Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2020 9:01:13 PM EDT
I’ve wanted one of them for a while or are they just too stupid looking?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
They're the best J frame.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have one some day.  Actually the one I think I want is M49.

One day at the range, a newbie had one like this that he said he had just inherited.  I should have made him a cash offer but I thought that might be disrespectful.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the all steel model?  Maybe a little shiny.

Yes, it would have been disrespectful - you should have called me instead.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one. Been wanting one for awhile.

Imo, best of both worlds, no hammer snag but usable hammer.

Time on the range will tell - if I can get ammo!

I also bought a P365, about 8 days til “shall not be infringed” permission is granted, and 30 days before the 638 paperwork because of “shall not be infringed” limit. I’m thinking about Inauguration Day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File
  Picked this one up for a whopping $200 a few years ago. Use it as my backup barbeque gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
How much did you pay?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The 638 is probably one of the most ugly revolvers, but it's incredibly practical in its design.

Mine (in my avatar) wears a Tyler T and a Barami hip grip; the gun is its own holster.  Makes it fantastic to slip IWB or into a coat pocket for a quick run to the store/walk the dog/etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got both a 638 Airweight and a 449 (stainless) -- both are "humpback" J-frame revolvers. The 638 carries better, but recoil is STOUT*. The 649 is easier on the hand when you shoot it, but heavier in the pocket or on the ankle.

The humpback design is great. I don't know why anyone would choose a conventional exposed hammer for a "pocket" gun. I suppose you can make an argument for the completed enclosed models such as the 442, 642, 40, 640 since there's no possibility of junk getting into the hammer slot, but the ability to shoot single action outweighs that piece of mind for me.

Humpbacks are best J-frames.

* BTW, the absolute most-painful J-frame I own is the 940 -- an enclosed hammer, steel-frame 9mm. That thing is brutal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got both a 638 Airweight and a 449 (stainless) -- both are "humpback" J-frame revolvers. The 638 carries better, but recoil is STOUT*. The 649 is easier on the hand when you shoot it, but heavier in the pocket or on the ankle.

The humpback design is great. I don't know why anyone would choose a conventional exposed hammer for a "pocket" gun. I suppose you can make an argument for the completed enclosed models such as the 442, 642, 40, 640 since there's no possibility of junk getting into the hammer slot, but the ability to shoot single action outweighs that piece of mind for me.

* BTW, the absolute most-painful J-frame I own is the 940 -- an enclosed hammer, steel-frame 9mm. That thing is brutal.
View Quote
638 recoil is unusually stout.  But that 638 is so easy to carry.

That being said, I do also enjoy my K6S; enclosed hammer, great trigger, 6 rounds instead of five, and easier on recoil.  Granted it's a 3", but it's considerably easier on recoil (even with .357s) than the 638.

While 9mms are ballistically superior in the snub barrels, they do pack a pop; even in my Blackhawk convertible, the 9mm packs a surprising pop out of a hefty 5".
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I've pocket carried a lock era 638 for years. Not exciting or cool, but it has served a lot of long hours when I worked overnight retail or made long road trips.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Truth!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth!

No, their not.
I do not understand why anyone would think SA capability is useful or needed on a pocket revolver. Action is gonna fill up with shit ,staging a double action trigger is a thing.
Stop liking what I don’t like!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, their not.
I do not understand why anyone would think SA capability is useful or needed on a pocket revolver. Action is gonna fill up with shit ,staging a double action trigger is a thing.
View Quote

They're

Options are good. Maybe if you cleaned/examined (much less shot) your pocket gun once in a while, it wouldn't fill up with shit . . . do you really carry shit in the same pocket as your gun? . . . and why are you carrying shit anyway?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, their not.
View Quote

I carried either a 649 or 638 daily for over 10 years and never had an issue with the action “filling up with shit”.  I carried in my back pocket carry in a Kramer pocket holster or in the pocket of my coat in the winter.  The pocket the gun was in, never had anything else in it, just the revolver in it’s holster.

All I ever had in the hammer channel was a little evidence of lint when looked at with a flashlight, nothing at all that could possibly cause a malfunction.  Not sure what all gets in your pockets that could deadline one of these revolvers.  Routine visual inspection and simple cleaning, like a q-tip down the hammer channel, is all it takes.  

