Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2018 9:34:56 AM EDT
Due to a ham fisted "gunsmith" I need to source a replacement sear/cocking piece for my stainless Interarms PPK. I found a replacement but it's carbon steel and was told that only carbon steel was used for the cocking piece in these guns. This came as a surprise to me because the piece in the gun appears to be stainless and doesn't react to bluing solution. Any experts out there know for sure?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Call Walther
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Walther
View Quote
Thank you for your contribution.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Once installed, can you see it?  If hidden, why would it matter?

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjTnqSLtbfaAhWQyVMKHWG_ATgQFgg1MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waltherarms.com%2Fcustomer-support%2F&usg=AOvVaw0UoT3m6VG3FrTkbVIQy5Xd]Customer Support - Walther Arms[/url]www.waltherarms.com/customer-support/479-242-8500
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Once installed, can you see it?  If hidden, why would it matter?
View Quote
Simply for originality? While I dont see this as a collector piece, should I ever go to sell it I would rather it be correct. Maybe no one will care but I'd prefer to keep it as it's supposed to be.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
That is what I suspected, not a collector piece.  You are being much too anal about a simple tool.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is what I suspected, not a collector piece.  You are being much too anal about a simple tool.
View Quote
You're being much too anal about posting in a thread that you don't have any relevant input on. While it doesn't really matter to me as long as the gun functions, it might matter to a future owner. I don't understand why that is so difficult to comprehend.

This is my first Walther and I admittedly don't know much about these guns. This is why I would ask a question in a sub that would presumably contain Walther enthusiasts. I don't know if this is something that is common knowledge, which would be the reason for asking a question on a forum of enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
For the straight story and possible replacement part, talk to Earl's.
He's the North American Walther rep, and may know what the Interarms American made PP series stainless guns used.
I never tested mine with cold blue but I want to say it was stainless, but I'm just not sure.

Earl's Walther
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For the straight story and possible replacement part, talk to Earl's.
He's the North American Walther rep, and may know what the Interarms American made PP series stainless guns used.
I never tested mine with cold blue but I want to say it was stainless, but I'm just not sure.

Earl's Walther
View Quote
Unfortunately that is where I got the info from. When I stated that the new replacement part was noticeably different than the original part I didn't receive the same level of service (which was great) as when I ordered the part.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
You're sort of screwed on this.
It's possible that Ranger changed from or to stainless at some point, and since Interarms, and Ranger are long gone, I don't know who you'd contact.

The only option I can think of is if you're an NRA member you can send a S.A.S.E. to the American Rifleman magazine Dope Bag and ask ONE question of the Rifleman Tech Staff.

Possibly they'd know what the sears were made from, or they may know who to ask.
All it would cost you is an envelop and two stamps.

A final option if nothing else would be to send the sear out to someone like APW-Cogan and have it hard chrome plated.
This would look enough like stainless to pass for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a stainless Interarms PPK and had an issue similar to yours. S&W told me my decocker was the issue.
When I would pull the trigger, the trigger would have like 2 stages. As I was pulling the trigger, a 1/4 way through the trigger would click and I could stop the pull. If I followed through with the pull, the gun would then fire.
They couldn't repair the slide, so they just swapped out the slide for me.
Now I have a stainless Interarms PPK with a stainless Interarms PPK/s slide. Works without issue now.
S&W went the extra mile by replacing the slide.
I don't carry it anymore, but at least it's not a paperweight
I had emailed Earl's, who said he only had parts for the German made Walthers, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He's the North American Walther rep,
View Quote
Umm...

No he isn't.  Earl is an independent importer who deals with distributors in Germany, not with Walther itself.

That said there are few who know more about Walther pistols than Earl, though his focus is primarily on older models and the ones he imports himself.

You might try contacting M&M Gunsmithing.   The owner used to work for Interarms and he is an accomplished Walther P series gunsmith.

M&M Gunsmithing
2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green AL 35750
571-276-7676 8:00am-4:00pm CST
www.mmgunsmith.com

No financial interest here, just passing on info about a reputable gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I went by the front page of Earl's site.
It says he's a "Factory direct Walther rep in the USA".

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I know he says that, but in fact he is not.

Try to get one of the current Walthers that are imported by the factory's official US branch, Walther Arms Inc. in Ft. Smith, Arkansas serviced there.  Not happening.

Still like I said, he is the man for older Walther stuff that isn't covered by the official Walther lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know he says that, but in fact he is not.

Try to get one of the current Walthers that are imported by the factory's official US branch, Walther Arms Inc. in Ft. Smith, Arkansas serviced there.  Not happening.

Still like I said, he is the man for older Walther stuff that isn't covered by the official Walther lifetime warranty.
View Quote
This ^
In August 2016 I contacted Earl via email regarding purchasing a stainless Interarms PPK slide. This was his response:
'Sorry, but we only sell / service 100% German Walther Modell products. Stainless is American made.'
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I always get a chuckle out of his "100% German" statement.

