Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/26/2019 11:32:21 PM EDT

The above is a leaked image of the brand new Colt Python which is supposed to be announced at SHOT SHOW.  Supposedly distributors already have them in stock but are not allowed to release any information or photos.  There's been a lot of talk over the last 6 months about the gun.  Currently a lot of discussion about it on the Colt forum as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's not in Royal Blue, it's not a Python.

Have to wonder how different the lockwork is going to be.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the locking lug is dragging on the cylinder.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sort of want.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can hope for a slight reduction in vintage Python prices so I can hope to afford one. I have noticed they seem to be on a plateau for now. I wonder what street pricing will end up being for the new release.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sort of want.
View Quote
I am this camp too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like the locking lug is dragging on the cylinder.
View Quote
No, Pythons have very long grooved locking recesses.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Just in time for Ricks return
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully they price it logically.

Everybody wants a python, nobody wants python prices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Cylinder release goes the wrong way, it will get you killed on the streets, three times.  

Still chambered in 357 Magnum...

It will be interesting to see what they are priced at and then what they sell for.  It will also be interesting to see how well they hold up too high volume shooting compared to the 686.  The new python has some high expectations to live up to.  It will be interesting to see if that legacy helps or hurts this new version succeed as a product.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#11]
4" stainless Python? I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see what they are priced at and then what they sell for.  It will also be interesting to see how well they hold up too high volume shooting compared to the 686.  The new python has some high expectations to live up to.  It will be interesting to see if that legacy helps or hurts this new version succeed as a product.
View Quote
I mean who's making them? I thought one of the complaints was that colt didn't have the ability to make them again as they didn't have the people trained to do it.

You are right though about high expectations, the expectations of a new version of this is something that I don't think it could possibility live up too. I'd love to see them kill it though. I have multiple 686's but if they could pull this off I'd buy one or two.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, that's going to cost me some money.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Let’s start a pool on price.

Imma say $1,599
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope they do it right, but reality says probably not.

My guess:  New list  price -  $1699.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#16]
My guess it’ll flop.
People who want Pythons want originals.
Nobody is going to pay ~$1500+ for a clone.
Hopefully they strengthened it where you can actually use .357mag ammo in it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Good on them for bringing another snake gun back into production.

We all knew more snakes were coming.  When they first brought back the Cobra it came in a box big enough for the Joker’s gun...and it was holding a snub.  Then came the new King Cobra and it had a 3” barrel.  Didn’t take a rocket surgeon to deduce that guns with longer barrels were in the works.

Of course it won’t be the same as the old days.  Duh.  Manufacturing technology has changed.  A lot.  Used to be labor was cheap but machinery expensive.  It is the opposite today.  And the ability of modern machinery to produce high quality is incredible.  The new Cobra and King Cobra are not the same as the old days.  But so what?  They are good.

If it is a Python for 2020 fine...I will buy it.  My guess is it goes for a grand, whatever MSRP might be.

Personally, I was hoping for the Anaconda next.

I have said it before and I will say it again; there is also room for “new snake guns”.  Imagine a “Boa” in .460/.480/.500.  A “Mamba” in a moonclip caliber like 9/10mm or .45ACP.  Even a “Viper” in .327 Fed Mag.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Man I hope these are "nice".  I really want these to be "real Pythons".
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let’s start a pool on price.

Imma say $1,599
View Quote
Shit, they are going full retard I have read in other places like $2500 or so.  I'm mixed and torn. On one hand I'm happy Colt is making a comeback with their revolvers but then I'm like fuck them and their overpriced half assed rendition/ remake. They have fucked up so badly in the past with the M16 remakes that sucked ass and couldn't hold the jock strap of an Sp1 that they lied to everyone about being high because of retooling cost when they didn't even make the things.

I want to believe and own one again but I'm cautiously skeptical
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Shit, they are going full retard I have read in other places like $2500 or so.  I'm mixed and torn. On one hand I'm happy Colt is making a comeback with their revolvers but then I'm like fuck them and their overpriced half assed rendition/ remake. They have fucked up so badly in the past with the M16 remakes that sucked ass and couldn't hold the jock strap of an Sp1 that they lied to everyone about being high because of retooling cost when they didn't even make the things.

