Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2022 11:21:18 AM EDT
I guess like usual I’m late to the party on something. I came across a K6 DASA last week and was really impressed.  I had never really paid any attention to these as they were very rare to see one and pretty damn expensive. Since then I’ve sort of been infatuated with going back for a second look. Anyone care to drop some knowledge about these. Primary use is going to be for carry.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t even like revolvers but I want one of those.

No experience to offer though. Only ever seen pictures
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot one of the 4" versions with a hammer and one of the smaller shrouded hammer versions; both seemed to be well made, had nice triggers and tight actions and shot very well.  That said, I think they're ugly and I didn't like the cylinder release but I'm used to Smiths.  If you like them they seem to be a solid revolver.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Might checkout Kimber Talk forum….not here. Its own thing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My 3" is my daily CCW.  I put night sights on it.

As has been stated, good fit and finish, also "untraditional".  This is a case of function over form, and it CCWs well for me.  

Lightest 3" 6 shot .357 on the market, if I remember right.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]

I picked up a 3" DAO recently. Very well built, it gives the impression of being able to last several life times.
I wanted a .357 smaller than my S&W Model 28 4", and just stumbled on to this one at a nearby FFL.  I have since put on a Hogue rubber grip, as this little guy can be, unpleasant, with Magnum loads.  38 Special +P loads are no big deal and what I would probably use most of the time.

I have an R. Grizzle Leather holster on order for it, and I'm looking forward to using this for winter time carry.

Oh, I don't find it to be ugly.  Untraditional yes, but not ugly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless your primary is a Coonan, LAR, or Deagle, get a 2-3" revolver in your primary's caliber.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not handled one but being a revolver guy I would like to try one.  I have ZERO need for any more revolvers though.  All my bases are covered severs times over.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know where to look for a RMR mount for one of these? If I can put a dot on it, I want one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I've looked at them several times and am intrigued.  But the price keeps scaring me off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not handled one but being a revolver guy I would like to try one.  I have ZERO need for any more revolvers though.  All my bases are covered severs times over.
View Quote

Same here, but I still wanted a snub-nosed hammerless Kimber. Back when I was getting real close to getting one they were about 900 bucks. Still want to get one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
They are very good revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone know where to look for a RMR mount for one of these? If I can put a dot on it, I want one.
View Quote

Interested too, but not optimistic since it's a dovetailed sight. Allchin and similar mounts all use the screw holes in the frame.

I live my 3" DAO, I wish they offered the 4" with the shouded DAO hammer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I handled one at a big-box store and was very impressed.  I ended up buying one at the BX to save the sales tax.  It has become one of my EDC handguns, most often cross-draw with two speedloaders or two speed-strips.  

I carry Buffalo Bore Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash 357 Mag

The trigger is good as is, but I added Hogue Grips and adjustable sights.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I handled one at a big-box store and was very impressed.  I ended up buying one at the BX to save the sales tax.  It has become one of my EDC handguns, most often cross-draw with two speedloaders or two speed-strips.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sh_jpg-2557052.JPG

View Quote

What crossdraw holster are you using?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/K6Sh_jpg-2557052.JPG

Wright Leather's Regulator Cross-Draw

I prefer a full pancake but Privateer wasn't making one for a K6 at the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The K6 is certainly a well made firearm. It has one inherent flaw, and from a NYC company, with lot's of institutional knowledge about revolvers (NYPD influence) I'm a bit shocked they did it.

The ejector rod is the same whether the barrel is 2", 3" or 4" long. It's barley long enough to completely eject fired 38 Special cases, yet alone 357 Magnum cases. No reason other than bean counters to not have longer ejector  rods in the 3" and longer barrel versions.

That alone is why I went with the 3" and a 4" Colt King Cobra. Similar price points, better trigger, and full length ejector rods.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey guys thanks for all the help. Through good luck I ran into a trade situation and was able to pick up a brand new 2 inch DASA. While I’ve only been able to do some functions shooting 357 and just overall popping off 38 rounds at stumps I can say I really like this gun. I did switch to the Hogue grips and it fits my hand perfectly. It’s well built and balances very well.

Comparing it to a Smith M60 357 is almost a joke. The trigger is great out of the box, it has real sights, the entire gun is dehorned for carry, it holds 6, it’s virtually the same size and weighs about the same.
For those who balk at the price you would likely have much more in a J frame Smith to get the same features and still be at 5 rounds. To do this in a K frame would add considerable size and weight and still have 6 unless you went to one of the plus model 686s.

It’s a little heavy for pocket carry but the size would still allow it.  Again virtually same size as a J frame even with the Hogue grips. I’m waiting for a Simply Rugged silver dollar to arrive but in one of my leather J frame holsters it quite comfortable on the belt.

