Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 12:14:11 AM EDT

So far I'm very impressed. I did have the front sight fall off, and no one locally has 3-48 set screws since the factory ones were stripped out :( Love the trigger, and it's eaten quite a few different types of .22 mag ammo :)

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I had great luck with Speer SB .22 mag, but just tried some CCI "TNT" at an indoor range.  

Nearly blind by the fireball, but so far, after about 250rds, have only had two failures to feed.  

Other than that, awesome little pistol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Love mine, will be mounting PA reflex sight soon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
At gun shows, I've not seen one for less than around $529.  Saw one for sale at my range/shop, new, for $349.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has been sitting in the safe for 6 months, in the box, I suppose I should shoot it? lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine.

I am waiting on my lgs to get the CMR 30 in, I think that would be a great combo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love mine.

I am waiting on my lgs to get the CMR 30 in, I think that would be a great combo.
View Quote

Same here. Not paying $1300 for the CMR-30 though :D

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love mine.

Isn't it like $600 if you don't buy it from a gunbrokr neckbeard?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked one up couple months ago
Shoots great, lots of fun
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I love mine. I have tried hornady 30 grain, Speer gdhp sb, cci maxi mags, cci 40 gr solids or whatever they are called, and it shoots them all.

I only had a few problems right at first, the slide wouldn't seat forward Avery know and again but after about 200 rds no more problems.

I have shot quite a few ground squirrels with it and am surprised by its accuracy. I was also surprised by how freaking loud it is. If bly disappointment I have is you aren't supposed to suppress it, but since I only paid $349 at the lgs its not too big a problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love mine.

Correct MSRP is like $630 or something

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I just picked one up this weekend, I have a lot of that Winchester 29gr copper solid ammo that goes 2300fps in a rifle, anyone tried this in a PMR?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I just picked one up this weekend, I have a lot of that Winchester 29gr copper solid ammo that goes 2300fps in a rifle, anyone tried this in a PMR?
View Quote
Model # of that round?

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
My B.I.L. just bought one at a local gun shop for $339.95 plus tax a shade over $360.00 , we shot 50rds of Winchester FMJ in it , first mag was loaded with 30 rds and the 2nd mag with the last 20rds , first mag had 3 FTF problems , the 2nd mag had zero FTF problems ,
is this a common problem when starting with a full 30 rd mag ??  

He was also hitting outside of a 10" target low at 25 yards , I shot it and was hitting high on the same target , overall very nice pistol , and also loud be sure to wear muffs when shooting it
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought one tonight for $349.99 at a LGS in Cincinnati.  They have a "bunch" of them in stock.  I got the email this morning and figured they'd be gone by now, but the 2 stores in town had at least 3 in each store.  BTW the store is Point Blank and the price is good today only.  Not sure what that will mean, but that is what they are saying.  If you aren't in town and want to get one at that price, the website is shootpointblank.com.  No financial interest, just trying to help someone trying to source one of these.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love mine.

I need both.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I took my PMR-30 to the range today and liked it a lot.  The pistol's day ended early when a spent shell wouldn't eject.  All in all, I love it and think it was a deal at $349.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Tonight I found one at Academy for $370 so I bought it. Now I need to find some ammo... Any ammo... Don't care what brand.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tonight I found one at Academy for $370 so I bought it. Now I need to find some ammo... Any ammo... Don't care what brand.
View Quote

Good luck with that.  I bought a fde version for $425.  I had a couple of old boxes of ammo and a friend gave me a couple that come over on the Pinta.  Other than that, I had to pay ammo scalper prices online.  The Manwell says to stick with 40 gr.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I was able to find one box of CCI mini max 40 grain at a lgs. The range I go to also had Armscor 40 gr stuff.

Holy shit!  Firing this thing is insane!  It's like "one of these things is not like the other."  You get a huge fireball with a deafening report but almost no recoil.  I have to say that the trigger is excellent. I was expecting some long mushy shit like every other KelTec I have owned. I did have problems picking up the first rounds of the CCI from the mag but it fed fine after the initial problem. The Armscor worked flawlessly although I got quite a bit of unburned powder all over my arms.

I wish ammo was easier to find and cheaper as I really enjoy shooting the PMR.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#20]
It has become my favorite pistol, going to mount a sure fire 2 on it and take it hiking with me next year.  Going to be fun popping squirrels with
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]

I am so itching to get one of these.
Just wish ammo were more available. If it were as easy to find as .22lr even, I'd be thrilled.
Bought a 200-round box of Maxi-Mags recently, just because one of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger, so to speak.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just wish ammo were more available. If it were as easy to find as .22lr even, I'd be thrilled.
Bought a 200-round box of Maxi-Mags recently, just because one of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger, so to speak.

View Quote

lol

I did just that. I have about 600 rounds and a brand new Kel-Tec in the safe. It's been sitting there six months! I'll shoot it some day.

