Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2020 8:07:05 AM EDT
Scored a Sig P220 Elite Match for a smoking deal, now I need to feed her.

Any links and ammo recommendations would be appreciated! Maybe a box of 20 HD rounds, and cheaper range ammo?

Usually, I have the ammo before the gun, but opportunity struck
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Give Double Tap a call. They sell factory direct and 10mm is one of their specialties.
Good people to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that new mfr ammo? I will do just that, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Great job finding a great deal on a 10 mm Sig. Now the bad part, 500 rds of the cheapest 10mm ammo I could find is going to set you back close to $400..

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/10mm-auto
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Underwood
Buffalo Bore
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sig brand 180grn load is also good if you see it. Not downloaded crap like 90% of the loads in the market.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Learn to reload

You're welcome from the future
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn to reload

You're welcome from the future
View Quote

Haha, someday!

So for now, source some Sig, Underwood etc. What about Federal 180gr? Its about all I can find in stock.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Double Tap
Underwood
If you can help it, stay with 200gr.
Welcome to 10mm.
I have used Double Tap ammo for years, 200gr XTP is what I use when I deer hunt with my Glock inside of 25 yards.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Double Tap
Underwood
Welcome to 10mm.
View Quote

I just picked up a G20.3 myself as a wilderness gun. Is the 200gr Underwood cast lead safe to shoot out of Glock barrels? I know you're not supposed to shoot unjacketed rounds out of barrels with polygonal rifling, but I'm not sure if those count.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I would stay with jacketed bullets unless you are going to replace the barrel. I was never a fan of cast lead bullets, there's really no reason to load those in North America unless you are in Big bear country. Then I would have the 10mm, and my .500 in a cross draw.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot a lot of lead rounds out of my first gen G17 back in the day without any issue.  How you may ask?

I actually cleaned the pistol after every range session where I shot lead.  You know, that maintenance process that most Glock owners are very sketchy on.

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Double Tap
Underwood
Welcome to 10mm.
I have used Double Tap ammo for years, 200gr XTP is what I use when I deer hunt with my Glock inside of 25 yards.
View Quote

Same here.  
Problem is 10MM was already $ before this mess.  It's really high now & little in stock.
Basic range ammo I have some SIG, Blazer, & Federal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would stay with jacketed bullets unless you are going to replace the barrel. I was never a fan of cast lead bullets, there's really no reason to load those in North America unless you are in Big bear country. Then I would have the 10mm, and my .500 in a cross draw.
View Quote

I currently live in Central MT, and while Mr. Grizz usually keeps to the western part of the state, I do spend time there in the summer, and I definitely live in black bear territory.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Haha, someday!

So for now, source some Sig, Underwood etc. What about Federal 180gr? Its about all I can find in stock.
View Quote

I buy directly from Underwood they ship quick, about the only thing left at my lgs is best mm.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Haha, someday!

View Quote
Federal should be fine in your SIG.  It ran really well in my Delta until I beefed it up to run the mean stuff.  It does still run but jusssssssst barely.  Your SIG should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd recommend signing up for Midway's back in stock notification for this listing - it was in stock last week, so hopefully the price won't change when they get more in:

Federal Champion 10mm Auto 180 Grain FMJ 1000 rd Case - $599.99

Seemed like a better price than most other places when it popped up last week.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Love the Sig 220 . Time to consider reloading , Longshot and 800x are great powders for the 10mm. It will pay for itself 10 fold in the fist year if you shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're cheaper, less pressure and higher velocity, barrels will last longer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't reload and want as close to the Norma power 10mm loads, as God intended, then the best factory options (in my own experience) to seek would be Underwood, Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore. I prefer Underwood above all as the quality to price point ratio is right. Most other  factory 10mm offerings don't offer any better performance than .40 S&W. For Range ammo, Sig Sauer Elite Performance 180gr FMJ and Federal American Eagle 180gr are loaded pretty warm and can usually be found on store shelves.

My 10mm is a special purpose woods gun and I'm not shooting it in any 1,000 round Tactical  training courses or anything like that, so I can justify buying Underwood vs. reloading my own to save money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure him being new to 10mm, add the fact that he's not a reloader, plus ammo cost....I think it's a safe bet he won't wear out a barrel shooting jacketed bullets.
Yes, I'm aware they are cheaper and causes minimal wear on the barrel.
Expert tip: don't shoot LEAD bullets inside of an indoor range. Unless you enjoy the taste and increased lead content in your blood.

