Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 7:25:49 AM EDT
A New to me Ruger NM Superblack Hawk .44 Mag 0811

Can any suggest a simple well made leather belt holster for wearing in the woods? Handgun will be 2ndary hunting piece. Is the Hunter line any good?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the same gun in 2014

It's a rugged beast

I love it.

I have a holster similar to the old army tanker holster, but forget who made it

I put a spring kit, and stronger cylinder pin spring in it.

and a fiber optic front sight.
I also cut back the cylinder pin, to assist in ejecting the cases

I found that if you leave the stock grips on it, and simply wear cheap leather work gloves, it allows the gun to ride up in your hand during recoil, without fatigue.

unlike a S&W, I can shoot this all afternoon without pain.

rubber grips and hot loads felt like a 500hp muscle car popping the clutch on the web of your hand.

10gr unique, or 9gr universal with a 240-265gr SWC makes a nice warm load that is enough for big deer and doesn't set off earth quake detectors in New Zeeland.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can any suggest a simple well made leather belt holster
View Quote

I fortunately can do just that.

I feel obligated to tell you about Simply Rugged.

Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake

Yep - it's about $80 bucks (they'll e-mail you a coupon after you join their e-mail list), but you'll overlook that once you get one.  In terms of hiking, sitting, lying down, whatever, I've not been able to find a more desirable holster.  The way they position the revolver on the belt, and the overall retention and coverage is very well thought out.  You will never want to take it off, it is next-level in terms of comfort - unlike the VAST majority of cheaper holsters (including the brand you mentioned - which isn't that much cheaper).  

Here's a quick list of other high quality leather holsters I've tried before settling on Simply Rugged:  Desantis, Galco, Buchmeier, Bianchi, Safariland, Don Hume.  Now, some of those guys make better 'duty' gear, but for just regular belt carry, custom molded pancake holsters is where it's at.  Desantis is close, but I don't know if they make holsters for Single Action revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I’ll look into them right now. MUCH appreciated!

@Dolomite, do you remember what you used on their drop down menu, or did you just call/email them? The 5.5 NM Super Blackhawk isn’t listed.

Thanks

Disregard, it was WAAAAY down the list.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A New to me Ruger NM Superblack Hawk .44 Mag 0811

https://i.imgur.com/geGu8bW.jpg.

Can any suggest a simple well made leather belt holster for wearing in the woods? Handgun will be 2ndary hunting piece. Is the Hunter line any good?
View Quote

I have always wanted some form of Blackhawk.  They are just awesome guns.  Before you buy for look at eBay.  They have some great deals on holster on there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep - it's about $80 bucks (they'll e-mail you a coupon after you join their e-mail list), but you'll overlook that once you get one.  In terms of hiking, sitting, lying down, whatever, I've not been able to find a more desirable holster.  The way they position the revolver on the belt, and the overall retention and coverage is very well thought out.  You will never want to take it off, it is next-level in terms of comfort - unlike the VAST majority of cheaper holsters (including the brand you mentioned - which isn't that much cheaper).  

Here's a quick list of other high quality leather holsters I've tried before settling on Simply Rugged:  Desantis, Galco, Buchmeier, Bianchi, Safariland, Don Hume.  Now, some of those guys make better 'duty' gear, but for just regular belt carry, custom molded pancake holsters is where it's at.  Desantis is close, but I don't know if they make holsters for Single Action revolvers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for Simply Rugged holsters

Honestly, with leather holsters "buy once, cry once" is really the best course of action.  You don't need to spend money on the fancy engraving or exotic materials, but I would spend the money for a well made holster that uses quality leather.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Honestly, with leather holsters "buy once, cry once" is really the best course of action.  You don't need to spend money on the fancy engraving or exotic materials, but I would spend the money for a well made holster that uses quality leather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I want a brown/tan alligator to match some Luchesse Boots I have, but I’m not spending $300 on a holster. I’m probably just gonna snag the basic Oxblood version of that holster. It’s gorgeous.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, I want a brown/tan alligator to match some Luchesse Boots I have, but I’m not spending $300 on a holster. I’m probably just gonna snag the basic Oxblood version of that holster. It’s gorgeous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered this holster today.

2-4 week wait. Sounds like it’s gonna be a belt carry for now. (Like I’m ever gonna get into the woods again).
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, I love the stainless Ruger's.  I've been wanting a similar gun with a Bisley grip frame.  I still can't figure out why Ruger won't make them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking revolver.

I have a .454 SRH for my huntin revolver. The only thing I really can't stand about Ruger is they can put some seriously cheap shitty rear sights on an otherwise damn fine gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I sorta want new grips now.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on the new shooter. Altamont makes some decent grips for it, for the price. I bought some Altamont grips for a different gun I own and they turned out nice. The downside is that they don't always some of the grips you may like available.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Altamont for grips.
I have a Mernickle PS6SA and like it a lot but don't overlook the Triple K holsters on Shop Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice ruger.

I’ve got a triple k Wyoming western rig and I’ve also got a simple hunter holster that I wear most of the time when I’m out in the yard or in the woods.