Anybody that carries should be cognizant enough to understand weapon maintenance is a thing, as well as not carrying their gun in a pocket filled with a bunch of other “shit”

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Lint is shit,I never have to dig around the action of my 442 with a Q tip.
You wanna carry a pocket revolver with useless single action capability go ahead but the 638 offers no advantage for pocket carry only disadvantage.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I carried either a 649 or 638 daily for over 10 years and never had an issue with the action “filling up with shit”.  I carried in my back pocket carry in a Kramer pocket holster or in the pocket of my coat in the winter.  The pocket the gun was in, never had anything else in it, just the revolver in it’s holster.

All I ever had in the hammer channel was a little evidence of lint when looked at with a flashlight, nothing at all that could possibly cause a malfunction.  Not sure what all gets in your pockets that could deadline one of these revolvers.  Routine visual inspection and simple cleaning, like a q-tip down the hammer channel, is all it takes.  

Anybody that carries should be cognizant enough to understand weapon maintenance is a thing, as well as not carrying their gun in a pocket filled with a bunch of other “shit”

View Quote

I bought my first J frame in 1991 a model 60,I shot the hell out of that gun and came to the realization that SA was not needed with these small guns and the centennials were the best of breed with these lightweight pocket revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I slipped a 638 in my pocket going out the door for a job interview in 2000...... And have carried it (everyday except 3) for 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a nickel Model 38 back in the 90s. Carried it religiously, especially after my state adopted a carry permit law.  Eventually replaced it with a Glock 43, but still pulled it out of the safe occasionally.

Then one day, noticed a crack in the frame where the barrel screws into it, not an uncommon occurrence in Airweight J-frames.  S&W replaced my old friend with a 638.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lint is shit,I never have to dig around the action of my 442 with a Q tip.
You wanna carry a pocket revolver with useless single action capability go ahead but the 638 offers no advantage for pocket carry only disadvantage.
View Quote
I think I've had to clean that channel out one time in the 12 years my 638 has been CCW'd.  

I will admit that it's had to go back to S&W once, because a chamber was beginning to develop a longitudinal crack within the first box of shells.  An obvious warranty issue.  But still worth remembering that these tiny lightweights that function at the edge of metallurgical capability need a hair bit more looking into than a 686.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I love J frames but prefer the 640...

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't know why anyone would choose a conventional exposed hammer for a "pocket" gun.
View Quote

I can give one good reason: it's a MF to find a variety of holsters for the humpbacks.

If it's a snap holster, the strap goes behind the trigger guard as there's nothing on top for it to hang onto (hammer). Yes, this can be overcome with different holsters but those aren't as common nor as varied as traditional models, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can make some pretty accurate shots with my SA J-frames. I can also make some pretty accurate shots staging my DAO J-frames but those are a bit harder to do, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/bwtMd6l.jpg
View Quote
True. My $325 Police Trade 640 .357 with $25 GunShow Altamonts

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#24]
love the humpbacks
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can give one good reason: it's a MF to find a variety of holsters for the humpbacks.

If it's a snap holster, the strap goes behind the trigger guard as there's nothing on top for it to hang onto (hammer). Yes, this can be overcome with different holsters but those aren't as common nor as varied as traditional models, IMO.
View Quote

Fortunately, through the miracle of capitalism, the free market accommodates a wide range of product needs and preferences. When selecting a holster, I tend to choose one that fits a specific firearm and I've discovered quite a few holsters that work with a humpback just fine. As a matter of fact, my preference is generally for no retention strap at all, in which case, the humpback isn't an issue. Anyway, choices are good . . .

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll have one some day.  Actually the one I think I want is M49.

One day at the range, a newbie had one like this that he said he had just inherited.  I should have made him a cash offer but I thought that might be disrespectful.

https://www.edbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/SW-M49-38-1.jpg
View Quote

I've got the 649. It's my favorite j-frame. I'm wanting the one with the grip safety. I think it's the 42?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
638 recoil is unusually stout.  But that 638 is so easy to carry.

That being said, I do also enjoy my K6S; enclosed hammer, great trigger, 6 rounds instead of five, and easier on recoil.  Granted it's a 3", but it's considerably easier on recoil (even with .357s) than the 638.

