Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2017 2:17:32 AM EDT
Hey guys so I've been looking at getting some cheap 38 Special revolvers for the ladies in my life. My mom, sister, and girlfriend. But I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm thinking of sticking around $300 bucks or so for each gun. Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W Model 10, S&W 642, and S&W Model 64. Of course then again I could pick up three brand new Taurus 85 revolvers for $200 each which is the cheapest route. But the quality seems to be lacking compared to the Smith's... What do you guys think? Smith's worth the extra cash, or are the Taurus's are good enough?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
https://charterfirearms.com

Go to Charter Arms. They have a solid product in a variety of colors (if yer wimmenz want that). They have regular snubs, hammerless Undercover variants and they are as close to a S&W as they are far from a Rossi. MRP +/-$350. Street price around $300-325. I retired a late 50s pinned and recessed Airweight in favor of the new Charter Arms nitrided "Tiger Stripe" model. They have fairly decent aftermarket support as well.
Mine has an excellent single action trigger and the double action isn't bad either. I have shot about 300 rounds out of mine with no problems. I put a clipdraw pocket clip on mine and it is a real gem to drop into a pocket or inside the waistband for the quick trip to the Kwiktrip. The current production are fine guns for the money.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Have both 85 and various smiths in my life.   Once you take off a side plate, you can see the difference.  I know the 85 goes bang, but don’t practice with it much.   The smiths are abused.

642 from your list if smaller size is important.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Recent models of Charter's have had timing issues.
I've been lucky with my Bulldog and the U/C Lite but YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
S&W has a $50 rebate on revolvers through the end of this year.

Here's one option.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/SandW-442-Performance-Center-with-moon-clips-339/33-179797/&page=1&anc=2014761#i2014761
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with a 4" round butt heavy barrel  SW M65 police trade in if it doesn't have the lock... second choice would be a similar M10... the 642/442 after they are experienced shooters
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw a deal somewhere that you can get S&W 642 for around $275 after the $50 rebate S&W has going on. I will try to look for the place I saw them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Do not buy them a J frame.  They're a bitch to shoot and they won't like them.  K frames are a nice compromise but you will have to up your budget.  The beat to hell trade in guns are running mid 300's when they show up.  With shipping and transfer you're close to $400.  Cheapest Model Ten I've seen locally was $375 for a pretty clean one.  Model 64's are running $425.  And they're not nearly as common as they once were.  Used Ruger Security Six or GP100 is a possibility but again, you're closer to $400.

I collect Model Tens and their relatives.  The days of cheap Smiths is over and has been for several years.

The older Charters are nice guns (the Bridgeport and Stratford guns), but are J frame sized with all those disadvantages.  The new guns can be hit or miss, in fairness Charter seems good about fixing any problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some trade in 66s for 350 I think.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do people think buying a revolver for women is a good idea?  Unless the women is an experienced shooter and is specifically desiring a revolver there are much better choices for almost any application.

A Model 10/64 (assuming 4 inch barrel) and a 642/442 are also dramatically different revolvers.  The weight and barrel length of the Model 10/64 makes is much much easy and pleasant to shoot than the 642/442 that has a much shorter sight radius and less than half the weight of the 10/64.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do people think buying a revolver for women is a good idea?  Unless the women is an experienced shooter and is specifically desiring a revolver there are much better choices for almost any application.

A Model 10/64 (assuming 4 inch barrel) and a 642/442 are also dramatically different revolvers.  The weight and barrel length of the Model 10/64 makes is much much easy and pleasant to shoot than the 642/442 that has a much shorter sight radius and less than half the weight of the 10/64.
View Quote
Because a 12 oz model 351c in her purse is a better option for self defense than a 36 oz model 64 in the safe at home no matter how unpleasant the recoil is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Take them to a range, rent some guns and let them decide.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought some trade in 66s for 350 I think.
View Quote
Where and when?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because a 12 oz model 351c in her purse is a better option for self defense than a 36 oz model 64 in the safe at home no matter how unpleasant the recoil is.
View Quote
While an alloy J-Frame in the purse is better than a larger gun left home, I will disagree with the premise. I have taught several women to shoot and can say that most women are completely different than men. With most women, if they don't like something (like shooting alloy J-Frames), they just won't do it. Most can't (or won't) make themselves see that a small gun that they will carry is MUCH better than a larger gun they will leave home, even is they will readily admit that the larger gun is too large to carry. They (mostly) don't like shooting something like an alloy J-Frame because it hurts, so they won't carry one, either. Most women I know also don't like it when someone makes decisions for them instead of letting them make their own decisions, and that will play into it as well, making them resent it and not want anything to do with it. Just keep in mind, most women operate on feels, while most men can at least understand logic when they hear it. Not slamming women, that's just the way most women operate.

