unusual for us to have a flash storm that lasts for ten minutes and then oppressive humidity. It's also not unusual for us to still have dew on the grass AFTER lunch time. When all this happens whatever lenses you are wearing fog up and you can't see anything in detail. I continued with my practice and thought I better use the iron sights but then realized I could only see the rear sight. The front sight was just gone due to the RMR being fogged up. I could barely see the rear sight as well. Then I realized I should have never transitioned since the dot was showing up beautifully on top of the fogged up lense!

Does the RDS have its good and bad points like anything else? Absolutely, but it's still the best option for me. I'm dying to buy one of those Ruger GP100 44 Specials and put an RMR on top of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#27]
My '94 German P228 is my never sell gun.

I don't carry it very often because I am documented and proven on Glocks for work but that 228 has a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I've handled a single owner P228 that will never part from its owner, unfortunately. It was a very nice pistol.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I've finally gotten around to answering this question definitively.

Do I have an SRT Kit installed already?
Steve Jenkins - Has an SRT Kit been Installed?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Love that P229R Combat of yours.  I’ve been debating on swapping from my P229R/228 to the same as yours; the difference in the magazine is holding me back as I’ve got about 65 plus mags for mine

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/778/EF1E56F8-6976-4227-B002-1FD93667281F-664789.JPG
View Quote

That slide looks like it is about two weeks old.

Sig bluing has always sucked.  I had mine coated.

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a buddy that shoots two Sig M11A1's a few hundred rounds every week and I started joining him. Then I started borrowing one of those things and the next thing you know I couldn't mate up the exact holster I wanted with his pistol so I bought the P229 with a full M1913 rail.

Ive been using cheaters now for a while so I decided to try the red dot on a pistol. Red dots work for he and I. About $2,000 and two separate uppers later he and I are sighting this thing in braced at ten yards with the cheapest bulk ammo you can find. We are stacking bullets one on top of the other. This may not be the right set up for you, but I wish I had done this 3 to 5 years ago when I first read about it.

I call it my SCAR 17 Sig since nothing matches in color. I'm already planning for the back up completely decked out like this, only in a different, and hopefully somewhat matching, color scheme. Naturally, if it shoots and handles as well as this one I'll make allowances.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79456/FD1336B0-D853-474C-A8D4-BF02C1BC4999-663087.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79456/E4544190-3D2A-4A9D-A14A-7DB393FCEC20-663066.JPG
View Quote
@TennesseeRat - I might have missed it, but who did the RMR cut on your slide?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@TennesseeRat - I might have missed it, but who did the RMR cut on your slide?
View Quote
Posted about half way down:

"when I was ready to send my slide off I found a one man operation that was running about 3 to 6 months when he wasn't sick. The other option was Suarez claiming 3 months so I went with Suarez. They did an excellent job and had my slide back to me in 6 weeks. I can't complain."
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That slide looks like it is about two weeks old.

Sig bluing has always sucked.  I had mine coated.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/SIG_220-410839.jpg
View Quote
Even their so called "stainless" finish looks good at the beginning but slowly begins rusting. I have no experience with the actual SS they are putting out now.

What are those grips and screws?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]
The Sig Armorer

It can get even better if you send it to Robert Burke.
I sent my Legion P229 to him for the competition trigger job with qrt trigger.  SMOOTH double action pull with a short and crisp single action pull.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Sig Armorer

It can get even better if you send it to Robert Burke.
I sent my Legion P229 to him for the competition trigger job with qrt trigger.  SMOOTH double action pull with a short and crisp single action pull.
View Quote
I've heard good things and was thinking about getting them to do my next slide milling, then I noticed one is required to also purchase a trigger job to be able to get your slide milled. I'm going to pass on that right now. I'll have to post pictures of the groups I'm getting with my factory action, barrel and the cheapest range ammo you can get. I'd love to have a pistol that is slicked up but that's at the bottom of my list.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Love that P229R Combat of yours.  I've been debating on swapping from my P229R/228 to the same as yours; the difference in the magazine is holding me back as I've got about 65 plus mags for mine

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/778/EF1E56F8-6976-4227-B002-1FD93667281F-664789.JPG
View Quote
@11b4v

Surefire X300: Are you using the universal or picatinny rail to mount to the Sig rail? I'm approaching the purchase of another frame and considering that rail over a rail less pistol.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ll have to look when I get with you later; like most of my gear, I’m the second owner and don’t have the other pieces to the light
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Trijicon RMR Auto Adjust Dot:

I have noticed when using the RMR in the dark with and w/o ambient lighting that it does auto adjust like its supposed to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll have to look when I get with you later; like most of my gear, I'm the second owner and don't have the other pieces to the light
View Quote
Surefire X300:

Does anyone have experience with the X300 on the Sig proprietary rail? Does it work as well as the picatinny or Glock universal rail?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#40]
My Signess started with those P6s that came in as inports over 10 years ago. Then I was issued one in 14 which I deployed with twice.  I felt sad helping the armorer turn it in, likely to be sent off to Captain crunch, and help him pick up our M17 replacements. I've had that M17 for a few months now, but it's not the same. Two years ago IIRC I built 3 P228s from 80%s and parts kits.  Those I'll be hanging onto.  I've also got 2 P320Cs that I like, but they're different than the P228s which I deployed with.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:42:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lots of people use the 13/15/18 round P228/P229 mags in their 9mm P229-1.  It fits a little less tight and maybe carrying that way would be less than ideal but I've never seen anyone report stoppages with them.  At minimum they are good for range use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like that P228 has been through a lot
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My Signess started with those P6s that came in as inports over 10 years ago. Then I was issued one in 14 which I deployed with twice.  I felt sad helping the armorer turn it in, likely to be sent off to Captain crunch, and help him pick up our M17 replacements. I've had that M17 for a few months now, but it's not the same. Two years ago IIRC I built 3 P228s from 80%s and parts kits.  Those I'll be hanging onto.  I've also got 2 P320Cs that I like, but they're different than the P228s which I deployed with.
View Quote
I like the M17 but the Classic is working for me. It's a shame our tax dollars buy firearms that are destroyed w/o our having an opportunity to own them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Bone Frog Federal 124 +P HST

My latest ammunition purchase. I'm going to the range Tuesday night to practice some more. If the ammo continues to run well without issue I'll start using it as carry ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top