Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2019 12:09:16 AM EDT
I have had a 1.0 M&P 9c for a long time now and while it fits like a glove and runs reliably I have never been happy with it's accuracy. I am sure it is mostly my fault but I have had many people that outshoot me have issues with flyers too.

A guy let me try his VP9 full size and it was like I was a different shooter. I really liked the ergos and I have wanted one ever since. Today was the day and of course now that I have it I decided to do some research

I am seeing that mags are considered pricey and that the spring may be an issue and that guys are swapping theirs for a lighter one. This is starting to seem familiar. All the Apex shit I had to do to get a decent trigger on the M&P was a huge drag.

What am I in for with this gun? Any tips specific to the VP9sk?
Anyone use one for their primary carry? I'm just not a Glock guy
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Its an excellent gun... accurate and reliable... and easy to carry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The full size VP9 spring is not a “problem”.  Some guys were running suppressors on the VP9, and the original spring was too light to reliably work with the can, so HK swapped to the VP40 spring, which was also used on the VP9 tactical.  Now the VP9 works fine suppressed and unsuppressed for bullets 124 grain and over.  It’s not recommended to use 115 grain during the break-in period, though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The full size VP9 spring is not a “problem”.  Some guys were running suppressors on the VP9, and the original spring was too light to reliably work with the can, so HK swapped to the VP40 spring, which was also used on the VP9 tactical.  Now the VP9 works fine suppressed and unsuppressed for bullets 124 grain and over.  It’s not recommended to use 115 grain during the break-in period, though.
View Quote
What is the roundcount for break-in on the sk?
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
For me, the VP9 platform is leaps and bounds ahead of the M&P 1.0 series in accuracy as well as ease of operation. Don't get caught up in internet conjecture or the infamous "reliability test." Yes, HK mags are traditionally more expensive than other brands. Read the manual, lubricate it per the manual's instructions, add ammo and enjoy. Don't change anything before you shoot at least a couple hundred rounds through it. As for people carrying them, I know of two uniformed patrol officers who carry the full size while on-duty, and I personally carried a full size off-duty for a few months. Now I carry a P30LS, which is basically a hammer fired VP9 with a couple ergonomic differences. I have limited experience with the VP9SK, but I have dry fired one and liked it quite a bit. One of the best striker fired triggers out there, probably second only to the Walther PPQ series. The VP9 trigger system is way better than the stock M&P 1.0 and 2.0 that I've shot, and definitely better than the stock Glock triggers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had zero issues with my VP9SK. Buy and shoot and carry with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Even though I am a Glock guy I carry and shoot my VP9SK a lot, at least half the time. If the gun gods told me that it was the only gun I could own, shoot and carry from here on out I'd say, "okay" and live happily ever after. It's a great gun!
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one as my carry gun, no break in period and no issues with it. Main thing to do is to buy the 13 or 15 round mags to carry it with, most seem to feel the 13rd mag is the best fit.

I was worried about not shooting the SK as well as the full size when I first got it due to the shorter grip but it shoots just as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my VP9 tactical and it'll be my carry gun once I get a red dot mount on it. Very good trigger and accurate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Took it out on Monday and ran 200 rounds through it. Had two failure to feeds on the 1st two mags. After that it got better.

I was a bit bummed at 1st that it wasn't the laser I experienced when I once shot the full sized. The trigger wasn't insanely better than the 1.0 9c I usually carry but after a few mags I started to feel the reset and settle in on the weight of the trigger,

I will say the glow-y sights were a huge improvement over the stock 1.0 M&P sights. I put shots on target a lot faster. By the 10th mag I was a lot more accurate than the M&P and I was switching guns back and forth.

I do kind of miss the thumb safety on my M&P. Just a personal preference. I practice drawing and firing a lot and like the safety when reholstering. I think I will settle into this gun nicely and I already trust it enough to carry it.

Can you get the pinky extensions separately or does HK hate me?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took it out on Monday and ran 200 rounds through it. Had two failure to feeds on the 1st two mags. After that it got better.

I was a bit bummed at 1st that it wasn't the laser I experienced when I once shot the full sized. The trigger wasn't insanely better than the 1.0 9c I usually carry but after a few mags I started to feel the reset and settle in on the weight of the trigger,

I will say the glow-y sights were a huge improvement over the stock 1.0 M&P sights. I put shots on target a lot faster. By the 10th mag I was a lot more accurate than the M&P and I was switching guns back and forth.

I do kind of miss the thumb safety on my M&P. Just a personal preference. I practice drawing and firing a lot and like the safety when reholstering. I think I will settle into this gun nicely and I already trust it enough to carry it.

Can you get the pinky extensions separately or does HK hate me?
View Quote
You can get the pinky extension separately here. Thing is, why bother when you can get a 13 round magazine that gives the pinky extension as well and increase your capacity for the same size? 13 Round Magazine
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had one for two years now and never a hiccup. It has been so reliable I gave it to my wife.
She keeps it with the 13rd mags
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Like mine so much, I got a 2nd one. Shoots great suppressed also. I shoot them better than G-19's. And yes, get the 13 round mags. More betterer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]
VP 9 SK is a great gun, and should serve you well.

However, if you find it's not working out for you,  look at the M&P 2.0 Subcompact. Same size as the 9C, same mags,  MUCH better grip texture and trigger pull. The 9C was my first carry gun but handling the 2.0 sub made me want to get mine stippled.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top