View Quote
Trooper MK3.  All of the pleasure, none of the guilt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll co-sign this.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I read this somewhere else:

"The standard model will not have a ribbed barrel. Gun has a polished SS frame and barrel. Laminated grips. MSRP of $2399. A ribbed barrel exclusive Colt’s Collectors run is set to be released with an MSRP of $2799. The run will be limited to 500 guns."

Somehow this seems about right given the stupidity of Colt. I'm sure it will sell just fine, just not to me.

Personally, the Current King Cobra Target has my attention. I like it currently in 4.25" and would love it in 6". For $1000, that's far closer to my budget than $2000+, which I would never spend on a revolver like that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't say I'd be shocked at those prices if they are true.

The problem is going to be if the new guns are actually worth their asking price.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no idea if Colt is going to pull this off correctly.  But I will say this.  There is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Never in the history of manufacturing has it been easier to make a Python.  Internals can be made by CNC or EDM.  Barrel & frame forged and CNC machined.  Hand fitting of parts is just not that hard, even on a Python.  Yeah it takes skill, but it's skill I could teach ANYONE in a single afternoon.  The real problem is metal polishing.  Polishing to a 500 grit level without rounding off every edge...that takes a LONG time to learn how to do right.  Polishing is a job that just SUCKS because it's a bit back breaking standing there all damn day, and your eyes get tired.  It's just really tough to do it right all day long.  Now THOSE employees are hard to get, train, and keep.  That's really the hardest part of the whole thing.

But it appears they skipped the fine polishing (assuming that really is the real new python in the photo).  They can probably get away with that, but if they get the internal parts wrong, it won't matter because people won't buy it.  If they get it mechanically right, people will put up with a 300grit polish vs. the 500 grit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The problem is going to be if the new guns are actually worth their asking price.
View Quote
If they come in around $1,500 then it's VERY much worth it (provided they get it right).  Since reorganization Colt has been kinda killing it, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.  I'll cue up to buy one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh, I so want 2 things from this...  quality and price.  We all know there is a triangle between quality, price, and speed, and you can only choose 2.  Well, it's been a LONG wait, so one could theoretically expect that we get the other two....

If it's $2500, they are going to kill a TON of their marketability.
If it's a MIM POS, they are going to sell a few until word gets out, and it will kill their marketability.
A long wait while they "get it right" hasn't killed the marketability yet.....

Waiting patiently to see....
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If they come in around $1,500 then it's VERY much worth it (provided they get it right).  Since reorganization Colt has been kinda killing it, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.  I'll cue up to buy one.
View Quote
I fully agree that they could make a "good" Python, charge in the mid 1K's and have a heck of a seller on their hands. I own two of their new Cobras (a regular and a King Target) and while both are decent guns I thought both were slightly overpriced when new for what you get. If the new Python is slightly better in quality than those and slightly higher in price I think they will sell as many as they can make... but if it is only slightly better in quality but stupidly higher in price, they won't.

Colt is in a weird place in that to actually make a new Python exactly like the old guns will cost a mint. We know they won't and they know they won't... some concessions will have to be made somewhere to actually make the thing for a realistic price point. Because if the new guns end up costing what the ridiculously priced old guns cost, they aren't doing themselves any favors from a marketability standpoint. At the end of the day as I said earlier in the thread, people want Pythons... what they don't want are the current old Python aftermarket prices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#30]
My first one was back in 1975. Price was $279.99 NIB for a 6 in blued.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"The standard model will not have a ribbed barrel. Gun has a polished SS frame and barrel. Laminated grips. MSRP of $2399. A ribbed barrel exclusive Colt’s Collectors run is set to be released with an MSRP of $2799. The run will be limited to 500 guns."

Somehow this seems about right given the stupidity of Colt. I'm sure it will sell just fine, just not to me.