All post war PP, and PPK pistols were made by Manurhin in France up till the mid 1980s.  Walther just did heat treating, bluing and final assembly on the ones with their roll marks on the slide.  Most collectors consider the Manurhin assembled and branded pistols to have better finishes than the German made guns, though the pre-war Zella-Mehlis made Walthers  probably are the best of the lot.

Still as I said, Earl is the man if you need older Walther parts, and you need them now.  I have purchased from him and he has a wealth of knowledge on these pistols, and generally has, or can get, the hard to find parts for older models.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the tip on M&M, I'll have to get a hold of them.

I actually got the carbon steel sear/cocking piece from Earl just so I could have a functional gun. It is up and running great now, but I'd still like to have the original part. When I first received it I contacted Earl and asked if it was stainless, he became very dismissive. He attributed that to having some personal stuff going on, which I understand and can relate to, but it didn't help me out with info at all. All he said was that he had purchased much of the remaining Interarms inventory after they closed and that this was the correct part. He never responded when I asked him if Interarms did use stainless (which I'm fairly certain they did based on my rudimentary tests). He got my gun back to functioning, but as mentioned by others, I think his interests lie with the older guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, no offense, but it's possible you are being a little picky.  Even if you sell it realistically no one's going to care if the part is a different color.

Have you considered putting out WTB or WTT ads on various forums?  Someone might be willing to swap that part with you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Several comments here about the OP being too "anal" or "picky".

Its not the commentator's gun or place to judge how the OP feels about / treats / repairs his gun.  It is the OP's choice.  He came here asking for technical help, not criticism.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, no offense, but it's possible you are being a little picky.  Even if you sell it realistically no one's going to care if the part is a different color
View Quote
I'm glad you can speak for every prospective buyer.  However, my experience is vastly different from your statement.  Older guns, in particular, generate a lot of discerning investigation during the selling process.  He's not talking about a Glock.  He's talking about an out-of-production gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm glad you can speak for every prospective buyer.  However, my experience is vastly different from your statement.  Older guns, in particular, generate a lot of discerning investigation during the selling process.  He's not talking about a Glock.  He's talking about an out-of-production gun.
View Quote
I was just trying to make the OP feel better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one too, I consider it a piece of shit.

Decocks randomly. Parts are not interchangeable. It's a pretty gun, but it sucks.

Want to buy mine as a spare?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]
It's because the PPK comes from a time when handguns were assembled by craftsmen, who took pride in making fine firearms, and not generic injection molded throw away guns.

The 1911 falls into this category as well.

Your malfunctioning PPK wouldn't happen to have a set of Pachmayr grips on it would it?   if so that is the first thing to get rid of when diagnosing hammer follow/dropping on decock issues.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's because the PPK comes from a time when handguns were assembled by craftsmen, who took pride in making fine firearms, and not generic injection molded throw away guns.

SOME 1911 fall into this category as well.

Your malfunctioning PPK wouldn't happen to have a set of Pachmayr grips on it would it?   if so that is the first thing to get rid of when diagnosing hammer follow/dropping on decock issues.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Here ya go. Might be more than you want to spend. Stainless parts
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Not to hijack, but on the subject of Earl I contacted him one time in regards to a part I needed and he came across as kind of a jerk.  Swore off ordering from him.  I know you bought a warehouse, but that doesn't make you God.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not to hijack, but on the subject of Earl I contacted him one time in regards to a part I needed and he came across as kind of a jerk.  Swore off ordering from him.  I know you bought a warehouse, but that doesn't make you God.
View Quote
I can not like this post enough. He might be the only person who still has some of this stuff but still that does not make him a god.

Also have you tried just contacting fort smith?

479-242-8500 Ext 7
[email protected]

Even if it's not warranty, they'll probably still take a look at it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 for m&m gunsmithing.  This thread started back in April.  What was the final outcome op?  My stainless Interarms ppk is currently at m&m to be refitted with an Interarms slide.  Had hammer follow issues and sent it to walther for repair.  Big mistake.  They did what was mentioned earlier in the thread and replaced my whole slide with a s&w slide so now its mismatched.  I could've been ok with that, but they didn't fit my rear sight properly and just pressed it in there crooked.  Also replaced my firing pin and loaded chamber indicator with blued parts.  And destroyed the original slide.  And on top of that the slide wasn't fitted properly.  Now I have issues with failure to return to battery.  Long story short, walther fixed the hammer follow issue by refitting it with a new cocking piece, but created new problems.  So I sent it to m&m to Fix Walther's mistakes.  Conclusion walther usa of Arkansas are lazy and incompetent.  My personal experience anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top