Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/8/2022 6:09:33 AM EDT
I have found a .40 caliber USP, NIB, that is for sale and while I really wanted a 9mm...is the .40 still a viable caliber these days.  The last .40 I owned was a Sig 229 and sold it over 6 years ago.  I am so out of the .40 market these days I am not sure if the ammo is available at a reasonable price/quantity.

Any info will be appreciated

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammo is available nothing is “cheap” anymore but it’s not terrible.

The USP is a really cool gun, and my favorite .40 cal probably. It was designed around it, great shooter.

But ultimately if it’s not what you prefer I’d say wait until you find a 9mm
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The USPc in 40 was the first handgun I purchased when I was old enough to buy one. I don’t shoot it that much anymore because I moved to 9mm. It’s a great shooter and I refuse to sell it. If the price is right…why not? 40 was still readily available in my area when everything was sold out during the Covid nonsense.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Buddy of mine has one, and it's an excellent gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The USPc in 40 was the first handgun I purchased when I was old enough to buy one. I don’t shoot it that much anymore because I moved to 9mm. It’s a great shooter and I refuse to sell it. If the price is right…why not? 40 was still readily available in my area when everything was sold out during the Covid nonsense.

https://i.imgur.com/RiBtZvy_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

Yep. Here in MI too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
My .40C is my carry gun. I shoot it well. The easiest double tap I've tried. USP was designed as a .40S&W and adapter to 9mm. I reload reduced power plinking/practice loads was my old hands don't tolerate a steady diet of full recoil.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I think so, absolutely.  First, you should have at least one .40 S&W pistol. Second, that pistol should be either be a USP/USPc or barring those, a Sig P229. Both were designed as .40 pistols and consequently handle the recoil better than those designed as 9mm first.  While .40 has indeed taken a back seat to 9, it is still a very viable round. .45 requires a larger frame and .357sig is rare and very expensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Good price?
USP 9/40 was built around the 40.

I have no issues with a 40 USP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You’ll always wish it was the 9mm you wanted. I’d vote wait for the 9
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with .40.

From a prepper standpoint, ammo availability is a benefit and .40 still outperforms 9 when ball or unbonded is all that's left.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you covert a 40c to 9mm?  I seem to recall one of the models was convertible.  I forget which.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can you covert a 40c to 9mm?  I seem to recall one of the models was convertible.  I forget which.
View Quote

40c can be converted to 357sig with a barrel swap.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.   I own a 9c and shot a 40c.  I thought the 40c was a great shooter.  My friend got one used.  I use to see them come in to LGS as police used a few years ago.  I meant to get one, but I don't see them anymore.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top