Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2018 7:23:59 PM EDT
...or are the Millenium Pro Gen 2s an awful lot like Glocks inside?  I’m a Glock certified armorer, and there are some really, really similar parts.  Similar enough that I wonder if the Boys from Brazil licensed some Glock patents...
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think by now the patent protection on those parts has expired.

ETA: From Wiki:

"a patent provides, from a legal standpoint, the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention for the term of the patent, which is usually 20 years from the filing date.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe, but while a lot of folks are going with hinged/safety triggers, The G2s have essentially copied a lot more than just a couple of features.  I don’t doubt that I could tear these pistols down completely, and not have much difference in the assemblies and parts of a Glock.  Which is to say a lot more similarity than I would expect Glock would put up with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would think by now the patent protection on those parts has expired.

ETA: From Wiki:

"a patent provides, from a legal standpoint, the right to exclude others from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the patented invention for the term of the patent, which is usually 20 years from the filing date.
View Quote
Smith & Wesson was a tad bit early when they produced the Sigma!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree. And they may have worked out a license with Glock but I doubt it.

I think at this point all Glock would have in there arsenal to fight them would be copyright law and of course any enforceable patents.

I know Glock worked hard to prevent Airgun copies of Glock models but recently licensed to Umarex I think.

This made me look into Taurus and S&W.

I never realized that at one time they were sister companies being both owned (in part) by Bangor Punta.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Smith & Wesson was a tad bit early when they produced the Sigma!
View Quote
Well, at the time I think patent protections were 17 years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree. And they may have worked out a license with Glock but I doubt it.

I think at this point all Glock would have in there arsenal to fight them would be copyright law and of course any enforceable patents.

I know Glock worked hard to prevent Airgun copies of Glock models but recently licensed to Umarex I think.

This made me look into Taurus and S&W.

I never realized that at one time they were sister companies being both owned (in part) by Bangor Punta.
View Quote
Taurus’ revolvers are pretty obviously S&W clones, even today.  I understood that Smith helped set up part of the Taurus manufacturing capacity in Brazil - which may be mistaken, but it made sense when I heard it.

I’m not sure how Taurus managed to make a Beretta 92 clone though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m not sure how Taurus managed to make a Beretta 92 clone though.
View Quote
I believe the story is they built a plant there to fulfill a contract for the Brazilian army. As soon as the plant was built Brazil nationalized it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, at the time I think patent protections were 17 years.
View Quote
It was not anywhere close to 17 years either!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was not anywhere close to 17 years either!
View Quote
I think the glock patent was filed in late 1982.

The Sigma came out in 1994. So yes you are right, it was only about 12 years.

That would explain why Glock sued for patent infringement and reached a settlement with Smith and Wesson.

Wiki: "The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock".
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe the story is they built a plant there to fulfill a contract for the Brazilian army. As soon as the plant was built Brazil nationalized it.
View Quote
I'd buy that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
They are nothing like a Glock IMHO.  Now a Walther PPS and the new SAR9 both have cruciforms with trigger housing springs and connectors.  They are definitely cloned from Glocks idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top