Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 4/23/2020 11:05:34 AM EDT
I don't want to start a riot here and might have to cross post this in the AK forum.  Years ago, I had an HK P7.  I sold it off and always wondered if it was a mistake.  To be honest, I'm not certain and would like to give a P7 another try.  Not many folks in my area have them, so test driving one isn't an option.   My biggest beef with the P7, was the cocking mechanism.  If I recall, I would squeeze the trigger and no bang.  It was me, not the gun.  Having handled/fired many guns over the years, it seemed to me that the P7 required a conscious effort to squeeze the grip.  Not something I desire in a CCW.  Still, I wonder if I could have adapted to it.  IDK.  Perhaps I had it backwards.  Perhaps the P7 isn't great, for me, for range sessions because the squeezing wears on my elbows.  But keeping fresh with it for CCW, might not be an issue, wouldn't know that I guess until I try.  Before you scream Mary, it's also possible that tendinitis in my elbows plays a role here, so the P7 might just not be for "me".

Anyway, I have a chance to perhaps traded an AK47 for the P7.   Am I off base on the squeeze-cocker issue for CCW?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The P7 is a great gun for concealment, a thinner pistol you'd be hard to find.  I've never found the approximately 12# the sequueze cocker needs to activate an issue for me.

The major downside is capacity.  

ETA. if you were holding the grip as intended and the pistol failed to fire that would be an issue.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a member on the site who had a 1911 grip safety problem because he was shot through the hand. I would assume the same or worse would have happened with a P7. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion, the P7M8 in a high quality holster is one of the best concealed carry options ever invented.

However, I stopped carrying mine years ago, only because support for the pistol is dwindling, and at some point will likely go away entirely.

Magazines are incredibly expensive, and will only become more scarce, and spare parts haven't been easy to find in years.

Bottom line, I would not buy one now for carry, but that decision has nothing to do with the squeeze cocking action.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
^^^ I agree with finding a good holster and the squeeze cocker is really not an issue. I had a P7M8 Chantilly years ago, kick myself now, but when I drew it out of the holster I had no problem with squeezing it as I normally have a tight grip on a gun normally. A little practice doesn't hurt though.  The biggest problem is finding the correct holster. It is very frame heavy and with that, I needed  holster with a retention strap. That was actually more difficult to get used to than the gun itself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
if you arent squeezing the gun to 90% has hard as you can, you arent gripping the gun properly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you arent squeezing the gun to 90% has hard as you can, you arent gripping the gun properly.
View Quote

I sort of disagree. Carried one for over 13 years, competed with them. Bought a P7M8 and next I looked I had 14 P7s including 6 M13s and 3 K3s.
Once you squeeze, it takes almost a light hold to keep it hot. So the procedure is strong squeeze, then you can ease off the pressure and you still have a hot gun.
Prior comments are on target, support is the issue. If your bushing breaks finding another can be difficult.
If you need a gunsmith, forgetaboutit, none of the guys working today have P7 training.
Do i still own my original P7 and would I carry it. Definitely yes. Holsters are out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It was for me, made me decide to only carry guns  that had no safeties of any kind that needed thought to manipulate.

Many people are different so I can’t say if you would be bothered by it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not the squeeze cocker that kept me from carrying mine, it was my lack of ever finding a quality holster. I love the gun though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried mine for several years, then sold it because it was getting long of tooth and I made a hell of a profit on it.

Neat pistol, but there are other guns that fit my needs more now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Only if you consider ridiculously awesome a problem!  They are great guns.  One issue with carry is because of the design it is rear heavy with not a lot of barrel out front.  That is one the things that make it feel so good in hand and point so well, but it makes holster selection a little harder.  I don’t carry one becaus of practicality of cost/accessories but they are hands down one the coolest best guns ever made IMHO.   They shoot for sure!
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I miss Park City Tactical.

Remember that guy that always freaked out about the hydrogen embrittlement? That was great.

If you have the means, the P7 is still a premiere carry gun. Get parts though and don’t lose it.