The best bet for getting a gun for the woman in your life is to take her to a large, well-stocked gun shop (bonus points if they have a range and you can shoot rental guns) and let her handle many different types of guns to see what she likes, instead of getting her what you think she will like.

I'll even give two examples right off the top of my head. The first is my wife. The first time she held and shot my Glock 26 many years ago, she fell in love. Surprised the crap out of me. I had trying to get her to get something a little larger and easier to shoot, something along the size of a G19, but she wouldn't have it. Even though she doesn't want to carry, she loved the G26. She admitted that she shot the slightly larger guns better (but not really by much), but she just liked the G26 more. She wanted the G26, so she got the G26 and I got to buy another gun to replace it. A few years ago, I took my uncle to buy a gun and my wife went along. While there, she fell in love with a Ruger SR9c. Not the full size gun, the compact gun. She bought it and loves it even more than the G26, but there have been some reliability problems, so she still has the G26 till we get the SR9c straightened out. For some reason, despite the fact that she acknowledges that larger guns are easier to shoot, she only likes sub-compact guns. She shoots them reasonably well, so who am I to argue?

The second is my mother. A few years ago, she wanted to get her CCW because my father's health was declining and she was going more places by herself. Took her to the gun store, the gun counter dweeb talked her into a Ruger LCP with a LaserMax laser, because the laser is cool and you don't have to aim! After she bought it, she found out that she couldn't work the slide because of the arthritis in her hands. She has more than enough strength to pull back the slide, she can't grip it tight enough to work it and it slips through her fingers. I took an assortment of my guns over and the gun she loved the most was my all stainless, S&W M649 snubbie. She has more than enough hand strength to work the DA trigger and she likes the simplicity and ease of use. She didn't see reloading as important so slow revolver reloads didn't worry her at all. To be honest, she is pretty good with the M649, even with +P defensive ammo, and most everyday shooting encounters involve less than 5 rds anyway. Again, surprised the crap out of me that she ended up with a snubbie revolver. Since she doesn't get many visitors and no small kids, she also ended up with my Ruger SP101 a couple years ago, so she has one for downstairs and one for upstairs.

Again, unless your women have already made up their minds that they like revolvers, the best advice is to take them to the gun store and let them make their own decision. You will be happier, they will be happier and they may actually go shooting.

Bub75
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Stick with a Smith or ruger.   My mom has an old charter that has a good track record.  I bought one a while back and the timing was an issue as the cylinder would lock up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where and when?
View Quote
I honestly forget.  Weird site.  @screechjet1
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Stick with S&W.  You can find Model 10's for under $250 used as police trade in.  My uncle got one for $169 and I picked up a Model 64 (Stainless version of Model 10) for $225.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While an alloy J-Frame in the purse is better than a larger gun left home, I will disagree with the premise. I have taught several women to shoot and can say that most women are completely different than men. With most women, if they don't like something (like shooting alloy J-Frames), they just won't do it. Most can't (or won't) make themselves see that a small gun that they will carry is MUCH better than a larger gun they will leave home, even is they will readily admit that the larger gun is too large to carry. They (mostly) don't like shooting something like an alloy J-Frame because it hurts, so they won't carry one, either. Most women I know also don't like it when someone makes decisions for them instead of letting them make their own decisions, and that will play into it as well, making them resent it and not want anything to do with it. Just keep in mind, most women operate on feels, while most men can at least understand logic when they hear it. Not slamming women, that's just the way most women operate.

The best bet for getting a gun for the woman in your life is to take her to a large, well-stocked gun shop (bonus points if they have a range and you can shoot rental guns) and let her handle many different types of guns to see what she likes, instead of getting her what you think she will like.

I'll even give two examples right off the top of my head. The first is my wife. The first time she held and shot my Glock 26 many years ago, she fell in love. Surprised the crap out of me. I had trying to get her to get something a little larger and easier to shoot, something along the size of a G19, but she wouldn't have it. Even though she doesn't want to carry, she loved the G26. She admitted that she shot the slightly larger guns better (but not really by much), but she just liked the G26 more. She wanted the G26, so she got the G26 and I got to buy another gun to replace it. A few years ago, I took my uncle to buy a gun and my wife went along. While there, she fell in love with a Ruger SR9c. Not the full size gun, the compact gun. She bought it and loves it even more than the G26, but there have been some reliability problems, so she still has the G26 till we get the SR9c straightened out. For some reason, despite the fact that she acknowledges that larger guns are easier to shoot, she only likes sub-compact guns. She shoots them reasonably well, so who am I to argue?

