Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2019 6:24:26 PM EDT
I usually EDC a G19 with SF 300U-a 1k lumens.

I am also going to start carrying a G43X when I need a smaller gun so I want to put a light on it.

Is the TLR-6 a decent light? I think it's only 100 lumens compared to the 1k lumens on the G19.

I guess it's better than nothing? Is it easy to operate in a hurry?

Are there other light choices for no rail guns?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the biggest fan of its switches, but it is indeed better than nothing.

EDIT: Viridian has a light out for the 43/43x/48, I think it's 140-150 lumens and roughly the same size. No personal experience though, just another option.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

EDIT: Viridian has a light out for the 43/43x/48, I think it's 140-150 lumens and roughly the same size. No personal experience though, just another option.
View Quote
Might be harder to find a holster for the Viridian. Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have considered it better to just train to use my edc light in my off hand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have considered it better to just train to use my edc light in my off hand.
View Quote
Good suggestion. I carry an light as well and it's much brighter than a tlr-6.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've cracked the housing on 2. The light still works but the zero won't hold zero which is fine imo.

It's a solid meh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience its better than nothing and good enough for what it is for. That being a tiny light on a tiny pistol that lives a fairly easy life.

It adds no appreciable weight or bulk for me on a 43 or 48 so I stick one on there. That they are cheap doesnt hurt.

They probably would fall apart like wet tissue paper in a duty or military application but I dont do that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback. If I get one it will be without the laser so not worried about zeroing. I'll have to check to see if the lights are the same on both.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I went with the TLR6. There may or may not be better lights, but the TLR6 seems to have overall superior holster support.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one that I bought for a Glock 26. My only real complaint are the switches.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
100 lumens is ok, I would love for a 200 lumen options or similar but maybe one day.

It’s effective at lighting up a dark room and would do good in relatively close quarters outdoor as well.  The light activation is easy and intuitive and easy to change batteries when it’s time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I would go for the TLR-7 over the -6.

Much brighter and better built.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would go for the TLR-7 over the -6.

Much brighter and better built.
View Quote
The 43X doesn't have a rail...at least not yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've cracked the housing on 2. The light still works but the zero won't hold zero which is fine imo.

It's a solid meh.
View Quote
How is Streamlight's warranty support?   I just put one on one of my S&W Shields.

I've also had Crimson Trace Laserguard Pros on another Shield and an XDS for about 3 years of EDC and shooting. They seem to be basically the same product, same quality except the Streamlight is much cheaper.  I've had no problems with either CT and the lasers have held zero
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Have one on my EDC Shield. No real complaints.
It's held zero and never had any issues, carried in hybrid holsters and bellyband.
Wouldn't mind it being brighter, but it's sufficient.
Switches are what they are, low profile. Anything more pronounced might get activated inadvertently unless you added bulk to the holster.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I had one and I liked it for OWB carry. Light and laser were better than nothing, and good enough for the non-war zones I mostly found myself in. It did add bulk when you try and IWB it though, as that's the part that tucks into your pants. I hated it enough that I only carried it OWB.

Won't put one back on when I pick up my next single stack for carry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
100 lumens is ok, I would love for a 200 lumen options or similar but maybe one day.

It’s effective at lighting up a dark room and would do good in relatively close quarters outdoor as well.  The light activation is easy and intuitive and easy to change batteries when it’s time.
View Quote
Yep.  I really like my TLR-6.

No, its not a X300u.  No shit lol.  But for what it is, it does fine.  You'll be able to get adequate light for any distances you might realistically use a subcompact.  No its probably not gonna blind the other guy.  Hope you're quick on the draw and have good shot placement.

One observation I've had with holsters is think of your pistol as a triangle missing one side.  Virtually every IWB holster has the belt clip (or 1 of the 2 if you are into double clip nastiness) in the space that would be where a line between the bottom of your grip and the end of your barrel would be.  ANY light forces that clip out by a good amount.  Bigger lights necessitate the clip being even further, and thus require bigger holsters.  For a small gun with a TLR6 it won't be huge but its noticeable less comfortable for me than when carrying the same gun in an older, non-lighted, but otherwise identical holster.

