Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 6:15:31 PM EDT
I am considering getting a PMR30 for raccoon hunting. For those who own one, are they worth it? Any of you use one for raccoon hunting?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am considering getting a PMR30 for raccoon hunting. For those who own one, are they worth it? Any of you use one for raccoon hunting?
View Quote
I don't have one, but I've heard relatively good things about them in the fun category.   You're losing a lot of the energy from 22 Mag in that short barrel though and it's going to be noisy as hell.   I'd still get one if they didn't tell you not to suppress it.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
had one, it failed with all kinds of ammo (feeding, ejection issues).  Sold it cheap (with full disclosure), hope its new owner got factory to get it right.
I had bad luck with a PF9 too, trip back to Kel Tec resulted in zero improvements, so I had to eject on that one too.  No more Kel Tec for me

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn dude , how many racoons you got ?

Sorry , Im sure it will do fine . Ive been thinking about one of those too .
I just keep hearing the bad stories on them ,some work some don't.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Could be a lot some night lol. Mainly just thinking about because then I wouldn’t have to worry about carrying a rifle around.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
had one, it failed with all kinds of ammo (feeding, ejection issues).  Sold it cheap (with full disclosure), hope its new owner got factory to get it right.
I had bad luck with a PF9 too, trip back to Kel Tec resulted in zero improvements, so I had to eject on that one too.  No more Kel Tec for me

YMMV
View Quote
I've got multiple guns from Keltec and never had any issues that weren't aftermarket mag related during the ban.    Know quite a few people who have them and have heard the same thing.    I wouldn't have any concerns about function because they'll fix it if it doesn't run.    If they didn't fix it the first time I'd call their attention to it and send it back.  If it works for them I'd look at what I'm doing different.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one, won it at an NRA event, I love it, no issues with feeding, I use only CCI.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun pistol.
Loud.
30 round mag, but a little difficult to get the full 30 in it.  I keep 25 in mine.
40gr rounds cycle it just fine but anything less results in misfeeds/jams

I recently found som 50gr from Federal that I need to try.

I also picked up the CMR-30.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ex inlaws and I got 23 raccoons out of one barn over a 2 night period about 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Got one, love it. No issues at all but I keep mine well lubed.

As I understand it, the issues were due to issues with the extractor springs or the extractor hook not being formed correctly. Kel-Tec fixes those & they're 100%.

Didn't know about the "no suppressor" rule though. Can someone fill me in, please?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got one, love it. No issues at all but I keep mine well lubed.

As I understand it, the issues were due to issues with the extractor springs or the extractor hook not being formed correctly. Kel-Tec fixes those & they're 100%.

Didn't know about the "no suppressor" rule though. Can someone fill me in, please?
View Quote
https://www.keltecweapons.com/pmr-30-threaded-barrel-with-flash-reducer-322

DetailsThreaded barrel and flash reducer for the PMR-30.

USE OF A SUPPRESSOR WITH THE PMR-30 PISTOL IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Due to the unique locking action of the PMR-30 pistol and the lightweight slide and barrel, the use of a suppressor is not recommended as it will cause an increase in gas volume and pressure and the slide will likely unlock early. This will cause an increase in gases and residue that is ejected back towards the shooters face and could also cause a case rupture to occur. Any damage or injuries caused by the use of a suppressor or other heavy weight muzzle device attached to the PMR-30 pistol will not be covered by any Warranty.

The thread pattern on the PMR-30 threaded barrel is 3/8" x 24
The length of the barrel is 5" and with the suppressor it is 5 5/8"

-----------------------

Honestly, that's why I don't have one.  With my first suppressors coming in I'm at a suppress all the things stage and that doesn't fit it.  If I could use one of mine on it I'd do it.  I want one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure what the OP is looking for, but my CMR-30 16" carbine is much more accurate and tolerant of ammo than my PMR-30.

For hunting I'd grab that first, with a good low powered scope.

And yea, the PMR-30 isn't design to run suppressed due to it's 'hybrid' blowback system that stays locked til pressure drops, then it acts like a blowback. Not suppressor friendly.

The CMR-30 is just a straight blowback setup, I think it's why mine is so much more tolerant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one. It shot fine for the 300 rounds I put through it but I couldn’t get over how much of a toy it felt like....
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Then I’d recommend a Rock Island 1911 XT-22 mag.

I picked one up months ago, it feels exactly like my 1911s with a trigger just like the one on my TAC II. 14 rounds vs 30 but the heavy fixed barrel is noticeably more accurate than my PMR-30. Recoil is nonexistent in a 38 oz. rimfire. Initial reliability seems better than my PMR too but the stuff it doesn’t like (Armscor brass & Hornady vmax) doesn’t run at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Shot one this last week.

Fun fun and fun......loud loud and LOUD!

Accurate out to 100yds, we were shooting at 45 yds as well.  Hit where we were wanting without effort.  Very light weight, no kick, and the trigger was very light.

Sights on it were great with the fiber opticcs, bright and easy to use.

I will be looking for one to add to the collection and would be a perfect for putting in a pack for hiking.  Feel the power to weight ratio (lol) of it is extremely good, just not a bear gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top