The second is my mother. A few years ago, she wanted to get her CCW because my father's health was declining and she was going more places by herself. Took her to the gun store, the gun counter dweeb talked her into a Ruger LCP with a LaserMax laser, because the laser is cool and you don't have to aim! After she bought it, she found out that she couldn't work the slide because of the arthritis in her hands. She has more than enough strength to pull back the slide, she can't grip it tight enough to work it and it slips through her fingers. I took an assortment of my guns over and the gun she loved the most was my all stainless, S&W M649 snubbie. She has more than enough hand strength to work the DA trigger and she likes the simplicity and ease of use. She didn't see reloading as important so slow revolver reloads didn't worry her at all. To be honest, she is pretty good with the M649, even with +P defensive ammo, and most everyday shooting encounters involve less than 5 rds anyway. Again, surprised the crap out of me that she ended up with a snubbie revolver. Since she doesn't get many visitors and no small kids, she also ended up with my Ruger SP101 a couple years ago, so she has one for downstairs and one for upstairs.

Again, unless your women have already made up their minds that they like revolvers, the best advice is to take them to the gun store and let them make their own decision. You will be happier, they will be happier and they may actually go shooting.

Bub75
View Quote
I've been through this a few times myself. Ex-wife, sister, current SO and her daughter. I do agree that a heavier, longer handgun is going to have less recoil for the same round, and the longer sight radius make for more accurate shots. But I'm sticking to my guns, literally, on the a lightweight in the purse in better than an easier to shoot gun in the safe part. That's why I've always just tried to provide options, and let them pick their own gun.

My ex picked out hers back in the late 80's. She wasn't very experienced with guns when I met her. She tried several before picking what she wanted. She ended up with a nickel model 37 with a bobbed hammer. The deciding factor for her was ease of carry. Not ease of shooting. She practiced most of the time with a 2" Security-Six. She carried the model 37 for the 20 years we were together. As far as I know she still does today almost 30 years later.

Same thing with my current SO. She won't carry a gun. That's her choice. She did decide though that if she was going to live in house with guns she would learn how to use one. She took a couple of classes, she didn't like me repeatedly telling her to keep her finger off the trigger so we let someone else do that, tried several of my guns, didn't like any of the revolvers, and finally ended up picking out her own Browning 1911-22. It wouldn't be my first choice for a self defense weapon, but it's the one she liked the feel of and could shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#20]
My Mom shoots her Smith Bodyguard pretty well, just really slow.  LOL.  I don't know what to say other than that a lot of people find revolvers intuitive and simple and don't like autoloaders. So it's either that or nothing.  My Mom has probably shot less in her life then I typically do in 1 range session but it's what works for her.

Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where and when?
View Quote
Centerfire Systems?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like the good old Smith's are winning. Yeah I saw some old police trade in Model 10's for around $300 bucks. Probably just grab a few of those then. I heard they used to be going for around $160, damn missed that boat!! Ha oh well... $300 isn't too bad a quality piece. But yeah I was surprised to see the 642's can be had for around $300 as well. Great gun to carry, but yeah it hurts to shoot after a while, ha
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Centerfire Systems?
View Quote
Model Ten $299, 64 $319.

Both out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
First let me address the J-Frame bashers. Just because a revolver is rated for 38 Spl +P, it does mean that you need to shoot +P. Regular 38 Spl or even better this 38 Spl Low Recoil Ammo  will do the job. That is what I use.

As to which revolver (yes J-frame). I recently purchased a Taurus 605 and a SW 642. The SW 642 is better than the 605 for concealment in that the hammer is embed in the frame. That said I had to install a “trigger kit” is the SW 642 to smooth-out the trigger pull - the 605 did not need a trigger modification. In fact, the SW 642 with the trigger job feels very much like the 605 factory trigger (in double action of course). Also, I placed a Pachmayr Diamond Pro Series grip on the SW 642 for better handling and to get the backstrap covered, but then I have very large hands. The 605 factory grip covers the back strap.