Of course, if youre used to a 19 w/X300, this prob doesnt mean a thing to you.  My x300 is on my 34 and its off body carried
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I appreciate all the good feedback. I've decided to forego the TLR6 and just use my edc flashlight as necessary. If I have to go out in the dark outside of our little town I'll carry the G19 with x300. Maybe I'll change my mind if a brighter model comes along.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How is Streamlight's warranty support?   I just put one on one of my S&W Shields.

I've also had Crimson Trace Laserguard Pros on another Shield and an XDS for about 3 years of EDC and shooting. They seem to be basically the same product, same quality except the Streamlight is much cheaper.  I've had no problems with either CT and the lasers have held zero
View Quote
I killed a TLR3, they had me send it off and in about 2 weeks had a new one in hand. It had died from probably 500 rounds of 12ga, a good portion being magnum loads, maybe 500 5.56, and 3k 9mm on a glock.

I've also mortally wounded a TLR4 (blew out the lens on a AR pistol next to a barrier), said they can't help that time. It was my stupidity anyway. $40 for the lens on their website. Fwiw, that light still worked, despite the full brunt of a 10.5" 5.56 blast, the lens just shattered. Laser held zero.

They were helpful both times, and they make tough stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a tlr6 on my shield 9. It's nearly 3 years old, has lived every summer submerged in sweat, survived probably 2k 9mm nato rounds, been bounced around in a toolbox on cross country flights, stuck out in the rain with me...

The battery cover is mildly rusty, and the brass adjusting screws are greenish. Laser is still zero'd. Change the battery with the clocks.

I find the button natural having trained with the tlr3.

It works. It's a champ.

No, it's not the brightest, but it's a light and aiming tool that I wouldn't normally have. So it's good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I've used a TLR6 on a Glock 26 for about a year. It rides in a Detroit pocket holster. It's a backup to my duty gun and I like it. I check it every day before work and its solid. Running, fighting and climbing fences hasn't hurt it and it gets plenty of rain, sweat and coffee spilled on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve had a tlr-6 on my shield for 1.5 years with no issues.  100lumens is def enough for close range.

I had a problem with a tlr-6 housing on a diff gun and they sent a new one, no issues.  For those if you with housing issues, send them an email..
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve had a tlr-6 on my shield for 1.5 years with no issues.  100lumens is def enough for close range.

I had a problem with a tlr-6 housing on a diff gun and they sent a new one, no issues.  For those if you with housing issues, send them an email..
View Quote
Same here, closer to 2 years.
Replaced the batteries for the first time last week.
Never needed any adjustment other than at install, still dead on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
You would be better served with a high output handheld than a TLR-6.

Regardless, if you do choose to purchase a TLR-6, you should still have a high output handheld.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You would be better served with a high output handheld than a TLR-6.

Regardless, if you do choose to purchase a TLR-6, you should still have a high output handheld.
View Quote
My recent edc light has been an Acebeam TK16.
1800lm, lots of throw, amazing amount of light for a single 123 sized light.

That doesn't mean i want both my hands occupied if i need a gun and a light for indoor duty.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My recent edc light has been an Acebeam TK16.
1800lm, lots of throw, amazing amount of light for a single 123 sized light.

That doesn't mean i want both my hands occupied if i need a gun and a light for indoor duty.
View Quote
Yea, that's wonderful.

Except here's the thing people tend to forget...

You can shine a flashlight in someone's face and identify if they are a threat or not, but you shouldn't draw your gun and point it at someone if you don't know if they are a threat or not.

Both are lights, but with different uses. You should have a hand held light regardless if you have a WML.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yea, that's wonderful.

Except here's the thing people tend to forget...

You can shine a flashlight in someone's face and identify if they are a threat or not, but you shouldn't draw your gun and point it at someone if you don't know if they are a threat or not.

Both are lights, but with different uses. You should have a hand held light regardless if you have a WML.
View Quote
No disagreement from me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top