Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2018 2:30:19 PM EDT
Hello all,
Inherited a Colt 1911A1 from a distant relative. The gun is in very good condition with only light scratches here and there and some minor carbon build up on the feed ramp and mag follower.

I searched the serial number in the tool on Colts website and the date of manufacture is 1943. What is this thing worth approximately? If it's a $200-500 gun I'll likely replace all the internals and turn it into a shooter. If it's worth something more it'll go into a display case and look pretty until I pass it down.

Thanks for any replies.

JSR
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A 1943 USGI Colt in that kind of condition is probably a $1500 gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a US&S 1911A1 its worth over $6k+ (sold 2012) depending on condition
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Who is the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics of markings?

I have nothing to add but love 1911's and learn a lot from these threads.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is the manufacturer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Who is the manufacturer?
Quoted:
C'mon, fellas.  Really?

Quoted:

Inherited a Colt 1911A1 from a distant relative.
Quoted:

I searched the serial number in the tool on Colts website and the date of manufacture is 1943.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
A Colt USGI issued 1911A1 in nice shape?  Start at 1500 and work your way up from there.  I've seen very minty examples at gun shows recently with an asking price in the 2800 to 3200 dollar price range.  Which I think is high.

No, don't use that one as a project gun.    If you really want to customize a 1911,  sell that USGI gun and use the money to build a new 1911 just the way you want it instead.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
C'mon, fellas.  Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is the manufacturer?
Quoted:
C'mon, fellas.  Really?

Quoted:

Inherited a Colt 1911A1 from a distant relative.
Quoted:

I searched the serial number in the tool on Colts website and the date of manufacture is 1943.
Ain't nobody got time for reading AND comprehending!

Also, oops.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Serial number is 6 digits (truncated): 9XXXXX

Is stamped "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" and "M1911A1 U.S. ARMY" on one side.

It is a Colt made in Hartford, CT in 1943.

It is in as good if not better shape than this one:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/colt-pistols---1911-pre-45/colt-1911a1-u-s--army--1943.cfm?gun_id=100748560
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it all original? Does the slide match? Pics would help.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to have some GOOD pics posted before ANYONE can give you any estimate on value.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree clear pics with all clear markings are critical- bear in mind an all original non rebuilt with matching slide ( if I recall correctly this is in the serial range where the serial number would also appear on the slide under the slide stop) with good finish could be worth 2k.
On the other hand a mismatched gun, arsenal  rebuilt but otherwise all GI would be between 1100-1500
Finally a gun refinished outside of military service, with for example a replaced barrel and say replaced sights is a 500-600 gun
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll try to figure this pic thing out. Haven't posted one since photobucket went tits up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll try to figure this pic thing out. Haven't posted one since photobucket went tits up.
View Quote
imgur.com is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you want email me pics and I’ll post them

Shoot me an IM
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLTqVs9J3iE2AryRfP2lfvroSUxRJ0J0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13mzBsDHEsf5pslXucX5IeNJCwnEm9w6O/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RCFSwtYyt2nxhLc8dcwwj5JOdXrVETI_/view?usp=drivesdk
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hello all,
Inherited a Colt 1911A1 from a distant relative. The gun is in very good condition with only light scratches here and there and some minor carbon build up on the feed ramp and mag follower.

I searched the serial number in the tool on Colts website and the date of manufacture is 1943. What is this thing worth approximately? If it's a $200-500 gun I'll likely replace all the internals and turn it into a shooter. If it's worth something more it'll go into a display case and look pretty until I pass it down.

Thanks for any replies.

JSR
View Quote
Ya, $200-$500 sounds about right, where would you like me to send my $200 check

Dude, seriously, you scored big time!  Don't sell, don't change any parts and store that thing in a manner that won't allow it to rust away!  Very nice peice, you're a lucky dude
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow!

I wouldn't sell that unless I found myself very hard up, and I'd probably sell some other shit first.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#18]
If it’s all original and correct, you’ll want to hang onto it and keep it “as-is,” because they aren’t getting any easier to find as time marches on.

I’d avoid turning one of these guns in any condition into shooters, because they just weren’t made to withstand the kind of heavy, sustained use that modern pistols can take.

Just from what I’ve seen here, it sounds like you got a good one, and it’ll be a great heirloom to pass on one day.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
That is awesome! Don't change anything on it and for damn sure don't sell it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey OP check out what the CMP is selling their returns for and wait until the first group is sold out. Then put yours up for sale $ 1000 more.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Hard to tell with the photos, but it looks like it has a WWI slide stop in it, lord knows if it was replaced at a depot level thing or changed after the war. Not saying this is a bad thing, just it's not "original".

Pop the firing pin stop off the rear of the slide and look - Colts up until roughly 1,2xxx,xxx had the serial number of the frame stamped into the slide under the firing pin stop. Does the number there match the serial number of the frame?

I would not start swapping parts out or use it as a shooter. Would you use a good condition 1940's car as a daily driver? Not unless it was %100 garbage from the start and you planned on driving it to the crusher in a couple years; that gun is not garbage. Get some shots of the bore of the pistol, and other markings on it; there's a lot of little things to check on it. All WWII US ammo was corrosive except for .30 Carbine; if the gun was shot a lot and not particularly maintained well, the bore might be a sewer pipe. The barrel also might have been replaced...checking the barrel for markings (is it marked C in a box/P on the other side? Marked F and P on the other side? etc), that will also help.

