Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2018 2:02:42 AM EDT
Title says it all. I'm binge watching the Jurassic Park series and Hammonds cane got me thinking.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Would they be able to handle the recoil and not crack?

They would look pretty dope.

Even fake cast resin ones with a big ole skeeter in it
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
you can make anything into 1911 grips. the trick is will it hold up to recoil and carry abuse?

the easiest would be colored epoxy, but I would imagine amber would be fine if you can get a large enough slab of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked eBay, there are actually some pretty large pieces for sale at affordable prices. I don't know the consistency of Amber, never worked with it before, but I assume it is like stone, so find somebody who works with rocks, gems and stones and they should be able to do it.
My dad used to have all the cutting and polishing equipment, cut geodes (sp) and stuff like that. The hard part may be drilling the holes. I'd imagine you'd use a diamiond cutting tool. More of an abrasive than a drill bit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's supposedly brittle as hell.  Wouldn't want to make grips for anything but a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'll look at something tougher that looks like amber.

I have to stop drinking and thinking of guns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't ever stop doing that. Ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Find someone with a Bakelizer and make some.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you familiar with "Sweetheart" grips?  Originally made from aircraft canopy plexiglass.

If you could find someone who has tinted plexi, you could make them out of that.  You could even have "inclusions" cast in if you want to go to the trouble.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top