Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2022 12:34:16 PM EDT
1873 SAA .45C

gunstroker link

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/930925487

Seems to good to be true.  Is it a restoration?

I doubt I will win the bid, unless I am missing something.  Help please.  Serial number is in the correct range for 1913.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a decent “shooter” quality re-blue. The other guns I’ve seen from this era have a fired case hardened frame and hammer still. The grip frame and barrel show a brush polish and not true high polish like it would have shipped with from Colt. The s/n and rampant colt show signs of post-factory polishing. Also, it seems weird the gun could survive pristine and cared for, but someone tossed the original gutta percha grips for some cruder, newer wooden ones.

Here’s pics of an original survivor:

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/1912-saa-colt-45.129520/#lg=thread-129520&slide=4

Here’s an expert restoration to original (but rollmarks not restored).

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/gorgeous-colt-saa-revolver-14347.html

Another thing to note is the seller knows very, very little about guns so nothing said is to be trusted  - I looked at some of his other auctions. Some are indeed original condition, desirable guns but he doesn’t know what is what or how to describe them.

SAA’s are not my area of expertise (own and shoot a Pietta clone is about it). But I have owned and studied S&W revolvers and Colt Autos from 1916 up for two decades so not entirely inexperienced. (So you know where I am coming from).
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I expect to be out bid and I had a bad feeling soon after I bid.

I looked at as many examples that I could find on the web.  I wouldn't mind a refinished shooter, as I intend to shoot it.  I just don't want to get stuck with a fake when I could get a Uberti that I know is going to shoot just fine.

No stamp on the top of the barrel, is that a clue?

Whew!  Outbid already.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about detailed markings as SAA collecting has never been my thing.  The guys at coltforum would know all that.  I see some other rollmarks were lightened with polishing, maybe anything that was supposed to be there was polished out.

Since you have SASS in your avatar you probably know all the ins-outs on the alternatives.  As I said I'm not a long-time SAA guy but I did get a Ruger OM blackhawk last year, and a Pietta 1873 clone this winter and am really very satisfied with them for the money, despite the lack of "authenticity."  I like both and am fitting some custom bonded ivory grips to them both, and refinishing the Ruger grip frame to look brass (not real brass), and planning on never selling them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1873 SAA .45C

Seems to good to be true.  Is it a restoration?  

I doubt I will win the bid, unless I am missing something.  Help please.  Serial number is in the correct range for 1913.
View Quote

Well, it is too good to be true and no, it is not a restoration.  There are multiple issues with that SAA.  These (below) are just from a quick glance at the photos.

- Not original finish, from the factory, that Colt's frame came Color Case Hardened
- Buffed down, the screw holes are all washed out, see how proud the frame screws are
- First comment above, frame is blue
- The one piece grip is not original
- The cylinder is a replacement 2nd gen part, not the original 1st gen part
- Buffed down (more), see how light the maker's mark (address) and chamber mark are
- none of the screws I see in the photos are original

With all that said, it is a good shooter grade pistol for daily carry in the woods, but not worth much more than a new Ruger or such.  Collector value should be around $800 - $1100.  The only thing that could possibly be going for it is if someone was despirate for one from 1913 (only 3000 made that year).   Otherwise, just one look and a collector wouldn't even touch that one if he had gloves on.

MLG
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again, glad I didn't drunk-buy it.

I probably don't need a .45C, I will just stick with .357.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shy of $2800 at the gavel, would be about $3100 OTD here w/tax, shipping, transfer.  ouch

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/930925487
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top