To be clear I own several and like S&W revolvers. I have been carrying various versions of Airweights for the past year and quite extensively in a previous period and they all pale in comparison to the Kimber.
It may be a bit much for pocket carry but if you like revolvers you owe it to yourself to check it out. I look forward to seeing what it really can do accuracy wise and with different ammo. As of right now I really don’t have anything negative to say about it.

Now to complicate matters even more I just picked up a new Colt Cobra 38. Initial evaluation is it’s very nice but still not quite as good as the Kimber.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Drove 4.5 hour round trip yesterday to pick this up.  $950 with no cc fees...

Have wanted a K6s since I saw one at the Kimber booth during the NRA Annual Meetings several years ago.  Glad I held out until they offered a non-snubnose with an exposed hammer.

Will take it out today to see how it goes.  Probably will take my King Cobra Target along as well to make a comparison.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Why the short ejector rod w/ the long bbl?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why the short ejector rod w/ the long bbl?
View Quote

That's really my only issue with the K6.  Everything else is fantastic. Occasionally on my 3" I'll get a stuck case if I'm not agressive on the ejection. The decision to go with the short ejector where a longer one would fit is a shame.

I think it is more smooth and has a better trigger than my 686+ pro series.  Never handled a Colt to compare.  I'd like to see an L-frame size K6.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Love mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Welp, as of this time, I can't shoot it worth sour grapes.

Attachment Attached File

K6s on top; King Cobra on bottom.  All the groups looked like this.

At least partially,  I think maybe the grip was swimming around my hand.  The trigger wasn't particularly predictable,  either.

Will see if maybe VZ has grips for it.

W296 is a real flame thrower, btw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Let's see if this works-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Welp, as of this time, I can't shoot it worth sour grapes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20221210_153338_jpg-2630808.JPG

K6s on top; King Cobra on bottom.  All the groups looked like this.

At least partially,  I think maybe the grip was swimming around my hand.  The trigger wasn't particularly predictable,  either.

Will see if maybe VZ has grips for it.

W296 is a real flame thrower, btw.
View Quote
In my limited experience, the K6S is REALLY grip dependent.  I wish there was a King Cobra type hogue grip for it with the full third finger, rather than the Bantam type.  And the Comfort grips really make it a bit more comfy to shoot, but I don't feel as good of grip side to side.
I'm curious as well.

I love wooden grips on a revolver, but haven't heard the K6S wood grips are too narrow and slippery.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
The only g10 grips that I could find that covers the backstrap and has a palm swell is from lokgrips.com

They are both ugly and expensive.  With (hated) finger grooves as well.

Anxiously awaiting for  VZ to make my needs a priority in their life, lul.  Would get the same design as their King Cobra offering that I use.

Attachment Attached File

ETA> Actually,  that is VZ's Cobra grip.  The one they claim in bold letters will not fit the King Cobra....

Curious why they don't offer versions for the larger models...
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#26]
So how did it shoot with tape on the grip?

Now I'll ask the loaded question, which is why I stick with older Smiths. Any MIM, and how much?

Never mind, Google is your friend. No MIM, all bar stock. Probably one reason it's so expensive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only g10 grips that I could find that covers the backstrap and has a palm swell is from lokgrips.com

Anxiously awaiting for  VZ to make my needs a priority in their life, lul.  Would get the same design as their King Cobra offering that I use.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20221210_152806_jpg-2633602.JPG

ETA> Actually,  that is VZ's Cobra grip.  The one they claim in bold letters will not fit the King Cobra....

Curious why they don't offer models for the larger models...
View Quote
I would love more of your take on the King Cobra vs. the K6S
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would love more of your take on the King Cobra vs. the K6S
View Quote

Agreed! LGS has a 4" DASA and I keep fondling it. Damn it feels nice and fit my hand great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20221210_152806_jpg-2633602.JPG

Curious why they don't offer models for the larger models...
View Quote

The hogue monogrip fills my hand nicely for such a small grip, and covers the backstrap.

Supposedly in the 2in models it pulls the recoil levels down into "spicy" territory
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#30]
It'll be at least Saturday before I can test the taped-up grip.  Dry fire practice suggests that it will be a success.  That is self-vulcanizing rubber tape, btw.  It became one solid mass about a minute after I wrapped it.  Quite grippy, too.

Got a Galco Combat Master coming in the mail tomorrow.  Stoked.

I've had the King Cobra for a year or so, iirc.  Not a lot of shooting with it, as I've been vy busy at work.

Oddly enough, I have about the same round count on both now after only one trip to the range.
Forced to make a decision between the two right now, I'd get the King Cobra.  Nicer trigger, availability of suitable G10 grips, and generally better looking.  I'm undecided about having adjustable sights on it.  The name may say "Target", but.... not really my intended use.  Wanting something with more bomb-proof sights is what attracted me to the K6s Combat.