It is advisable to let a person pick their own weapon – go to a range that rents handguns and let the ladies decide for themselves. You will save yourself a lot of grief and money. This Forum is littered with tales of a guy buying a gun for his gal and she does not like it. I had a co-worker that bought a revolver for his wife and she did not have the hand strength to pull the trigger (at least the what she said/demonstrated – of course a woman would never fib ).
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
While I agree a S&W is the way to go and that the 6 shot k is easier to shoot there is a middle ground no one has yet mentioned- the all steel j frames with 3” barrels! Makes recoil and comfort much better full length ejection longer sight radius and usually found pretty affordable. My go to J is a steel 36 2” the extra weight is barely noticeable carrying but is a huge help when shooting
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First let me address the J-Frame bashers. Just because a revolver is rated for 38 Spl +P, it does mean that you need to shoot +P. Regular 38 Spl or even better this 38 Spl Low Recoil Ammo  will do the job. That is what I use.

As to which revolver (yes J-frame). I recently purchased a Taurus 605 and a SW 642. The SW 642 is better than the 605 for concealment in that the hammer is embed in the frame. That said I had to install a “trigger kit” is the SW 642 to smooth-out the trigger pull - the 605 did not need a trigger modification. In fact, the SW 642 with the trigger job feels very much like the 605 factory trigger (in double action of course). Also, I placed a Pachmayr Diamond Pro Series grip on the SW 642 for better handling and to get the backstrap covered, but then I have very large hands. The 605 factory grip covers the back strap.

It is advisable to let a person pick their own weapon – go to a range that rents handguns and let the ladies decide for themselves. You will save yourself a lot of grief and money. This Forum is littered with tales of a guy buying a gun for his gal and she does not like it. I had a co-worker that bought a revolver for his wife and she did not have the hand strength to pull the trigger (at least the what she said/demonstrated – of course a woman would never fib ).
View Quote
Yeah, my 442's trigger was 13# when I got it.  A ton of dry firing and a little lube has dropped it to a whopping, High 12's.  LOL.  I like the trigger, but it could be about 2-3 pounds lighter.   What's crazy is that bodyguard I posted a pic of, my Mom's gun, her trigger is about the best J frame trigger I've ever felt, other than the pro series 60's.  But it's about 10# and smooth.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Used Smiths all day every day. Avoid the Taurus and Charter options both suffer from hit and miss quality control. You can get a lot of used Model 10's and 64's in the $300 or less neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#29]
If you are going to go with a alloy framed S&W make sure you get a grip for each that allows them to put all their fingers on it. That will make a BIG difference in how the recoil affects them. Start with wadcutters and when they are comfortable shooting those you can upgrade to standard .38's. Quite frankly, 5 wadcutters center mass will take care of just about anyone they might meet up with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey guys so I've been looking at getting some cheap 38 Special revolvers for the ladies in my life. My mom, sister, and girlfriend. But I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm thinking of sticking around $300 bucks or so for each gun. Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W Model 10, S&W 642, and S&W Model 64. Of course then again I could pick up three brand new Taurus 85 revolvers for $200 each which is the cheapest route. But the quality seems to be lacking compared to the Smith's... What do you guys think? Smith's worth the extra cash, or are the Taurus's are good enough?
View Quote
I had two 85's.  First one had to go back because cylinder was out of time they sent me a whole new gun - with the same problem.  I sent it back and they fixed it.

I traded the fixed Taurus 85 for a Smith 642.  I had to send the 642 back because the cylinder started locking up while dry firing the day I brought it home from the shop.  I over nighted it to Smith and they had it back in 2 days.

At least that was better than the 2+ weeks Taurus took for each gun.

So the moral of the story?

Smith's service was faster.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a Model 10-7 Lon a great SOG sale-
http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson

And Centerfire
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do not buy them a J frame.  They're a bitch to shoot and they won't like them.  K frames are a nice compromise but you will have to up your budget.  The beat to hell trade in guns are running mid 300's when they show up.  With shipping and transfer you're close to $400.  Cheapest Model Ten I've seen locally was $375 for a pretty clean one.  Model 64's are running $425.  And they're not nearly as common as they once were.  Used Ruger Security Six or GP100 is a possibility but again, you're closer to $400.

I collect Model Tens and their relatives.  The days of cheap Smiths is over and has been for several years.

The older Charters are nice guns (the Bridgeport and Stratford guns), but are J frame sized with all those disadvantages.  The new guns can be hit or miss, in fairness Charter seems good about fixing any problems.
View Quote
I bought a NIB 2" 10-5 for $350 OTD earlier this year.

I thought I got a really good deal, but the Internet made me feel like that's pretty standard.

A lot of girls I know prefer my j frames, but I do prefer k.

