Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2021 11:30:54 PM EDT
I got a CP33 thinking the high cap mags would be great for a suppressor host. Boy, was I wrong.

It's clunky in the hand, very difficult to load the mags, and unreliable. I consider it unwise to sell guns unless absolutely necessary, but for this I'll make an exception.

I have a Walther 22 pistol that I use and it works great, but only has 10-11rd mags..

So what's a better option? Was thinking Browning Buckmark and vs Ruger MKIV.. I lean Browning but open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Mini Mamba

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang that sucks to hear because I've been looking at those hard.  

I've always had good luck with my Ruger MK IV 22/45s but they consistently gum up at about 250 rounds suppressed.  I have had ridiculously good success with the full size S&W M&P 22 pistol of all things to run suppressed.  I've only had to lube it and brush off some gunk a few times in thousands of rounds.  Currently playing with keltec p17 suppressed and while I don't have anything bad to say, I'm not ready to vouch for it because I'm only about 500 rounds in.  

I guess I'd have to say look at a S&W M&P 22 pistol... And by no means am I a S&W loyalist or fanboy - my sample of one has just kept on tickin'.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Taurus TX22.  I got the Competition model and I’ve shot over 2500 rounds through it all suppressed.  I prefer shooting it more than MKIV or Victory.  It weighs less and with Tandemkross mag extensions it’ll hold 21 rounds.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I really didn't want to hear that but it's no surprise, I think Keltecs are known for having the occasional lemons. Feels like a coin flip when you buy one
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That’s beautiful.. but only holds 10rds?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s beautiful.. but only holds 10rds?
View Quote

Ruger MK4 mags... So yeah. But, your ammo will last longer and you can practice your mag reloads. The Mini Mamba's action is so smooth.... hmmm....wonder if it will cycle CCI Quiets....
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OP sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your CP33.

Mine has been flawless when using CCI Mini Mags and Aquila Super Extra ammo. But then again I am not running a suppressor on mine either. The only time I had any issues was with loading the very first magazine which was due to me not following the instructions correctly. Mine functions 100% and has proven to be very accurate with a red dot mounted on it. I shoot out to 85 yards free hand with it and have no problem hitting small pieces of clay birds at that distance.

I also have a PRM30 and CMR30, both of those have been flawless too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your CP33.

Mine has been flawless when using CCI Mini Mags and Aquila Super Extra ammo. But then again I am not running a suppressor on mine either. The only time I had any issues was with loading the very first magazine which was due to me not following the instructions correctly. Mine functions 100% and has proven to be very accurate with a red dot mounted on it. I shoot out to 85 yards free hand with it and have no problem hitting small pieces of clay birds at that distance.

I also have a PRM30 and CMR30, both of those have been flawless too.
View Quote

Same here, I love my CP33 and CMR30.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost all good quality 22’s are ten rounds or less. Get over it and accept that capacity

For a good affordable suppressor host I like the S&W victory which was cheaper ( at least when I bought it) compared to ruger or browning.

I don’t care for polymer pistols with striker style triggers on 22’s.

My general preference is old blued steel classics but they don’t come threaded and I won’t cut on a classic.

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a CP33 thinking the high cap mags would be great for a suppressor host. Boy, was I wrong.

It's clunky in the hand, very difficult to load the mags, and unreliable. I consider it unwise to sell guns unless absolutely necessary, but for this I'll make an exception.

I have a Walther 22 pistol that I use and it works great, but only has 10-11rd mags..

So what's a better option? Was thinking Browning Buckmark and vs Ruger MKIV.. I lean Browning but open to suggestions.
View Quote

Get the $25 mag loader for the cp33 and problems will stop.

In short, you're loading the mags wrong.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get the $25 mag loader for the cp33 and problems will stop.

In short, you're loading the mags wrong.
View Quote

You could be right.. How am i supposed to load the mags?

Just watched some Youtube vids. Could've easily been loading it wrong. I still find it difficult to swallow that I need to meticulously watch how I'm loading a 22lr
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just watched some Youtube vids. Could've easily been loading it wrong. I still find it difficult to swallow that I need to meticulously watch how I'm loading a 22lr
View Quote
Any semi- double stack, double stack, or quad stack rimfire magazine needs to be loaded correctly. This is just the way it is. It is even more important to load the CP33, PRM30 and CMR30 magazines correctly since they are quad stack.

I have even seen many complain about the Glock G44 all because they were not loading the magazines correctly.

One trick I found is to load the magazines to full capacity and let them sit for a day or two. Then unload and reload them and let them sit for a a couple of days. I had feed issues with my PMR30 until someone told me to do that with the mags. It definitely helps and I now do it with all of my rimfire magazines.

And it doesn't matter if it the CP33, CMR/PMR30 or even the Glock G44, make sure the top round is sitting correct or it will misfeed and jamb.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
And with the CP33, you need to make sure you do not get rimrock and that the rounds are stacked correctly inside the magazine. You want the rounds to look like this. It is very important to do this or you will experience feed issues.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the speed loader for the cp33, it makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does matter.  The loader makes it near impossible to screw it up.  Mine has run like a top since i got the loader.

Makes life a lot easier.  I love my cp33. More accurate than the rugers i have had in the past, and the takedown is so much easier.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a buckmark or mk iv but the FN 502 is another good host and a great gun. It comes with a 15 round mag, threaded barrel and outstanding single action trigger.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine has been perfect suppressed and unsuppressed.  Try different ammo
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#18]
A brace or stock if you SBR it makes it a lot more ergonomic too.  The heel mag catch still sucks though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a CP33 as well and a TX22, I've yet to put the suppressor on my TX but I'd have to give it the nod. The ability to use the McFadden Machine loader is a game changer and with the Gallaway +9 base pads you can have 25 round easy to load mags.

ETA: My CP33 runs great but the bushing in the rear has already disintegrated in only 1-2k rounds, though it is still functioning. I just find myself picking up the TX first as it's a better training gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at the MCARBO magazine release for the CP33 if the loader doesn't work well enough.  It seats the mag higher on the feed ramp and helps reliability so the bullet doesn't nose dive on the ramp.

When you get the CP33 running, it is the best suppressor host I have out of MKII, MKIV 22/45, TX22, P17 because you can keep shooting forever on one mag.  You will have to clean it after each range trip as it gets nasty after running several hundred rounds suppressed.

It is extremely accurate once you get used to the grip and trigger.  It shoots better for me at 25 yards than my MKIV bull with Volquartsen trigger with open sights.  Also it's really cheap and easy to mount red dot if you want more accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger Charger or build your own

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Mag loader is great.
My CP33 has been great.
Doesn’t like .34gr stuff though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Because Keltec
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll get some hate
But my keltec p17 has been over 99% reliable with a suppressor using rem golden bullet ammo.
Light and just plain fun

ETA cherrybalmz rimfire remedy helped smooth it out when new
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top