May I suggest getting some grips that actually fit the frame from a place like http://chigsgrips.com/. The prices and quality cannot be beat IMHO. I sent my frame to him.   I’m not much on the sloppy fit on the ruger factory panels.. I picked up the pistol on a Monday and had the frame in the mail to him the following day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote

@lilMAC25

nothing rubber.

save the rubber grips for double action guns.

wear some $6.00 lowes work gloves, and let the gun roll-up in your hand during recoil, this really tames the bite.

I'm happy with the stock grips

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Very nice ruger.

I’ve got a triple k Wyoming western rig and I’ve also got a simple hunter holster that I wear most of the time when I’m out in the yard or in the woods.

May I suggest getting some grips that actually fit the frame from a place like http://chigsgrips.com/. The prices and quality cannot be beat IMHO. I sent my frame to him.   I’m not much on the sloppy fit on the ruger factory panels.. I picked up the pistol on a Monday and had the frame in the mail to him the following day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/0EE8B729-0728-475B-8E96-64194B470503_jpe-1882035.JPG
View Quote

@Honda4828 I looked at his site yesterday. What’s the rough turnaround time?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I looked at his site yesterday. What’s the rough turnaround time?

Nate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice ruger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/0EE8B729-0728-475B-8E96-64194B470503_jpe-1882035.JPG

I looked at his site yesterday. What’s the rough turnaround time?

Nate

It’s been a few years back but I remember it being fairly quick. IIRC he had the frame for two days.  He’s a good guy to talk to give him a call.

ETA: my only regret is not buying at-least one more set while he had my frame. I’d like some black, ivory or spalted maple.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s been a few years back but I remember it being fairly quick. IIRC he had the frame for two days.  He’s a good guy to talk to give him a call.

ETA: my only regret is not buying at-least one more set while he had my frame. I’d like some black, ivory or spalted maple.
View Quote

Absolutely.

It’s amusing, I’ve only had the firearm for a few days and not even shot it yet, but I’m loathe to ship it (though I probably will).

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice. Simply Rugged for the holster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Absolutely.

It’s amusing, I’ve only had the firearm for a few days and not even shot it yet, but I’m loathe to ship it (though I probably will).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

I did the same thing. Picked up from my ffl and the very next day the grip frame was in the mail
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy crap, this thing kicks like a freaking MULE with full house loads. It’s very manageable with my bunny fart loads.

Shoots way right though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy crap, this thing kicks like a freaking MULE with full house loads. It’s very manageable with my bunny fart loads.

Shoot way right though.
View Quote
Your front sight is probably canted to the left. Poorly installed barrels are very common on Rugers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your front sight is probably canted to the left. Poorly installed barrels are very common on Rugers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot way right though.

I’ll try to suss that out today. Luckily, I have the adjustable rear sights on it, so I should be able to compensate for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#25]
After some consideration, I think I need extended grips on this gun. My pinkie hangs off the end and is completely useless when gripping the factory offerings.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After some consideration, I think I need extended grips on this gun. My pinkie hangs off the end and is completely useless when gripping the factory offerings.
View Quote

That's the normal way to shoot the plow handle grip.  It works well with calibers that don't have heavy recoil.  Some people prefer that style but for most people, myself included, the Bisley grip is the only way to fly.  Dang it Ruger!! Give us these guns with a Bisley grip!!

The extended grips should help although I have no experience with them.

Also, if it shoots too far to right I'd send it to Ruger.  I hate having to max out or almost max out an adjustable sight to compensate for a barrel that's not where it should be.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like TexasGrips offers an extended version. Anyone have a review?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Bought some extended grips from Texas Grips. Really like em.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice ruger.

He has two of my frames right now. Said he is busy at the moment and it could be four weeks. He usually beats his time estimates though. I'm sure the stimulus checks caused lots of people to buy nice grips for their guns.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/1274403C-89E8-459A-9784-82484119971A_jpe-1899743.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/1274403C-89E8-459A-9784-82484119971A_jpe-1899743.JPG

Looks good! I suspect a lot easier on the hand with heavy loads too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He has two of my frames right now. Said he is busy at the moment and it could be four weeks. He usually beats his time estimates though. I'm sure the stimulus checks caused lots of people to buy nice grips for their guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice ruger.

I wanted to go with him, but he doesn’t make extended grips.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#32]
If you don't mind, post how much difference there is shooting heavy loads with those new grips compared to the standard plowhandles.  I really, really, want a stainless .44 magnum SBH Bisley but Ruger just refuses to make them for some reason.  Going the route you went might be the next best option.  I already know I don't like shooting hot ammo with the plowhandles...ouch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you don't mind, post how much difference there is shooting heavy loads with those new grips compared to the standard plowhandles.  I really, really, want a stainless .44 magnum SBH Bisley but Ruger just refuses to make them for some reason.  Going the route you went might be the next best option.  I already know I don't like shooting hot ammo with the plowhandles...ouch.
View Quote

I think there was quite a difference. For one, the top side of my middle finger wasnt bruised from the trigger guard. I do think  more recoil energy was transferred into the palm of my hand though.

If I remember, I’ll try to take some video to show the difference.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks.  I guess I need to start considering doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My RH load for a 240gr. JSP is 24.7 grains of W296.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My RH load for a 240gr. JSP is 24.7 grains of W296.  
View Quote

Ooooof. I think I’m at 24.0 of H110, maybe 24.5, and it’s SPICY.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake should arrive tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top