A 32 s&w long converted to magnum is one of my favorite concealed pistols, and girls generally enjoy shooting it. It's a lot like a 38 special, but 6 shot instead of 5.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#34]
If you’re willing to go with the S&W 642/442 I vote for that! I think the rebates are still good for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#35]
If you are willing to up the budget to $350 or so, my vote would be a Ruger LCR/LCRx or an older S&W 10, 36, 60, or 64. Those options have superior triggers to a 642/442. However, the BEST strategy for arming the "ladies of your life" would be to have them try multiple guns (revolvers, semi-autos, different calibers, etc.) and have them find what works for them. Not everybody can shoot revolvers so well, especially snubbies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Curious how is the aemscor m200?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
A steel S&W J frame is very workable for the ladies, especially if it has a grip they can get all their fingers on. Start them with wadcutters and move up to standard .38 Special. If they do not like shooting the standard .38s then stick to wadcutters.

The police surplus 640-1's that Centerfire was selling earlier this year were perfect. The triggers on both of mine are about 10lb and smooooooooth.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Curious how is the aemscor m200?
View Quote
Fairly awful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a S&W 36-7, in very nice condition, on sale in my area for $400 (that I amsure can be talked down to $350) that I am very tempted to pick up just to have a classic J-frame. It's deep rich bluing, steel frame that soaks up recoil, and superior trigger are all more appealing than a 442/642...
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I paid $500 for this 36-7 a year and a half ago and have not regretted it at all.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fairly awful.
View Quote
Compared too?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
YES...and that being said.....I'd be inclined to think that the alloy revolvers will be a "handful and a half."

And a small J frame sized revolver takes more practice to get used to vs your larger heavier K frame.  But, that will have to be weighed against the real word of size and weight.  It does no good to leave it at home because it too heavy or too big.

Cost.....OK, I do own S&W revolvers. But, if I didn't have the money....I could do with a Rossi or a Charter Arms.  BTW, I gave away my Charter Arms and kept the Rossi because the internals were more like that of the S&W.  I figured that a gunsmith would probably be more familiar, if I wanted the action/works smoother.  Granted that Rossi parts are not easy to find vs a S&W.  But, usually the job is not about switching parts out.  Just a very careful/knowledgeable use of stones and files.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I gave the Charter Arms revolver to a GF.   Actually, I traded it off as an upgrade to her .25 ACP Raven.  I was thinking of a semi auto for her.  But, she had a hard time working the slide.

BTW, she also said that a revolver was "less scary."
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I ended up going with a S&W Model 10 and Model 64 and even found a cool little Model 36 with a 3 inch barrel. All three of the ladies enjoyed the larger K frames the best, little recoil, great triggers. But the 36 with 3 inch barrel is very shootable I have to say I liked this one a lot. I mean it's still very small and light, but that little extra weight and longer barrel length makes a huge difference. Way better shooting compared to my airweight snubby 642, which was much louder with more muzzle flash and kicks like a bitch. The ladies didn't even want to attempt the 642 after I shot it, ha. But they didn't mind shooting the 36 too much. Of course they still preferred the larger Model 10 and 64, larger guns, less recoil and noise. I'm thinking for a carry gun the 36 3" barrel is a great choice. While for home defense or target shooting the K frames are the clear winner.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Compared too?
View Quote
A 442 for about a hundred bucks more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Best to test the chicks   - er, ah, I mean female folk in your life  - first before finalizing your decision. See what/if they can handle recoil, as in real recoil.

Take a S&W model 13 (3" or 4"), load it up with a cylinder full of 125gn .357 mags, and have them shoot it at the range.

For any chicks, er, ah, I meant females, who haven't run away screaming, load up the cylinder again but this time with 158gn .38 Special cartridges.

Then see how they react to the difference in recoil.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I often add in a Ruger LCR in 38spl to my load out.   It has one huge advantage.   It can be fired from a pocket, such as a vest or coat pocket.   That makes it quicker than even my super fast LCPs and P3ATs.

I consider it... inexpensive, comparatively.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I thought I got a really good deal, but the Internet made me feel like that's pretty standard.

A 32 s&w long converted to magnum is one of my favorite concealed pistols, and girls generally enjoy shooting it. It's a lot like a 38 special, but 6 shot instead of 5.
View Quote
That would be at least $700 here
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that point, I would just go with a Kimber 357.   They are VERY smooth, with good sights, and a joy with 38s.    The only greater joy is if the gals offer up some 38s...
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll be the lone dog here as I have an 85 and love it.  I've got several hundred rounds through it, times perfectly, steel frame, not too snappy and well made.

love it
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!

I am not sure why OP is assuming a .38 special revolver would be good for each lady in his life. Maybe it is or maybe they each would prefer something different.

The whole; "a .38 or .380 is a perfect woman's gun" gun shop sales talk is just dumb.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top