Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2022 10:36:57 PM EDT
6" with some minor dings but didn't look to have been shot much, $480 out the door with a box of hollowpoints. I honestly don't know much about them other than I never see classic wheel guns for less than 5 bills anywhere.

I ordered some leather for it and a speed loader, and some more ammunition. Might see how I like it for a woods gun, but my mother dearly misses an old S&W 19 from before my divorce that she loved to shoot, so I may end up giving this to her.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
$480 with ammo?  Sounds like a good deal nowadays.  

I have two equal opportunity 4" Security Sixes.  One blue, one stainless.  Nice solid revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 6” Security Six in stainless steel.  It compares well to my 6” Model 66.

I also have a 4” Police Service Six I used to carry as a duty gun in the mid 1980s. It compares well to similar K frame fixed sight S&Ws.

I also have a 2 3/4” Security Six, as well as a Speed Six in .9mm and another Speed Six in .357 Magnum. They compare well to 2 1/2” and 3” K and L frame S&Ws.

All of them are well made and very durable.  Ruger beefed the design up to tolerate a steady diet of .357 Magnum rounds, avoiding the forcing cone erosion related cracks in the S&W K frames, and preceding the heavier L framed revolvers that addressed the same weakness.

The fire control parts are investment cast and are built heavier than normal, but they have proven to be very durable over the years.  The average Ruger trigger pull isn’t heavier than the average S&W trigger pull from the same era but it does feel a bit more mechanical.  That’s not all bad however as it’s easier to stage the Ruger trigger.

The Security/Service/Speed Six series are some of the best revolvers ever made and finding one in decent condition under $500 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 6” Security Six in stainless steel.  It compares well to my 6” Model 66.

I also have a 4” Police Service Six I used to carry as a duty gun in the mid 1980s. It compares well to similar K frame fixed sight S&Ws.

I also have a 2 3/4” Security Six, as well as a Speed Six in .9mm and another Speed Six in .357 Magnum. They compare well to 2 1/2” and 3” K and L frame S&Ws.

All of them are well made and very durable.  Ruger beefed the design up to tolerate a steady diet of .357 Magnum rounds, avoiding the forcing cone erosion related cracks in the S&W K frames, and preceding the heavier L framed revolvers that addressed the same weakness.

The fire control parts are investment cast and are built heavier than normal, but they have proven to be very durable over the years.  The average Ruger trigger pull isn’t heavier than the average S&W trigger pull from the same era but it does feel a bit more mechanical.  That’s not all bad however as it’s easier to stage the Ruger trigger.

The Security/Service/Speed Six series are some of the best revolvers ever made and finding one in decent condition under $500 is a good deal.
View Quote

I haven’t gotten out to shoot it yet but I have done some dry fire work and I noticed that staging the trigger seemed very easy and repeatable. You know exactly when and where it will break.

I bought some 125 grain semijacketed hollow points to run through it the way God intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top