While 9mms are ballistically superior in the snub barrels, they do pack a pop; even in my Blackhawk convertible, the 9mm packs a surprising pop out of a hefty 5".
View Quote

I think my next revolver is going to be the K6 snubbie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#28]
That was the one snub I actually wanted back in the day (and now I have a 340). I don't know that I've ever seen one in person, though. Have they been discontinued or are they just made in tiny numbers?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Have a 649 and a 638. Just polished my 638 to a stainless finish last night.  Sending in the cylinder to be cut for moon clips after the holidays.

I like the 638 and it gets much more time than the heavier 649. Usually if I'm carrying something in the 25 oz range I'll choose a higher capacity semi auto. My 649 carries barnes tac 125 and barnes tx 140. I clocked the 125s at over 1250 fps out of my 649!

Having the need for a sub 20oz cc the 638 fits nicely, mine weighs 17oz loaded with large ct 350g grip. I can load it with rounds from bb that reach low 357 ballistics, pop a big fat crimson trace 350 lg grip on it, and easily stash a couple 5 round moon clips in my pocket, and feel ok in my normal daily routine. Which entails a lot of bending so 10oz makes a big difference.

I love the humpbacks and sold an m&p 340 for one. The ability to have SA is important to me.

And, for those who say lint is an issue.... It isn't. I carried it so long with no maintenance that my sweat pitted the aluminum on the handle and back strap. It always goes bang when I pull the trigger. This was my beater work gun I don't care what happens to it until I recently realized there are no better options for ME .... So now I'm making it a nice carry piece that is a bit more able.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#30]
The ability to shoot single action is a good thing, as I have gotten great accuracy with the humpbacks in SA and even DA.
The trigger is a little narrow for me, and I may try a trigger shoe sometime.  I don't think they've made a variant with a pinned in front sight, that can be replaced like some of the enclosed hammer ones.
There are plenty of open top holsters that work for them, with and w/o retention screws.  There are a few behind the trigger retention holsters from Bianchi and High Noon as well.
Some of the conventional snap holsters will work too.  Pocket holsters like the Kramer, Galco PH158 ? and others work well.
As long as you aren't shooting +P, these can be ok to shoot for fun at the range, and that's where I would mostly use the SA feature.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  I've got both a 638 Airweight and a 449 (stainless) -- both are "humpback" J-frame revolvers. The 638 carries better, but recoil is STOUT*. The 649 is easier on the hand when you shoot it, but heavier in the pocket or on the ankle.

View Quote

I went w/ the SP 101 in 9x19mm, b/c Bud's didn't have a 940 in stock, and FW_wife had given me a gift card to Bud's for our anniversary.  Recoil sucked til I put Hogues on.  Now it's my winter jacket pocket gun.  It would suck if I have to shoot it from the pocket - I like that jacket.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]
A 638 in a Mika's pocket holster is what I carry most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

what grip is that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ugly guns need love too.  Unless it's a Taurus....then it's bad.  Very, very bad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

what grip is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what grip is that?

That' grip is an "Altamont Combat Grey/Black G10 Fish Scale with Laser Logo"

I went to their website to include the link for you but they're currently out of  stock.

Altamont is pretty responsive... if you're interested, shoot them an email and ask when they'll be back in stock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#36]
While I would take a vintage M638 in a heartbeat and carry the snot out of it... We went the M642 route (sans bastard lock) for the wifey... After a Wolff spring kit (rebound spring and hammer-strut springs) and some India stone polishing to a bright hone on the rebound slide and other high drag contact points (again, no metal was removed only polished) the trigger went from a gritty horrible 9lbs down to 5.5lbs but feels more like 4lbs so my wife can easily pull the trigger. Touches off all ammo tried every-time.

It's rather easy to stage even before trigger/spring job but super easy now well-over 90% of the time... It's a beautiful piece of kit worn in a camel colored vintage Bianchi holster in her purse and/or at 4:30 comfortably on her feminine/shapely hips. She loves it and has persuaded her girlfriends to get this very model. Of course I am nominated for the trigger jobs but it's only a 20 minute deal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a couple of Model 38s.  I think a 638 would be a good carry piece.