I shot one at the range and just 'had' to have it......it's a disease I tell you!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
This was my last purchase on 11-12-14 from kygunco.com (I got 1000 rounds for $188.34 delivered):

CCI-95822WMR MAXI MAG 40GR JHP SWAMP PEOPLE CCI @200rds----5$34.99

Subtotal:$174.95
Shipping Method:GROUND
Shipping:$13.39
Tax:$0.00
Total:$188.34

Credit Card:************003
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#24]
i just picked up a NIB PMR-30 today for $400, first one I've seen that wasn't at least $100 over MSRP. I was watching these pretty closely when they first came out but about a year ago I kinda lost interest when the price gouging on these were still going on in my area. Walked in to the store planning on picking up an M&P Shield when I stumbled across this gem. Couldn't find any .22wmr locally so will have to mail order some.

While looking for ammo I came across an article that says Kel Tec doesn't recommend the CCI Maxi which was what I was planning on picking up. But it seems to be a popular choice on this forum and usually the easiest brand to find. I plan to try some anyways but for it's first trip out I'd like try something that'll give me an idea of what it's capable of. I'm on a waiting list for some Hornady from my preferred ammo site but need to order up some .22wmr now. Any recomendations for an online vendor that has .22wmr in stock today?

I'd heard some mention of loose front sights, wasn't sure if that still applied to current production, if so I'll add a dab of loctite before my first trip out.

This is not my first Kel Tec, used to have a PLR-16 (.223) pistol that was literally a blast to shoot, had a lot of fun with it and never gave me any troubles but had to let it go when $$$ got tight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Disregard my question on the CCIs, the note that came with my pistol listed 'preferred' ammo types and CCI 40gr Maxi was the first one on the list, I must have been reading info pertaining to the first gen barrels.
It did NOT recommend any ammo with a bullet below 40 grain, wound up ordering some Armscor for $160/500 rnds from Outdoor Unlimited. Seems to still be plenty or Armscor out there so this is it til I find some CCI Maxi or Hornady that's not an arm and a leg.

Ammomen LLC has 200 rnd CCI Maxi 40gr 'Swamp People', yesterday it was $88, when I went to order some this morning it was up to $95, but they require a copy of your DL regardless of state so I passed. A 250 rnd box of the same stuff was $150. At half the price I'll try the Armscor, I've heard a few people complain about the some feeding issues with the partially exposed lead tip.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#26]
The Armscor worked fine for me and that is the only thing I can find locally. The only issue with Armscor is the fact that it shits out quite a bit of unburnt powder.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Just HOW good are these pistols?

What is the round count life expectancy?  

Do they hold up?

What problems have you guys encountered?

What about the mag release?  That thing spooks me.  Seems like it would be too easy to inadvertently drop a mag.  

Comments?

My son just shot one the other day and he really liked it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't had mine long but yea, they are a lot of fun. Minimal recoil, big noise & fireball with certain ammo, flat shooting round, VERY nice factory trigger. Super light weight even with a full mag.

.22 mag ammo seems hard to come by these days, hope that will change but haven't been looking for .22 mag long enough to say.

Kel Tec doesn't recommend any foreign production ammo like Armscor, Fiocchi or S&B. Although CCI is more accurate, I've had no failures with the Armscor, which is dirty, and may be why KT doesn't recommend it.

Breakdown for cleaning is easy, one pin and the slide comes off. Older models had issues with that pin breaking but current PMRs have different pins.

Older PMRs had a 1in16 twist barrel which seemed to have issues stabilizing heavier bullets, new ones have a 1in11 barrel that seems to be more reliable with all ammo.

Never had an issue with the heel magazine release.

Some have had failures of the slide release but Kel Tec doesn't recommend using it to release the slide but rather to 'sling shot' it. So not sure if this is a weakness or if it's causes by not being used correctly.

The slide is pretty easy to pull back but not a lot of it is exposed to grab on to.

Some have complained of the fiber optic in the front sight coming loose or coming out completely. I have other pistols with fiber optic sights that have a history of the same issue. Easy home fix is to heat up a knife and melt the front optic a bit to keep it in place, but so far mine hasn't loosened up. But I'd recommend checking it every now and then. Sounds like Kel Tec has always sent a replacement free of charge for any pistol under warranty. Have not seen any aftermarket replacement sights yet.

Sights are fully adjustable but the Kel Tec manual doesn't go in to detail on how to adjust them, only recommends a gunsmith. Mine came out of the box zeroed @ 25 yards so I've not had any reason to tweak them. Slide is pre-tapped for a micro red dot and Kel tec adaptor plate or Tandemkross makes a polymer pic rail for a universal sight.

I get a bit of blowback from the action, More so with the Armscor ammo. Once got what felt like a bit of unburned powder hit my cheek w/Armscor, so I recommend shooting glasses.