The PSP in a delsanti disappears.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I sort of disagree. Carried one for over 13 years, competed with them. Bought a P7M8 and next I looked I had 14 P7s including 6 M13s and 3 K3s.
Once you squeeze, it takes almost a light hold to keep it hot. So the procedure is strong squeeze, then you can ease off the pressure and you still have a hot gun.
Prior comments are on target, support is the issue. If your bushing breaks finding another can be difficult.
If you need a gunsmith, forgetaboutit, none of the guys working today have P7 training.
Do i still own my original P7 and would I carry it. Definitely yes. Holsters are out there.
View Quote

There are still P7 guys around.  http://www.teufelshundtactical.com/home.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the P7 and it was my primary CC piece for years.  I finally switched to something else due to capacity concerns but have been thinking of going back to it with a spare mag carrier.
If you look at the carry market today single stack 9mm are a big player these days.

Pro:
Simple
Safe
Reliable
Thin
Good holsters exist - I used a Milt Sparks VM2

Cons:
Limited capacity
Heavy for its size
Value - Now that the price of these have jumped to the stratosphere are you comfortable carrying it knowing it is going to get some scratches & dings?
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I was issued a P7M13 for seven years.  Qualified every six months as required. I remember on a few occasion qualifying with smaller stature female officers who could not squeeze cock and fire the P7 during the required support hand only section of the course of fire.  I always wondered if my hand was injured and bloody if I would be able to get the rounds off.  David
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
The P7 doesn't carry well.  Yes, it's thin.  Problem is the weight is primary above the belt line with little below the belt, causing it to tilt outwards.  The weight is also an issue.  It's a cool pistol but an ideal CC weapon it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the concept for a carry gun. Plus it is just weird enough If someone was to manage to take it away from you in a fight, most wouldn’t know how to operate it to use it against you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
given all the new single stacks out there in the last few years, not sure I would really consider a P7 as my first CCW choice these days...

only issue I've had with the P7 grip safety.  On the firing line, I relaxed my grip but kept my finger on the trigger, I then decided to resume my grip to depress the safety and I accidentally fired a round downrange before my sights were fully on target.

What happened, well as I gripped my lower three fingers, the trigger finger also moved in a sympathetic response.   Not sure if its everyone, but if I hold my hand in the air and flex my lower three fingers, often my trigger finger also moves inward at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 2, a civi that is spotless with the box and tools and a nice police trade in that I shoot from time to time and I've carried it.  

They are a tad heavy and with a short length they ride a little funny ITWB.  

The squeeze cocker itself to me is of no notice.  But as others have said, I would prob pick something else.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We have a member on the site who had a 1911 grip safety problem because he was shot through the hand. I would assume the same or worse would have happened with a P7. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either.
View Quote

P7 is a totally different "safety" -- which is why it is called a squeeze cocker. It takes ~12 pounds to cock using the grip, and then ~1 pound to hold it in place. If you can't close the grip, you aren't going to be able to hold and fire the gun anyway.

It isn't like the 1911 where you have to hold it a certain way, or where a high grip, with a large hand, and thumb high riding the thumb safety can keep you from deactivating the grip safety. (This happens to me -- I need the extended beavertail to protect my hand, but I end up pushing up, instead of in, on the grip safety.)

I carried one for years and taught lots of small women and Japanese to shoot with one, and never heard any complaints about the squeeze cocker being difficult to close.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

P7 is a totally different "safety" -- which is why it is called a squeeze cocker. It takes ~12 pounds to cock using the grip, and then ~1 pound to hold it in place. If you can't close the grip, you aren't going to be able to hold and fire the gun anyway.

It isn't like the 1911 where you have to hold it a certain way, or where a high grip, with a large hand, and thumb high riding the thumb safety can keep you from deactivating the grip safety. (This happens to me -- I need the extended beavertail to protect my hand, but I end up pushing up, instead of in, on the grip safety.)