As far as build quality, they seem about equal.  I prefer the hammer and the cylinder latch on the Kimber.  Price for each is about the same, and I'd think that the K6s would conceal better.  Will definitely acquire new grips once VZ gets their act together.  

Going to enjoy both of them for a very long time.

Discussion on how to modify k6s dao grips to fit the dasa
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Wasn't the grip.

This is the best I could do at 10 yards.  Other groups were much worse.

Attachment Attached File

After a bit of thoughtful contemplation and comparison,  it's more than obvious that the reason I'm having such difficulty keeping it on target is due to the K6S's trigger.

While the King Cobra's single action has something close to no trigger travel before it breaks (once you hit the wall), the K6s has some creep at that point.  And it is also heavy enough to disturb the point of aim before it breaks.

The same carries over to double action.   I was flabbergasted Saturday at just how badly I was doing.  Even with a death grip, shots were landing several inches low.  Careful observation when I got home, and dry fired it, I just can't keep the muzzle from dipping down when the trigger breaks.

Attachment Attached File

Bummed.  For the time being, I'll just have to consider this a 5-yard "point and shoot" piece.

ETA 11 Jan> Trigger pull reduction kit

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got it installed.  It's definitely lighter, and my front site doesn't dip down when I dry fire any more.  Maybe I'll be able to get out and try it this Saturday..
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#32]
The TK Custom trigger reduction kit seems to have done the trick.  Only had enough time to shoot eighteen rounds before the range closed.  Would expect group size to shrink even more with sufficient practice.  Three cylinder-fulls just isn't sufficient for me.  Be kind!-

Attachment Attached File

.357 125gr Rem SJHP handloads, btw. 21.3gr of W296 with a Wolf SPM primer.  10 meters.

Now I'll have to figure out how to get the POA/POI to be somewhere in the same county.

If Kimber sells various height rear sights like Wilson Combat does, I'm not aware of it.

They do sell an adjustable sight set, but my previous attempts to drill the front sight on a SP101 some years ago were kinda yikes.  The front sight is so high on these that I question whether it will easily clear my holster.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#33]
@DocApocalypse

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The TK Custom trigger reduction kit seems to have done the trick.  Only had enough time to shoot eighteen rounds before the range closed.  Would expect group size to shrink even more with sufficient practice.  Three cylinder-fulls just isn't sufficient for me.  Be kind!-

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/20230116_170313_jpg-2674639.JPG
.357 125gr Rem SJHP handloads, btw. 21.3gr of W296 with a Wolf SPM primer.  10 meters.

Now I'll have to figure out how to get the POA/POI to be somewhere in the same county.

If Kimber sells various height rear sights like Wilson Combat does, I'm not aware of it.

They do sell an adjustable sight set, but my previous attempts to drill the front sight on a SP101 some years ago were kinda yikes.  The front sight is so high on these that I question whether it will easily clear my holster.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3906/Screenshot_20230116_180318_eBay_jpg-2674662.JPG
View Quote
When I changed out my sights for the factory night sights, the front sight was pre-drilled.

But that's an expensive gamble, I wasn't banking on it myself.

Though those results with the trigger kit seem compelling  
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Perusing different reviews online suggests that these shooting low is a thing, and people are just filing the front sight down.

Apparently,  these were regulated specifically for hot 158gr loads at 15 yards.  They shoot 125gr loads a bit lower.  Sometimes a lot lower.  

I'm not inclined to change my preferred loading.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They do sell an adjustable sight set, but my previous attempts to drill the front sight on a SP101 some years ago were kinda yikes.  
View Quote

I attempted to do the sights on mine and gave up.  The rear wouldn't budge, and I didn't have a punch for the tiny hole in the front.  I ended up taking it to a local smith who had to saw the rear down to just shy of the frame of the gun, then collapse it in on itself.  

Glad I gave up when I did, before I damaged the gun.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interested too, but not optimistic since it's a dovetailed sight. Allchin and similar mounts all use the screw holes in the frame.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How unfortunate. I’ve shot one, and it was very nice. I dig the DA. I’d need a dot to shoot it to its full potential, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Perusing different reviews online suggests that these shooting low is a thing, and people are just filing the front sight down.

Apparently,  these were regulated specifically for hot 158gr loads at 15 yards.  They shoot 125gr loads a bit lower.  Sometimes a lot lower.  

I'm not inclined to change my preferred loading.
View Quote

Most .38 smiths are the same as well
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
The Kimber revolvers are worth the money.

Kimber DASA

Kimber in IDPA
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  The Kimber revolvers are worth the money.

Kimber DASA

Kimber in IDPA
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Great video. I love the music.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top