Regards
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I’ve had my 638 for 20 years. It still end up in the carry rotation. It’s very accurate and I have fired so many rounds through it, I have high confidence in it. It looks like shut from being carried so much, which just adds to the character. It’s like an old friend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Well worth the search. You’ll love a 638. Took me a few months to find my 438. I’ll never part with it

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I most often carry a 638.  I guess they do look a bit silly but you get over it.  Snag-free pocket carry with the option of single-action let off?  WIN.

I have had to use my single-action let off and thank God I had it!  Needed a head shot on a wounded animal at some distance but the 638 did the job clean and humanely.  I could not have done that with double-action only and I like to pocket carry.

Get it.

If you are patient, watch Gunbroker.com and find a model 638, 638-1, or 638-2.  These don't have the idiotic lock hole on the side and may have better factory triggers.  Mine sure seem to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought the steel version can't remember the model. I wanted a lightweight but am past the point in my life where I want that recoil.

Quoted:

View Quote

You realize the 640 is a J frame right?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought the steel version can't remember the model. I wanted a lightweight but am past the point in my life where I want that recoil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but thanks for checking...I meant that I prefer the 640 over the 638.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#43]
bodyguard
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m looking for one right now to pop up at Academy since I have a bunch of gift cards
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Humpbacks are ugly as sin, but they sure do disappear in a pocket.

Landed a beautiful 39 a few years ago, no drag line or anything in that rich blue… it only has had a few days of carry as it isn’t +P rated and I’d hate to put wear on the blue.

I really should find one of the modern ones to beat up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#46]
No but not my bag either. I like the centennials over humpback. With that, I too want another J-frame and have been Jonesing for a M640 engraved version for all the wrong reasons. I think it has just enough engraving to not put it over the top but also sets it apart. Hows that for conflict, a concealed carry firearm as a show piece. I think it would make a nice, understated but elegant BBQ gun when I un-ass this place for sunnier parts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, did you ever get the 638?

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I’m not the OP but I picked one up yesterday. My only complaint so far is the internal lock. Being one of the people who has actually experienced a S&W internal lock failure that locked up the gun during firing I will not carry a S&W with the IL. So, I ordered the lock delete kit for it last night.

It is a neat little gun. I’ve owned S&W revolvers for almost 30 years but I have never had a Bodyguard. I’m not sure how useful the single action feature is because the exposed nub is really small and not super easy to cock. Still, it could be useful in some situation. The DA pull is actually pretty smooth for a new production J-frame, better than either of my fairly recent production 442-1s.

I’m looking forward to getting it to the range. Once the lock is gone I’ll start carrying it from time to time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not the OP but I picked one up yesterday. My only complaint so far is the internal lock. Being one of the people who has actually experienced a S&W internal lock failure that locked up the gun during firing I will not carry a S&W with the IL. So, I ordered the lock delete kit for it last night.

It is a neat little gun. I've owned S&W revolvers for almost 30 years but I have never had a Bodyguard. I'm not sure how useful the single action feature is because the exposed nub is really small and not super easy to cock. Still, it could be useful in some situation. The DA pull is actually pretty smooth for a new production J-frame, better than either of my fairly recent production 442-1s.

I'm looking forward to getting it to the range. Once the lock is gone I'll start carrying it from time to time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14564/680A0C53-91C3-47D4-AD45-384C886F74C9_jpe-1952667.JPG
View Quote
As someone else with an old 638, I would love to hear more about your lockup experience, and any difficulty or ease in swapping out the IL on this model.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As someone else with an old 638, I would love to hear more about your lockup experience, and any difficulty or ease in swapping out the IL on this model.
View Quote

I was shooting a demo gun at a sanctioned IDPA match around 10 years ago. It was one of the “Classic” line, a 5.5” (IIRC) M1917 in .45 ACP. The ammunition was regular 230 grain ball. I fired 5 rounds and when I tried to fire the sixth the hammer and trigger wouldn’t move just as if I had engaged the lock with a key. The guy running the booth took the gun back and unlocked it with a key. Then I fired the 6th round and another full moon-clip without issue.

Removing the IL is fairly straightforward, putting in the plug seems to be also. Once it comes I will find out for sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top