Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2020 1:07:52 PM EDT
I have a 3-caliber kit that I purchased some time back and have never managed to shoot it accurately, until recently.  I've found that the factory irons shoot at least 4 inches low.  If I place the rear sight blade half-way down the front sight blade, it's on target.  This is universal on all barrels.  So, I assume that my rear sight is simply not high enough.  My slide is marked US Made, but all sights are dove-tailed.  I've gotten conflicting information as to whether a replacement sight would fit this pistol.  So, now I'm here to ask for help.

Does anyone have any experience with upgraded or replaced iron sights (I have no interest in optics, don't bother), and do you have any suggestions.  Trijicon says theirs will not fit US models.  Is this nonsense?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I had trijicons on an Israel made .50 about 22-23 years ago and they shot low. I ended up going back to the factory sights. There is unfortunately not a good option for adjustable rear sights for the DE.

My newest DE shoots pretty much dead on with Hornady ammo. I haven't tried anything else because it was the only brand available when I bought the gun.

The only solutions I have for you are either file down the front sight until the POI/POA fits your needs, or try different ammo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I am curious if you have "tall" front sites or short...  There seems to be two different heights.  I recently bought a couple of 429DE Barrels with these tall sites.  I removed them and replaced them the "normal" height which were in all my other barrels.

This is a slight mystery.  I can't find the thread where this is mentioned just now, but I will try to later.

Like this...

Be back later...

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:48:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rincoln] [#4]
All great suggestions.  I was hoping I could get a rear that was closer, rather than adjusting 3 front sights.

I am curious if you have "tall" front sites or short...  There seems to be two different heights.  I recently bought a couple of 429DE Barrels with these tall sites.  I removed them and replaced them the "normal" height which were in all my other barrels.

MrBlackCat
View Quote

My front sights are definitely the taller ones.  I believe this is my problem.

Edit: That's a crazy difference in height for what should be the same pistol.  Do people limp-wrist it and hit high often enough for them to adjust your point-of-aim down?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you can see the issue...
It might be tall enough for an adjustable rear site though.

This is a picture of a Williams Firesight I have on a Desert Eagle slide.  Because of the increased thickness, the front site is a fair bit higher than my "short" sights.  The "tall" sight like came with the 429DE barrel might be close enough to work.

MrBlackCat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top