Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2022 3:05:14 PM EDT
Bull barrel, half rail, Trijicon night sights, 2# trigger with no real creep.  Seen some use but looks like it's in pretty good shape.

The shop also has a Smith & Wesson lightweight commander of some sort for the same price with aftermarket grips and a $295 trigger job the shop did for the owner.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy it for that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yeah, I have the full rail TRP and it's fantastic
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the price of all the parts. If function safely, a no brainer buy.

Cheaper than tubberware. I cannot believe it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this just a brag thread?  I'm assuming you already took it home!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Commander price first?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Nah...shit deal.

Um, what shop did you say?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy shit I would melt my credit card getting it out that fast.

Stupid price for a decent gun, even shot to hell. Would build for my battle belt no hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
This shop is a gunsmith that's been in business for a couple decades, but they recently opened a storefront on the Main Street a couple towns over.  They carry very little inventory that is almost exclusively consignment, but it's always worth checking out because if nothing else they always have something interesting to look at.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Commander price first?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Commander price first?

$425 with a $295 trigger job.  Looks like it's this one:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/1911-1

It was a little cleaner than the TRP but I've never owned a commander.  Looks like that one is a pretty solid deal as well.  Huh, the frame says Scandium, I just assumed it was aluminum.

Quoted:
Is this just a brag thread?  I'm assuming you already took it home!

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the TRP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck yes.
I dont like bull barrels and id still buy that for 425
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Get both.

Probably on consignment and the owner needs $ fast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
FO on TRP Operator.  Owner's missing a $1k in front of the 425.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
That is an instant buy under $1k if legit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Consider that as winning a lottery even at $699. Surprised that a gunsmith shop don't know the value of a good pistol.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd expect to see $1425.  It was a great deal at $700.  At $425, you've scored.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d have taken that for $699 in a heartbeat, $425 is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
As mentioned, that's a great price. I think you would have trouble finding a decent 1911 anywhere close to that price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Get it. Range report. Pronto.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the few times that "get both" is appropriately the only answer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fuck yes.

The slide is machined for a standard bushing, if I ever wanted to make a change.  I figured I’ll shoot it first and see what happens.  The captive recoil assembly is pretty slick.

Quoted:
Get both.

Probably on consignment and the owner needs $ fast.

Yep, it sounds like it.  The woman that helped me said the owners set the price, and then she talked about how some people are still trying to list things at ridiculous COVID pricing.  She said this person just needed to sell them.  I heard another customer asking about their consignment, says it's a flat $40 fee and they stick them out for whatever.

Quoted:
One of the few times that "get both" is appropriately the only answer.

Really probably should have, not really in the budget but now I'm rethinking my decision process.  The Smith was in really nice shape and has a really nice weight to it.  Inflation has taken a toll though, I'll have my own fire sale .  If, by some odd miracle, the other one is still there I might consider it.  They’re closed on Sundays.

Quoted:
Consider that as winning a lottery even at $699. Surprised that a gunsmith shop don't know the value of a good pistol.

They seemed to know it.  Their business is almost completely gunsmithing, and they're quite busy.  They said they had several new guns in there that are consignments from another FFL, kitchen table type maybe.  Said the FFL bought a whole slew of G3C's to sell, and they had a couple under the counter.  I had one of the gunsmiths field strip the 1911 for me since I haven't messed with a bull barrel before.  He went all through it, said it seemed like quite the price for it.  Lugs are all in good shape, etc.  There is some galling on the barrel but I think that's normal, the slide has a little wear but not bad, slide to frame fit is very good.  It's been carried a good bit.  It came with the Springfield paddle holster and mag carrier.  The mag carrier looks new but the holster has obviously been used quite a bit.  The ambi safety is tight.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The half rail TRP has been discontinued.    
Personally, I'm not not a fan of the full rail.  
ArmoryKote looks like its holding up well.  Minor wear on edges.  
Range report!!!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd jump on that, but I'd still have some reservations on the quality of the shop's 2#, $295 trigger job. Would still buy it though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice score, that pistol was way underpriced.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The slide is machined for a standard bushing, if I ever wanted to make a change.  I figured I'll shoot it first and see what happens.  The captive recoil assembly is pretty slick.

Yep, it sounds like it.  The woman that helped me said the owners set the price, and then she talked about how some people are still trying to list things at ridiculous COVID pricing.  She said this person just needed to sell them.  I heard another customer asking about their consignment, says it's a flat $40 fee and they stick them out for whatever.

Really probably should have, not really in the budget but now I'm rethinking my decision process.  The Smith was in really nice shape and has a really nice weight to it.  Inflation has taken a toll though, I'll have my own fire sale .  If, by some odd miracle, the other one is still there I might consider it.  They're closed on Sundays.