Disclaimer : no reason to load lead bullets unless, you are shooting a lot of matches and or you have a reloader plus the keys to the tire shop to get tire weights to smelt from your local Big 10 tire mart.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you don't reload and want as close to the Norma power 10mm loads, as God intended, then the best factory options (in my own experience) to seek would be Underwood, Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore. I prefer Underwood above all as the quality to price point ratio is right. Most other  factory 10mm offerings don't offer any better performance than .40 S&W. For Range ammo, Sig Sauer Elite Performance 180gr FMJ and Federal American Eagle 180gr are loaded pretty warm and can usually be found on store shelves.

My 10mm is a special purpose woods gun and I'm not shooting it in any 1,000 round Tactical  training courses or anything like that, so I can justify buying Underwood vs. reloading my own to save money.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth OP... Sig has the best non-boutique loads that are close to the spec the round was designed to do... For the woods hands down is going to be either  Buffalo Bore or Underwood's 220grain Hard Cast Keith Pills pushing 1200fps... It performs very similar to one of my favorite sub-calibers... The .45Super... with a 255 grain hard cast "Keith" pill pushing 1100fps. Both the .45Super and 220 grain 10mm perform very similar and are good choices for a woods gun. Reloading will be your ultimate best friend but if you aren't set up for that just yet the Boutique Loaders aforementioned will have your pick of poison for time being when in stock.

I use both Underwood's and Buffalo Bore's 255 grain "Keith's" for .44Special and their heavy big brothers in 305's for .44Magnum outings that I'm very comfortable in my 3" M24 and M629.  Make sure to order a couple hundred of your favorite loads at a time to make it worth the price/effort and shipping cost; and always keep 100 of your favorite woods loads on hand. You bought a fun gun in a both fun and useful universal caliber!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Double Tap...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd recommend signing up for Midway's back in stock notification for this listing - it was in stock last week, so hopefully the price won't change when they get more in:
Federal Champion 10mm Auto 180 Grain FMJ 1000 rd Case .
View Quote

Given that Midway's 'Specifications' section at the above link lists "1060fps" as the m.v. for this 180gn ammo, said ammo is either .40 ammo that's inadvertently been mislabeled as "10mm AUTO," which is very insulting to the Best Meter, ... or it's really junk ammo masquerading as "10mm" in name only.

Majorly avoid, and spend your hard-earned ammo $$$ on the real deal stuff elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
A lot of the factory loaded 10mm is weeeeeak. Basically loaded down to .40 S&W. You didn’t pick a great time to pick up a new caliber. In terms of range ammo, I’ve found the Magtech to actually be loaded decently hot for the price. For defense or carrying in the woods, I would second the other recommendations of Underwood. Speer makes a 10mm Gold Dot and Hornady also makes a Critical Duty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been using Georgia arms ammo for about 15 years now. They currently have some good 180 grain hollow point stuff in stock, loaded to 1200fps. They load their stuff much hotter than .40 but not quite as hot as Buffalo bore, etc.

Www.georgia-arms.com

Always been accurate and reliable for me. Probably shot 3000 rounds of their stuff over the years
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot 100 rounds of the Fiocchi 180 grain fmj’s the other day. Give those a try. Seemed just as hot as the Sig Elite. Think they are cheaper too.
The S&B is way weak. Stay away from that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Given that Midway's 'Specifications' section at the above link lists "1060fps" as the m.v. for this 180gn ammo, said ammo is either .40 ammo that's inadvertently been mislabeled as "10mm AUTO," which is very insulting to the Best Meter, ... or it's really junk ammo masquerading as "10mm" in name only.

Majorly avoid, and spend your hard-earned ammo $$$ on the real deal stuff elsewhere.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm certainly not knowledgeable about 10mm but suggested it based on this feedback from another member in the Team forum:

Good ammo, i have a bunch. Only issue is that it is SMALL pistol primer, at least I think it is.
View Quote

The Federal American Eagle 180gr mentioned by the_professional above is also spec'd at 1060 fps:

Quoted:
For Range ammo, Sig Sauer Elite Performance 180gr FMJ and Federal American Eagle 180gr are loaded pretty warm and can usually be found on store shelves.
View Quote

Always interesting to see the different opinions here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top