Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2018 12:05:03 PM EDT
Hive, my eyes are getting bad with age and handgun sights are getting blurry.  Thinking of going with a RMR type 2.  I need some input on what you all would recommend.  Larger or smaller MOA?   For those of you with aging eyes that have gone with a RMR, how do you like it?  Thanks.

Who has the best prices?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 3.25 and 6.5 manual adjust RMR's. Most people prefer the 3.25 but personally i like the 6.5 better. With the smaller dot for me personally i feel like it magnifies my natural swaying a lot more which is a little distracting. I liken it to the sensation of zooming in too close with a rifle scope if that makes sense?

But again that's just me. I don't find the larger dot a hindrance at longer distances and frankly the 6.5 is essentially as large as most front dots on iron sights out there these days.

If you know someone who has both or a store where can try them, I'd absolutely recommend it. It's really a personal thing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the same boat a couple months ago.  I posted and the overwhelming response was the 3. 25.  The rationale was was that you can always turn the little dot brighter and make it appear bigger but not the other way around.

I went with the type 2 RMRo6 which is the smaller dot.  I am eased with it.  That being said it does take awhilebto get used to it.  I'm about 5-600 rou ds in and still getting a feeling for it.

Just my 02.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I've looked at both size MOA's in a store.  Was trying to visualize what would work best in real life settings, was hard to do without doing any shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in the same boat a couple months ago.  I posted and the overwhelming response was the 3. 25.  The rationale was was that you can always turn the little dot brighter and make it appear bigger but not the other way around.

I went with the type 2 RMRo6 which is the smaller dot.  I am eased with it.  That being said it does take awhilebto get used to it.  I'm about 5-600 rou ds in and still getting a feeling for it.

Just my 02.
View Quote
Thanks man.  Hadn't thought about turning up the power to make the dot a bit larger.  Just had cataract surgery and had my bad astigmatism cleaned up so the dot actually looks like a dot now and not a large funky star shaped object.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Leupold DPP with the 7moa triangle. I am still wringing it out but I am using the apex of the triangle for longer ranges and the broad base for quick shots at shorter range.

I am 50, and I appreciate the big "dot" especially on a handgun that is arms length away from my eyes. The downside is that the larger the m.o.a., the more of the target it will obscure at longer ranges, making it harder to make consistent, repeatable shots.

If you have astigmatism the "dot" will likely look distorted. If so, it is YOU, not the device. turning down the brightness to the lowest possible setting that still allows me to pick it up in my sight picture helps me a lot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Leupold DPP with the 7moa triangle. I am still wringing it out but I am using the apex of the triangle for longer ranges and the broad base for quick shots at shorter range.

I am 50, and I appreciate the big "dot" especially on a handgun that is arms length away from my eyes. The downside is that the larger the m.o.a., the more of the target it will obscure at longer ranges, making it harder to make consistent, repeatable shots.

If you have astigmatism the "dot" will likely look distorted. If so, it is YOU, not the device. turning down the brightness to the lowest possible setting that still allows me to pick it up in my sight picture helps me a lot.
View Quote
Appreciate the input.  Just had cataract surgery and had my bad astigmatism fixed.  A red dot finally looks like a dot and not a large distorted star shaped object.  Got a monofocus lens so the target is super clear, but the sights are fuzzy.  Good enough for easy center mass shots.  Not good for aiming at a smaller target...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been under a rock, what is a RMR?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the 6.5 for action shooting. I would suggest the instant on version if it is a carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The battery operated RMRs are supposed to be really tough/durable/reliable.  You have to remove them once a year to replace the battery so you'll need to hit the range and re-zero it after replacing the battery.  Don't over torque the screws when reinstalling it.  You don't want to strip out the screw or the threads in the slide.

The DP Pro is not supposed to be as tough/durable as the RMR.  The battery does install from the top, so no need to remove the sight or re-zero it when you do replace the battery.

That new Holosun 507C (think that's the right number) is supposed to be tougher than the DP Pro.  But not RMR tough.

I have two of the dual illuminated RMRs (no battery), the dot is powered by ambient light when there's enough, tritium when there's not enough ambient light.  There are some issues with those depending on lighting conditions.  If you are in a dim area and the target is in a well lighted area the dot can be damn difficult to see against the target.  I lose the green one completely, the amber one is dim (for me) but still visible.

We also have two DP Pros.  One on a CZ75 Compact and one on an AR15 pistol.  Last time the batteries lasted a year before I replaced them.  Reminds me, it's time for them to be replaced again.  No issues with either one, so far.  I put the DP Pro rear sight on the back of the DP Pro so my wife has back up sights, too.

I'm seriously considering one of those 507C's as a trial.  Same "foot print" as the RMR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I've looked at both size MOA's in a store.  Was trying to visualize what would work best in real life settings, was hard to do without doing any shooting.
View Quote
@jazzfan

I have several 6.5 dots and one 3.25

I don't think that you can go wrong with either one in actual real world shooting conditions. I think there is validity to turning up the brightness on the 3.25, but I don't feel like these issues are significant enough affect actual performance. Decisions like this are so subjective, but I can say that no matter which dot you chose, it will be way better than trying to use iron sights with aging vision.

The 3.25 will probably be better for longer shots, but it is not absolutely necessary because even the 6.5 dot is still smaller than the front sight at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been under a rock, what is a RMR?
View Quote
Ruggedized Miniature Red Dot

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Not that I think you should get the DI model but the 7moa would be similar size wise to the 6.5. I'm not sure I have a pic of one of my 3.25

7moa
Attachment Attached File

3.25moa
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not that I think you should get the DI model but the 7moa would be similar size wise to the 6.5. I'm not sure I have a pic of one of my 3.25

7moa
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/t4xt1l_jpg-771947.JPG

3.25moa
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0570_JPG-771949.JPG
View Quote
Thanks man!  Very helpful.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
No prob.

Fwiw I would go 3.25.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone find someone that can make a iwb holster to fit a carry gun with a RMR?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone find someone that can make a iwb holster to fit a carry gun with a RMR?
View Quote
https://www.phlsterholsters.com/

https://llod.us/

https://knightfallcustoms.com/

http://store.hbcconcealment.com/
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone make an optic with an etched reticle or dot that has the same footprint as an RMR?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to your local gun store I am sure they have one or the other mounted up and try them see what you like.  I like the smaller dots but I have 20/10 vision and can see very well.  So what I like may not be what works for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I went for the 3.5, I like the size of the dot. But I got the RM01 which auto adjust to ambient light. I should have gone the RM06.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Again I ask, what is RMR?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Again I ask, what is RMR?
View Quote
Dude, seriously
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
RMR’s are worth every penny. Much easier to shoot with and less fatigue on the eyes. As you draw the gun up, look for the front sight, and the dot will be right there. I picked up this mount from Suarez International, and unlike milling the slide, is completely reversible if you don’t like it.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top