They seemed to know it.  Their business is almost completely gunsmithing, and they're quite busy.  They said they had several new guns in there that are consignments from another FFL, kitchen table type maybe.  Said the FFL bought a whole slew of G3C's to sell, and they had a couple under the counter.  I had one of the gunsmiths field strip the 1911 for me since I haven't messed with a bull barrel before.  He went all through it, said it seemed like quite the price for it.  Lugs are all in good shape, etc.  There is some galling on the barrel but I think that's normal, the slide has a little wear but not bad, slide to frame fit is very good.  It's been carried a good bit.  It came with the Springfield paddle holster and mag carrier.  The mag carrier looks new but the holster has obviously been used quite a bit.  The ambi safety is tight.

https://i.imgur.com/w9MN8V1.jpg
View Quote
$25 background check? That's bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome deal
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd buy it, but the 2 lb trigger would have me double-check everything for safety. Did they do the trigger job on the TRP? Or some Bubba in his garage with a dremal?

I too have the full-rail TRP. Heavy as heck, but a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the one thing about the shop I don't much like.  I think the state here charges $7, so most shops charge $7.  It's annoying, but all in I can't argue too much.

Quoted:
I'd buy it, but the 2 lb trigger would have me double-check everything for safety. Did they do the trigger job on the TRP? Or some Bubba in his garage with a dremal?

I too have the full-rail TRP. Heavy as heck, but a sweet shooter.

They didn't do a trigger job on the TRP.  Personally I think it has more than a 2# trigger, but the smith tested it with a digital trigger pull scale.  I wasn't able to read the display when he did it, he just said "it's about 2lbs".  Maybe it was 2.9 and the scale was off a bit, but also my trigger finger doesn't have that great of resolution.  It appears that the gun is completely stock.

If I get a chance, I'll try and run to the range today.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holy shit I would melt my credit card getting it out that fast.

Stupid price for a decent gun, even shot to hell. Would build for my battle belt no hesitation.
View Quote

This, this, and this!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’d have taken that for $699 in a heartbeat, $425 is a no brainer.
View Quote

Indeed.  Not even a question.

My TRP is an excellent gun, and if I saw that one for $425 it wouldn't still be there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice.  I wonder if it was a one of the DOD TRPs that were handed over to law enforcement?.  

Regards
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice.  I wonder if it was a one of the DOD TRPs that were handed over to law enforcement?.  

Regards
View Quote

Did they use the TRP line or something from the Custom Shop like the Professional series?

Unit purchase or testing?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I kinda wish I had the black frame but I traded for mine.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I kinda wish I had the black frame but I traded for mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5273/3B924F21-3D24-4676-A884-F60910E11EC5-2095617.jpg
View Quote

I'm normally not a 2-tone guy, but those grey-ish colored TRPs look good to me.

I probably would have gotten that color if they offered it on the full rail TRPs
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
That’s an amazing deal, congrats!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, I figured I should range report so went over to an indoor range quick tonight and ran 199 rounds through it.  Why 199?  Because I forgot about the 1911 magazine bullet launch and sent one downrange with all its parts and accessories intact.  

I'm not sure where my stash of Wilson 47D's are, or if I still have them.  I picked up a CMC 8-round mag today to make sure I had a good one, it came with the 10-rd CMC and the unmarked mag.  Ran flawlessly, no failures whatsoever.  So far I like it quite a bit, maybe more than my hk45t.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, I figured I should range report so went over to an indoor range quick tonight and ran 199 rounds through it.  Why 199?  Because I forgot about the 1911 magazine bullet launch and sent one downrange with all its parts and accessories intact.  

I'm not sure where my stash of Wilson 47D's are, or if I still have them.  I picked up a CMC 8-round mag today to make sure I had a good one, it came with the 10-rd CMC and the unmarked mag.  Ran flawlessly, no failures whatsoever.  So far I like it quite a bit, maybe more than my hk45t.

https://i.imgur.com/TEgJnmY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ey4z8My.jpg
View Quote

Let me double your money on it
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/TEgJnmY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ey4z8My.jpg
View Quote

Dang dude, you need more range time. 199 rounds and only 2 hit the target???

Lol, I kid, I kid. Nice pistol, enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did they use the TRP line or something from the Custom Shop like the Professional series?

Unit purchase or testing?
View Quote

Yes COTS ( commerical of the self) purchased for DOD use/issue.  They also purchased Range Officer Operators.  Who they got them from I don't known. Maybe GT Distributing. Who every purchased them just bought TRPs and didn't spec the NOVAK sight model.   I think they disposed of all the bull barrel adjustable sight TRPs at some point.  Some ended up in law enforcement just like the M16A1.  They had their mim parts replaced.

Regards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top