I carried one for years and taught lots of small women and Japanese to shoot with one, and never heard any complaints about the squeeze cocker being difficult to close.
View Quote

I wouldn't say the cocker is difficult in any way, but it's "different" from any 1911, Glock, etc., therefore it's not as intuitive.  Well, maybe that's not correct either.  If one began with a P7, and stayed with it, then fine.  But jumping between the P7 and standard pistols requires an "adjustment" that apparently my hand didn't make without some concentration.  IDK. I was younger and perhaps I judged it too soon, but it wasn't a grab and shoot for me, so I let it go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Had a P7 PSP I just gave to my son in law since I figured it's time for someone else to enjoy it with the stipulation it must stay in our family, it must be to someone who really appreciates firearms and 2A rights. While I never used it for CCW, I did recently use it in a class. During speed reloads I would drop the mag and break it's fall with my foot, the instructor ask me are you going to do that in a gun fight? My reply was "Yeah if the mags cost @ 80.00 each I would" He laughed as he walk the rest of the line. I had no problem with releasing or engaging the squeeze cocker (think of it as a safety on a 1911) or with the european heel mag release, but as others have stated there are better pistoleros out there that are better suited for CCW. If you do decide to CCW it be sure to use a carbon scraper inside the bottom of the piston housing and never put oil on the piston. During that same class my P7 wouldn't lock open on the last round or trying to use the slide stop. Turns out I had a such a huge piece of carbon it looked like a piece of charcoal that left unattended, with all the heat and pressure I'm sure a diamond would have started to form.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a cool gun, but it has an uncomfortable trigger pull for me. I have large hands not sure if this contributes to my problem of my trigger finger pad not quite mating up to the trigger. To me as well, the trigger while quite excellent with a clean, crisp break, is a bit light for high stress shooting.

It's a gun you want to practice a lot with, almost exclusively. There's none of the mush you get with typical striker fired wonder nines. There's something to be said for a polymer frame that feels good in the hand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#23]
The downside of one is parts - $300 to $600 for a firing pin bushing now, which is a known wear item.  Too expensive to carry a gun that HK no longer supports in any way.  I've thought about doing so and even have a nice Don Hume for it, but I haven't done so and when I found out HK abandoned these fairly soon after production stopped in 2008 recently, not really having followed them for the fifteen years I've had mine, I've consigned it to a range-only firearm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The downside of one is parts - $300 to $600 for a firing pin bushing now, which is a known wear item.  Too expensive to carry a gun that HK no longer supports in any way.  I've thought about doing so and even have a nice Don Hume for it, but I haven't done so and when I found out HK abandoned these fairly soon after production stopped in 2008 recently, not really having followed them for the fifteen years I've had mine, I've consigned it to a range-only firearm.
View Quote

I just looked that part up. A guy could make one of those fairly easily if he had a lathe and a mill. I don't.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Weighs as much as a loaded g19 with half the capacity.

I had a P7M8 fail at the range and required me to remove grip panels to fix.

It's a gorgeous gun and feat of engineering - but there is a reason it's not a hit ticket ccw. Why carry an abandoned platform?

Get a p365 or g43x/g48 or g19 or mp2.0c .... with a dot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve handled and shot a few of the squeeze cockers over the years.  

Laughably stupid design and idea in general.  

Every aspect of those things is a marvel of dumb-fuckery.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Only downside I could possibly come up with for a P7 of any flavor is the heat generated by its delay system .......not really a CC issue however.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
It's all I ever carry.
Squeezing the grip sufficiently on draw is a muscle memory thing. I do a lot of practice drills and your post was a surprise to me because I just don't think about it anymore.
If you have can find a good low round count P7 and all you use it for, is CCW and practice drills, parts and service won't likely be an issue. Can't imagine a day when some respectable HK Armorer in the USA won't be able to service it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my P7 and carry it quite often. I have a leather De Santis A9 holster, I bought with the P7 in 1990ish. PERFECT combo. Was not a wear holsters are in issue to purchase.
OP I say get one again... Good luck
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top