Personally, the Current King Cobra Target has my attention. I like it currently in 4.25" and would love it in 6". For $1000, that's far closer to my budget than $2000+, which I would never spend on a revolver like that.
View Quote
I read that yesterday on the Colt forums, and I believe others in the know said the guy who posted that info was far from correct.  From what I have heard, the MSRP is going to be around $1,500 meaning the street price should fall around $1,100-1,300.  But until Colt officially announces it, we can't be sure.  From what I understand, all versions of the new Python should be ribbed as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I read that yesterday on the Colt forums, and I believe others in the know said the guy who posted that info was far from correct.  From what I have heard, the MSRP is going to be around $1,500 meaning the street price should fall around $1,100-1,300.  But until Colt officially announces it, we can't be sure.  From what I understand, all versions of the new Python should be ribbed as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting...I guess we'll see. Depending on the fit/finish, I'd gladly give $1300 for one.

Quoted:
My first one was back in 1975. Price was $279.99 NIB for a 6 in blued.
Well...adjusted for inflation that seems to be just under $1400, so that's about right.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interesting...I guess we'll see. Depending on the fit/finish, I'd gladly give $1300 for one.
View Quote
Same.  The Python is my favorite revolver of all time.  I'd gladly pay that price for a new one.  I'd own an older one if they didn't command such a ridiculous premium.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
All of this.

I'd have to handle one in the wild, but by that time they'd all be snapped up.

I'd think a buyer would have to bite the bullet, pay the money, and find out later if it was a waste.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
$2500?!?!?!?

Oh F that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
No doubt they may sell a few initially but as was mentioned elsewhere and I agree its like Dodge making the Challenger again. Its possibly better in everyway than the original but at the end of the day it will never be as good as the original in the eyes of many
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Hot damn!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I've never really researched the Python...what makes it so expensive?
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Might be $ 1200, I bet they sell all they can make at that price even though there will be a lot of sneering that it's not full of handmade parts hand polished parts examined by Santa's Elves using jeweler's loops.
View Quote
At $1200 there will be zero hand fitting involved. So the lock work can't be original.  As I recall the price before they discontinued them was north of $1500 and that was several years ago.  If these come out under 2k I'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

At $1200 there will be zero hand fitting involved. So the lockwork can't be original.
View Quote
Honest question, does Colt even have personnel anymore that can hand fit revolver triggers in anything other than a onsey-twosey custom shop arrangement?
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Honest question, does Colt even have personnel anymore that can hand fit revolver triggers in anything other than a onsey-twosey custom shop arrangement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At $1200 there will be zero hand fitting involved. So the lockwork can't be original.
Highly doubtful
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My guess it’ll flop.
People who want Pythons want originals.
Nobody is going to pay ~$1500+ for a clone.
Hopefully they strengthened it where you can actually use .357mag ammo in it.
View Quote
I think If they are priced high enough they will do ok. Pythons are for collectors. They would not release them at a price that many actual shooters would consider them over something else.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trooper MKIII's are still cheap.

Attachment Attached File

I got cash back from 5 bills for this one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"The standard model will not have a ribbed barrel. Gun has a polished SS frame and barrel. Laminated grips. MSRP of $2399. A ribbed barrel exclusive Colt's Collectors run is set to be released with an MSRP of $2799. The run will be limited to 500 guns."

View Quote
If that's right, they can keep it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've never really researched the Python...what makes it so expensive?
View Quote
I'd also like to know.  What I've heard is that the python had the smoothest, most precise lockwork of any factory DA action.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_2329_JPG-1210714.JPG

View Quote
Let me know if you find one for a similar price at an FFL that ships?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Meh.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_2329_JPG-1210714.JPG

I'll look, I have it's flashier sister in nickel that was even cheaper but didn't come with the original box and target.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The standard model will not have a ribbed barrel. Gun has a polished SS frame and barrel. Laminated grips. MSRP of $2399. A ribbed barrel exclusive Colt's Collectors run is set to be released with an MSRP of $2799. The run will be limited to 500 guns."

Wont even be looking at one for that price
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top