Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 9:13:35 PM EDT
I want to change the following on this kimber, iam using this for ccw.
Attachment Attached File

1. Grips and front grip tape(vz or magpul or?)

2.Sights , maybe TFX pro or trijicon 3 dot white night sights( I hate fiber optic only front sights for carry or any guns)

3.Recoil system( I hate the full guide rod want a standard system)

4. Mainspring housing(plastic factory)

Anything else that would be critical to upgrade or things to do over time.
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've replaced 3 Kimber MSH with Ed Brown MSH from Midway and/or Brownells.  Minimal fitting on 2, none on the 3rd.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Having 5 Kimbers, I have made the following changes on each:

*  Changed thumb safety for a standard Colt commercial unit,
*  Checkered front strap; tape, stippling, stupid wrap around grips are cheap, tacky and make the gun feel like a
   pachyderm's penis,
*  Changed out the full length rod for a standard commercial or mil-spec unit.  If it makes you feel better, you can put
   a closed recoil spring plug in,
*  Keep the plastic main spring housing and spend your money elsewhere, the plastic ones last for ever if you don't try
   to cook them.

Enjoy your Kimber as it is a fine gun and I have found mine to be ultra reliable and accurate.  A couple things you might want to do; throat the barrel if you are going to shoot cast.  Some of the newer guns don't have much throat if any and cast can hang out of battery.  Get Wilson mags for extras.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks the ed browns seem half the price as wilson combats too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Can anyone recommend sights for kimbers, I hate that sloped rear sight. I can find TFX pros but I prefer trijicon 3 dot night sights but they are on backorder everywhere. I like the 3 dot sights because I see them better in poor light conditions like a indoor range. I had TFXs before buy were good for out door shooting but indoor ranges the fiber optics aren't bright and that why I like white picks up good for me.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I just held this in a gun shop 10 minutes ago.  It seems lighter than my 4 in RO.  I'm not sure msh will make a difference, unless you want some weight in the back end.  I seriously looked at the frame 3 times to make sure it wasnt polymer,  so light.

Need to shoot and report please op.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to lose the plastic MSH (I have a steel one coming for a Kimber today, actually), you can do an aluminum one; only slightly heavier than polymer, but not going to crack if you drop in the wrong way.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Might be cracked already , feels like cheap plastic too. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Added magpul gripsAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Over time, if it’s actually going to used/shot a good amount, consider changing/upgrading the MIM parts; hammer, safety, sear, firing pin stop, slide stop, etc. All are critical components.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Changing the grips is my favorite option, I have Operator II in Black/Gray.

I like the TRUGLO Handgun sights.

You can Google, "best handgun night sights" and see reviews and links for current best pricing.  I found Amazon to have the best pricing bar none, and free shipping.

I have TFO yellow rear/green front on a Glock.

I have yet to decide on which to replace on a faded 1911.

I have this sight installation tool, it works great.

The recoil guide rod conversion is simple if you want to save weight.

Get a couple replacement recoil springs, when you replace the guide rod.

The polymer mainspring housing is the lightest, unless you can find an aluminum one.

I prefer steel mainspring housings, due to the more aggressive checkering.

Break that gun in with at least 2K rounds, then decide if you want to replace any MIM parts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top