Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 1/30/2021 3:05:37 PM EDT
Just bought some new 8 round mags for my CM9 and noticed the springs look like this
Attachment Attached File

Then I decided to look at my 6 and 7 round mags.  The 7 rounder was twisted and the 6 was straight.  But then I found this
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

What the fuck?  For $40 I expect better.  They want $11 for the same plastic shit replacement or $20 for a steel replacement.  Unreal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The slightly twisted spring is something found in many pistol magazines.
I suspect it's the spring "settling in" to it's using form, and they tend to unwind slightly.
This is not an issue, but if you want just use your fingers to gently bend it back straight.

The broken followers is a known Kahr issue, usually in the polymer framed models.
What's happening is when the barrel recoils the lower edge of the feed ramp is hitting the front of the follower and breaking it off.

If you send Kahr a picture of the broken followers they'll send you new ones free.

To correct the issue, you can send the gun in to the factory and they'll fix it.  They'll pay shipping.
If you don't care about possibly voiding the warranty you can fix it yourself by grinding a little metal off the bottom of the feed ramp so it won't strike the follower, which is exactly what Kahr will do.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The slightly twisted spring is something found in many pistol magazines.
I suspect it's the spring "settling in" to it's using form, and they tend to unwind slightly.
This is not an issue, but if you want just use your fingers to gently bend it back straight.

The broken followers is a known Kahr issue, usually in the polymer framed models.
What's happening is when the barrel recoils the lower edge of the feed ramp is hitting the front of the follower and breaking it off.

If you send Kahr a picture of the broken followers they'll send you new ones free.

To correct the issue, you can send the gun in to the factory and they'll fix it.  They'll pay shipping.
If you don't care about possibly voiding the warranty you can fix it yourself by grinding a little metal off the bottom of the feed ramp so it won't strike the follower, which is exactly what Kahr will do.

View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I emailed Kahr yesterday, and will report back what they say.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
When you get the replacements, try a little jb weld, it might hold
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Normal on the twisted spring.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j1r11] [#5]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
Normal on the twisted spring.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.  BTW day 3 still no email back from Kahr.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Covid........  Like everybody else things are slow.

If no response in a reasonable time, CALL them on the phone.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Day 5...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j1r11] [#8]
Well after more than two weeks, no response from Kahr.  I called them Monday and was told to send pics and they would call me back by end of business.  3 days later, still no call back
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Covid dude, everybody is working short handed and things fall through the cracks.
Call again.  Cell phones cost nothing for calls.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Covid dude, everybody is working short handed and things fall through the cracks.
Call again.  Cell phones cost nothing for calls.
View Quote

Don't wanna hear the covid bs excuse. Two fucking weeks is unacceptable.  Chip mccormick and walther were 1 day when I had a question for them.  The lady says they will call me right back same day, then days go by and nothing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, Kahr finally got back to me and they want the gun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
They're going to modify the rear of the barrel feed ramp as I posted above.

While they have it they'll no doubt give it a good checkup and new followers too.
Make sure to send in the broken followers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
They're going to modify the rear of the barrel feed ramp as I posted above.

While they have it they'll no doubt give it a good checkup and new followers too.
Make sure to send in the broken followers.
View Quote

Pistol is at Kahr now after some back and forth on who was going to pay for the fix.  I ended up having to pay shipping and then they would cover the fix. Not sure if this is normal from them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Pistol came back today, 4 day turn around is pretty damn good.  Says they "fitted polymer feed ramps, fitted barrel and fitted barrel ramp"  Also, replaced magazine springs and followers. The angle of the ramp looks different and they took off some of the ramp.  My slide / frame fit definitely has more play in it now. Will update when i get to the range
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
https://lakelinellc.com/shop/metal-magazine-follower-for-9mm-kahr/
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By m4stagar:
View Quote

I seen those, but replacing 6 mags gets expensive, especially when they should come that way from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I use mag guts conversions in my 6 and 7 round mags. They work pretty well so far!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I use mag guts conversions in my 6 and 7 round mags. They work pretty well so far!
View Quote

This. You get a metal follower and +1 capacity for about the same cost as just the metal follower.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

This. You get a metal follower and +1 capacity for about the same cost as just the metal follower.
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By j1r11:

I seen those, but replacing 6 mags gets expensive, especially when they should come that way from the factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j1r11:
Originally Posted By m4stagar:

Hopefully your Kahr is working well!

My PM9 is definitely not as well thought out as a Glock 43, a Sig 365 or an M&P Shield. It’s down right crude in comparison. But it has been accurate and reliable so far. It’s also NOTICEABLY smaller when size really matters in an NPE role.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Never heard of them. Got a link?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#22]
https://magguts.com/product-category/kahr/
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Hopefully your Kahr is working well!

My PM9 is definitely not as well thought out as a Glock 43, a Sig 365 or an M&P Shield. It’s down right crude in comparison. But it has been accurate and reliable so far. It’s also NOTICEABLY smaller when size really matters in an NPE role.
View Quote

Yes, the PM9 is pretty crude now.  But when it came out 20-25 years ago, it was the ahead of its time and one of the few micro 9mm platforms.  Kahr has sat on their laurels and not innovated.  So the market has passed them by.  Now it's not on the top 5 list if shopping for a micro 9mm.  I wouldn't even look at a Kahr now days, but I've had a PM-9 for 20 years.  I'm trying to decide to update my PM-9 with some Mag-guts and fresh night sights or just use the money towards a Sig P365.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FaunaBeware] [#24]
The only thing crude about a Kahr is the mag follower.

They're outdated now with all the higher capacity micro 9s out there, but crude is definitely not a word I'd use for a Kahr.  (Especially in comparison to even the newest Glocks.)
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top