Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 9:59:33 PM EDT
FN Marked. FN proofs (no British proofs as I would expect to see).

Seller says is it SAS model.

Any thoughts? Serial checks out to be 1986, FN Made and marked (as opposed to Browning, which is what 99% of US market ones were marked).

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean SFS?

The HP-SFS (Safe-Fast-Shooting) is a current variation on the Hi-Power Mark III with a modified firing mechanism. After the weapon is loaded, the hammer is pushed forward, which automatically activates the safety catch. When the shooter is prepared to fire, the safety is pressed down with the thumb, releasing the hammer to spring backwards into the usual, single-action position. A similar system is available for modifying Colt M1911A1s. Magazines are interchangeable with the Mark III and others.

If you are inquiring of this being an British SAS issued P35 aka L9A1...I would highly doubt it.

The L9A1, was the British designation for the military version of the post-1962 Hi-Power, and is marked 'Pistol Automatic L9A1' on the left side of the slide. It started to replace Inglis variants in British service from the late 1960s, and the two types remained in service together until the Inglis variants were finally retired in the late 1980s. It is still in service with the UK military forces, although now fitted with the more ergonomic Mk2 ambidextrous safety and grips. The L9A1 was also widely used by other Commonwealth armed forces. The Hi-Power was the pistol issued to the British Special Air Service throughout the Cold War era. It was phased out in 2013 and replaced with the Glock 17. (Error- The SAS began using the Sig 226 in the mid-late 1980's)

18Z50
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
A bit of both. I am prior British Army.

The L9A1 was issued as a sidearm to officers and some men as needed to all regiments.

SAS Regiment had variants that they had extra needs looked after such as different safeties, protected barrels, lanyard loops etc.

They continued to buy way after P35, but this clearly isn't actual British as no British proof marks on it.

However, what spec is the pistol in the pics? Doesn't look standard, is it a parts gun?

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
No, its obviously Australian issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks far to nice to be a ex-military pistol.   Hopefully we have a British pistol RKI on the forum.

Stolen from JOESCUBA's earlier post- "MKIII, no firing pin safety.  L9A1 spec/contract does not call for one.  I think only the MKIIIS have the added fp safety".  Does you pistol have afireing pin safety?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  Does the modern (post 1970) British Army / MoD sell former service arms surplus?
2.  Any British proof marks or the canceled broad arrow as used on surplused British military arms in the past.
3.  Any import markings as required on commercial post 1968 imports of surplus arms?
4.  Any verifiable provenance?  Documents, Form 6?
Or just a great story?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm under no illusion its British, it isn't as it would need British proof marks, which is doesn't have.

But did a FN with the features shown exist as a model?

I guess the big question, what's it worth?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked with Royal Marines for a year and their Hi-Powers were all beat to piss.  Seems unlikely that nice new pistol came from a military unit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Did the British Army buy High Powers from FN? I thought they came from Inglis in Canada.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks a lot like my Israeli surplus pistol that I just got (though that one is in much nicer looking shape)
Mine has the importer's markings on the bottom of the dust cover in front of the trigger guard.
According to the serial info, mine was made in 1985,  and is a MKII though I believe the safety on it is MKIII
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a standard FN marked MKII
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate everyone's help!

I did not buy it in the end, too many questions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a standard FN marked MKII
View Quote

This.
I have two just like it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]
With lots of information presented from fellow board members, I'll add this. Being sort of old and around the block a few times, it's been my experience that you buy the pistol and not the  story. I believe this thread is a clear example of that truism.

Valken
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top