Even if the slide doesn't match the frame, I wouldn't use it as a shooter. It might have been rebuilt at an arsenal after the war and that's how it came out; who knows?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Field strip, clean, oil and put some rounds downrange.  It is a warhorse and meant to be shot.  Take good care of it and it will take good care of you.  If it has sentimental value, I wouldn't use it as a daily carry piece.  Outside of that, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
All good info. Thanks guys. I'm still waiting on an appraisal from Guns International. Can anyone tell me about the Schwartz safety? Supposedly the presence of this can add  another 50% into the value...?

Will also remove the firing pin retainer and check for a matching slide serial number. I was wondering where they put it...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS RIGHT HERE!!!
Please for the love of God don't change anything on it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok so I removed the firing pin retainer and there were no markings or serial number stamped underneath. I've looked everywhere on the slide and cannot find anything to match it to the frame although the level of wear and finish on both is identical. Is there anywhere else on the slide the serial number could be?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt stopped marking the slides with a serial number around the 1.2 million number, give or take. If your slide is a Colt slide, and it doesn't have a number stamped in the area that would be under the firing pin stop, then the slide was replaced. It was either re-arsenaled (the frame would generally but not always show this) or someone just grabbed a surplus slide and threw it on a surplus frame.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Serial number is 6 digits (truncated): 9XXXXX
Is stamped "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" and "M1911A1 U.S. ARMY" on one side.
It is a Colt made in Hartford, CT in 1943.
It is in as good if not better shape than this one:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/colt-pistols---1911-pre-45/colt-1911a1-u-s--army--1943.cfm?gun_id=100748560
View Quote
Sounds like you've got an awesome candidate for what's known as a 'Def/Comp' conversion!

That's a hybrid 'Defense' (as in CCW or home defense) and 'Competition' (as in IDPA) conversion. Def/Comp, get it?

First, knock out the crappy G.I. sights which no one over 30yrs old can see anyway. Dovetail the front for a hi-vis sight like all the Rob Leathams of the Free World use. Ditto on the rear sight too.  Install a high-end adjustable Bo-Mar style rear sight.

Next, you need to ditch the floppy-sloppy G.I. recoil set-up for a Dwyer Group Gripper. Then watch your groups tighten up faster than the anal cavity of a pedophile-priest in prison.

Then, do like my buddy did to his Gramp's old G.I. beater and drill the underside of the frame for an aftermarket rail. That way, you can run a 200 lumens Streamlight on it, ... just like all those highly tactical YouTuber studs do.  It's the perfect set-up for dealing with whatever might go 'BUMP' in the night around your house.

Finally, get rid of the Old School parkerizing and send it off somewhere to be hard chromed, or maybe even to Robar for their NP3 metal treatment.

When you've finally got that old dog upgraded to full Def/Comp status, ... well, you can thank me later.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Agree clear pics with all clear markings are critical- bear in mind an all original non rebuilt with matching slide ( if I recall correctly this is in the serial range where the serial number would also appear on the slide under the slide stop) with good finish could be worth 2k.
On the other hand a mismatched gun, arsenal  rebuilt but otherwise all GI would be between 1100-1500
Finally a gun refinished outside of military service, with for example a replaced barrel and say replaced sights is a 500-600 gun
View Quote
Go to postimage.org and set up a new account, Its quick, easy, and fairly straight forward to use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sounds like you've got an awesome candidate for what's known as a 'Def/Comp' conversion!

That's a hybrid 'Defense' (as in CCW or home defense) and 'Competition' (as in IDPA) conversion. Def/Comp, get it?

First, knock out the crappy G.I. sights which no one over 30yrs old can see anyway. Dovetail the front for a hi-vis sight like all the Rob Leathams of the Free World use. Ditto on the rear sight too.  Install a high-end adjustable Bo-Mar style rear sight.

Next, you need to ditch the floppy-sloppy G.I. recoil set-up for a Dwyer Group Gripper. Then watch your groups tighten up faster than the anal cavity of a pedophile-priest in prison.

Then, do like my buddy did to his Gramp's old G.I. beater and drill the underside of the frame for an aftermarket rail. That way, you can run a 200 lumens Streamlight on it, ... just like all those highly tactical YouTuber studs do.  It's the perfect set-up for dealing with whatever might go 'BUMP' in the night around your house.

Finally, get rid of the Old School parkerizing and send it off somewhere to be hard chromed, or maybe even to Robar for their NP3 metal treatment.

When you've finally got that old dog upgraded to full Def/Comp status, ... well, you can thank me later.

View Quote
Knock out the sights? Have it chromed? DRILL IT FOR A RAIL!?

You make me sick.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You make me sick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make me sick.
Wait.... You mean I shouldn't have done all that to it!!??

Kidding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You make me sick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make me sick.

Tacticalization requires many 'upgrades,' dude!

Yeah, I posted that to be tongue-in-cheek.

O.P., you have a great old school 1911 there. Don't do a thing to it. Treat it like an heirloom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top