Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2021 1:49:19 PM EDT
I know you have to add the 11 coil .40 spring to the G17 mags when adding the factory plus 2 extension.  

When adding the plus 2 to the G19 mags, should the G17 spring be added to the G19 mags when doing so?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely yes
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely yes
View Quote

Thanks, that's what I figured
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never heard of this... and I have attended the Factory Armorer course a number of times.

I have seen more +2 magazines in use as a professional Firearms Instructor/Range master over a 30 year career than I can count.

I see no harm in using the longer springs... I also see no necessity in using them (unless the magazines have seen heavy use, a spring change is not needed)

# Do you have a source to link that Glock recommends the longer springs with the +2?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never heard of this... and I have attended the Factory Armorer course a number of times.

I have seen more +2 magazines in use as a professional Firearms Instructor/Range master over a 30 year career than I can count.

I see no harm in using the longer springs... I also see no necessity in using them (unless the magazines have seen heavy use, a spring change is not needed)

# Do you have a source to link that Glock recommends the longer springs with the +2?
View Quote

I believe it was on Glocks website under the magazine springs on the team glock store.  This is from Big Tex Outdoors and I don't know who wrote it:

"GLOCK Magazine Spring; 9mm, 10mm, .357, .40, .45 Auto (10-coil)

G17, G18, G34: all 17-rd mags, incl. pre-ban, LE-marked & current unmarked (std 10-coil spring)

G20: for all 15-rd mags, incl. pre-ban, LE-marked, and current unmarked

G21: use only in pre-ban, older LE-marked mags with 3955 follower & 10-rd mags

G22 through G35: pre-ban mags & older LE-marked mags (do not use with Tac-Lights)

We recommend this spring as an extra power mag spring for 15 round, 9mm mags and 13 round .40 and .357 magazines that are using the GLOCK +2."

With that being said my G19 +2's with 10 coil springs are extremely hard to get the 17th round in, 16 is good to go, 17 really tight if I can get it in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I would rather just get the 17 magazine,with the cost of the +2 and the spring you could just pay $5-10 more and get a factory Glock mag.
I understand some people don’t like the way the mag sticks out but that doesn’t bother me anymore.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
YES
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

in 30 years, you've never seen the need? That seems hard to believe considering my much more limited experience? I installed brand new factory +2 exts on 8 factory G17 mags. All of the mags were relatively new/low round count mags that functioned perfectly before adding the new bases. With the new bases installed using the original factory G17 springs, they all had random feeding issues. Installed XP springs and they all returned to 100% reliable.

So personally I don't really care what Glock may or may not say about it. IME... if you are going to installed extended base plates, install extended mags springs too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would rather just get the 17 magazine,with the cost of the +2 and the spring you could just pay $5-10 more and get a factory Glock mag.
I understand some people don’t like the way the mag sticks out but that doesn’t bother me anymore.
View Quote

This is the better option.  I still don’t completely trust a Glock +2 extension.  I have a couple pop off or crack when dropped or hit just right.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know you have to add the 11 coil .40 spring to the G17 mags when adding the factory plus 2 extension.  

When adding the plus 2 to the G19 mags, should the G17 spring be added to the G19 mags when doing so?

Thanks!
View Quote
if your extension doesn’t come w one already, yes

The 17 rd mag offers the same and is built properly tho.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just added a glock OEM +2 extension to a new gen 5 15 round mag.  Kept the stock spring in it.  It fed fine, but failed to lock back 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

in 30 years, you've never seen the need? That seems hard to believe considering my much more limited experience? I installed brand new factory +2 exts on 8 factory G17 mags. All of the mags were relatively new/low round count mags that functioned perfectly before adding the new bases. With the new bases installed using the original factory G17 springs, they all had random feeding issues. Installed XP springs and they all returned to 100% reliable.

So personally I don't really care what Glock may or may not say about it. IME... if you are going to installed extended base plates, install extended mags springs too.
View Quote

100% THIS......
My 30 years with Glocks and I absolutely agree.extend the follower travel...get the longer spring.. .COMMON SENSE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top