Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2022 2:56:32 PM EDT
I picked up a used 6906 with one 12rd mag. Good condition, appears shot and carried a little but nothing excessive. Took it to the range today and could barely keep it on a 12” target at 15ft. Horribly inaccurate with a few failures to extract and slide lock after last round too. Ammo was what I had on hand, which was my 147gr plated reloads that run and paper well in dozens of my other handguns.

Admittedly the trigger is very different from what I’m use to (Glocks), but I couldn’t believe how poorly it papered. Are the 6906’s known for being ammo-picky?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No, these guns are not known to have issues. I am sure you can find reviews and figure that out. They are known to be accurate and reliable. The trigger is a little different with a longer pull so that could be a small part of the issue.

I have had a single-stack version of that for 10+ years and it’s excellent. Maybe there’s an issue with the one you have that needs to be addressed, or there is an issue with the ammo that doesn’t show up with the Other guns, but that sounds unlikely.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Stock Glock sights vs S&W 3 dots, the different trigger pull, and the different grip angle are the likely reasons for large groups.

Try a brand name commercially loaded round, and shoot from a sand bag rest.  

I find all of my 3rd Gen S&W pistols to highly accurate.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one but it was accurate enough for me but I was not as accurate with it as my Glock. The downside for me was the way it times-hammer/trigger reset,compared to a striker fired gun,which is a problem if you are used to shooting striker guns only. I wound up selling it not long ago as I could not get used to the trigger pull. It's a shame because I really liked it. I recently bought/traded into a nice Beretta 92 Inox that shot great but again I couldn't get used to the trigger pull and sold it as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. I’m going to give it more time and mix in other reloads and factory ammo. I’ve always been drawn to 1980’s steel/aluminum framed 9mms, I collect west german P226’s for example. So I really want this to work out, especially since I’d like to add a 5906 and 645 to my S&W collection.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
A worn recoil spring degrades accuracy in 59/6900 series pistols. . just something to look at.

Any time I score a used one I throw a Wolf spring kit in it before shooting it for this reason.

Also check and see if the chamber  is OK. A squib in a 3rd gen will not blow the barrel most times, but it will ring the chamber leading to shitty extraction.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A worn recoil spring degrades accuracy in 59/6900 series pistols. . just something to look at.

Any time I score a used one I throw a Wolf spring kit in it before shooting it for this reason.

Also check and see if the chamber  is OK. A squib in a 3rd gen will not blow the barrel most times, but it will ring the chamber leading to shitty extraction.
View Quote

Correct.
SOP with used Smith autos is to change the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The reset on my 3rd gen is phenomenal.  Rivals a 1911.  You have to get use to DA/SA.  YMMV
Works with 115 gr and 124 gr.  1 - 1.5" at 15 yards.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a new extractor, recoil spring and additional mag from Numrich that I’ll be installing and testing when time permits. May swap out the spurless hammer for a 5906 or 659 spurred hammer too once the other issues are addressed. Already hunting for a 645 (or 4506) and 5906 to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine does not like 115gr or 124gr. I still need to try some 147gr and see if it makes any difference. I was seeing groups twice the size I normally shoot with other pistols.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Something Smith did on the 3rd Gens is the front sight is intended to cover the target, if you aim pumpkin on a post you'll shoot low.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/608094-how-fix-3rd-gen-pistols-hitting-low.html

has commenters stating everything from bullet weight to replacing the barrel to installing a slightly lower front sight will solve complaints for hitting low. My 6906 hits low as well but I want to practice more. That DA trigger pull is new for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/608094-how-fix-3rd-gen-pistols-hitting-low.html

has commenters stating everything from bullet weight to replacing the barrel to installing a slightly lower front sight will solve complaints for hitting low. My 6906 hits low as well but I want to practice more. That DA trigger pull is new for me.
View Quote

My experience as well, all shots were low. I still haven’t made it back to the range yet (I have a 5906 to test out now too, as well as a 645 on the way…the S&W 2nd/3rd gen addiction has afflicted me quickly). I have two additional OEM 12rd mags plus a new recoil spring to hopefully resolve the malfunctions, and I’ll try different techniques to at least see how the gun groups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top