Loading the double stack mags is a little different, I recommend watching one of the videos out there or paying close attention to the manual. It's not hard to dent a .22wmr case which can cause a malfunction, or get a round out of position so that it 'rimlocks' on another round. Or get a good speedloader like CDraper's ver.2 from ebay for $25. Took all the guesswork out of loading mags for me.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Good stuff there wanderson.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine's still going strong. The only thing I hate is the threaded barrels do not stabilize the CCI 40gr JHP  :|
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol

I did just that. I have about 600 rounds and a brand new Kel-Tec in the safe. It's been sitting there six months! I'll shoot it some day.

I shot one at the range and just 'had' to have it......it's a disease I tell you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Yep, it's a disease. And I succumbed to it again.
Picked this up the other day.

Put a dozen or so rounds through it yesterday in the backyard range, no issues, noticeable fireball even in bright sunshine.
Soon as I get a few days off, I'll put it to the test. Think I'm gonna like this one.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a new PMR on the way to go with my CMR.
I also have a new 5" barrel & flash reducer coming in for the PMR.

My question; what ammunition should I consider that will perform well in both the CMR & PMR?

I am currently looking at these three.

Hornady .22 WMR/Magnum 30 Gr. V-Max

Remington PR22M1 Premier Gold Box 22WinMag AccuTip-V 33gr

Speer Gold Dot .22 Mag / WMR 40 Gr GDHP-SB

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Check Clyde Armory for the Hornady, I got quite a bit from them last month stopping by every time I was nearby.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Check Clyde Armory for the Hornady, I got quite a bit from them last month stopping by every time I was nearby.
View Quote

30, or 45 gr.?

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Mmm........................

I have a feeling you guys are going to cost me some money...

For many years I've vacillated between one of these and an FN FiveseveN.  I know, I know, the ballistics are NOT the same.  The .22 Mag in a handgun approximates what a .22 Long Rifle will do in a  rifle, and the FN cartridge produces better ballistics. But I had a .22 Mag Ruger SA years ago and was very impressed with it.

But that's the problem.  The .22 cal Hole is a total Black Hole of the cartridge world.  We really need more .22 cal pistol caliber options.  The truth is, another .22 cal with ballistics similar to the 5/7 would be nice to have if only for the competition which would bring down the price of the stupid things.

Anyway, I want a superlight pistol for my ski-treks and this thing keeps popping up as an option.  It would be for one serious purpose, defense against wolves as well as potting snowshoe hares and grouse for the pot.  It would suffice just fine for the latter two but the 5/7 would give me more confidence for the former.  I carry a 9mm at present and really, it is fine, but the advantage of 30 shots i the gun w/o a reload sounds awesome.

My son shot one not too long ago and was very impressed with it.  He is a forester for a large timber company.  He carries a SIG SP 2022 but a fellow forester carries one of these and let him shoot it. As I say, he was impressed.

So cut the crap and tell us the truth:

1}  Are these pistols reliable???
2}  Are they accurate?
3}  Do they hold up to shooting and rough carry?

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

30, or 45 gr.?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30, or 45 gr.?

30gr
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1}  Are these pistols reliable??? The mags are a pain to load but if you are very careful they seem to feed very reliably. This seems to be where most reliability issues are created.
2}  Are they accurate? I've only tried a few brands of ammo, due to availability, and while not a target pistol by any means it shoots very well.
3}  Do they hold up to shooting and rough carry? I've not had my gun a long time but I'd have to say no to this. The gun is susceptible to choking when dirty and its construction is mostly plastic.

View Quote

I would definately buy one, just don't expect it to be an end of days type weapon. It's a very fun range toy, for defense I'd want more than one gun if I carried this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I've put about 400 rounds downrange so far with my PMR, so far it's run reliably with Armscor, Winchester, Remington, and CCI +V & TNT.

On the KTOG forum there doesn't seem to be a lot of reported long term wear & tear issues. If you're buying used the first gens had a different barrel & twist rate, they seemed to have more issues, especially ammo finicky. The front optic fiber coming out does happen on occasion, but I know from experience it's also a common problem with Rock Island 1911s and Springfield XMs.

I think a lot of issues go back to not loading the mags correctly, there are some good videos on how do do that. Or do what I did and get a good speed loader specific to this gun. There's no 'speed' involved when I load my mags with my speed loader, but I think it's got a lot to do with why I haven't had any failures.

.22wmr may not be the best choice for protection (I've seen gel tests that make it look similar to a .380 round) but having 30 rounds on tap without reloading helps.

It's also a VERY easy gun to shoot one handed due to it's weight & low recoil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I love my Gen3!  As long as I load the magazines correctly with good ammo, it runs 100%.  It likes 40 grains or better.  Hornady Critical Defense prints ~2-3" groups @ 20yds.

The CMR is a natural compliment to it.  I SBRd it, but haven't chopped the bbl yet...
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone have a source online for one of these little guys in stock? I'm only seeing them on gunbroker and they're going for $600 and up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a source online for one of these little guys in stock?
I'm only seeing them on gunbroker and they're going for $600 and up. Thanks.
View Quote

Try this seller on GB http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562478107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top