Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 10:14:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeps-And-Guns]
I have the 50 and 44 barrels for mine (and a 10 inch 44 barrel). Mine is the early model with the two grooves on top of the barrel instead of the picatinny on all the newer ones.
I actually very much dislike the looks of the picatinny and greatly prefer the older two groove style. So since my other barrels are two groove, I want the 357 barrel to match.
That is proving very difficult. I can find the newer style, but the older two groove seems to be unobtainium . The bolts are not hard to find.

I have been wanting a 357 barrel ever since I got my S&W in 357 and I have dies, brass, and bullets for loading. It just seems harder to find the barrel than I thought. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? I have tried gunbroker, some other gun auction site I cant remember, and even ebay, with no luck. Been looking off and on for a couple years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I will explain why obtaining the barrel you seek is going to be an odds game...

This is the "one" that I have.  Some years back I decided I wanted to have US production and Israeli production barrels in all available calibers.  I picked them off one by one over the years, with daily searches of the internet in multiple places.  Long story short, I got down to just one last barrel I wanted for my collection, an Israeli made Mk XIX in .357 Magnum.  I search(ed) daily for these on eBay, GunBroker and some more state level sites.  I had relatives watching pawn shops and gun trading stores etc.  This was NOT a casual effort.

More than two years went by with only ONE of these barrels being found, and it was part of a factory Three Caliber set and was over $3K... I don't need more Desert Eagles or barrels, so I didn't buy that one.

I had some jobs go well, so I raised allocation of funds for this barrel to the level of a complete firearm, as I began to realize just how rare these were.  That is how I got the firearm above... the gun is like 20 years old and almost new when I got it.  This is what it took for me to find the second Israeli 357 Magnum barrel I have seen in a few years.

Why?  It is actually simple if you think of the history of production... At the end of the Mk VII era, 357 and 44 were selling at about equal quantities.  Then the Mk VII 50 came out... in a very short time the Mk VII Line was dropped and all calibers were made on the same slide as well as the barrels being cut from the same blank... the line became the Mk XIX.  The 50AE was dominating sales and the 357 became a very small percentage of sales rather than the previous one-half.  So there were only a fraction of Desert Eagles being made in 357 for Mk XIX, then on top of that, production moved to the US... and the multi-slot sudo-Picatinny rail barrels became the standard for all the barrels anyway.

So... MkXIX 357 least common... Israeli Desert Eagles less common, Early two slot Israeli barrels least common.  It is just odds.  Even my 10" Israeli 357 is two slots.  The slot count really didn't matter much to me so much as having examples of all calibers in US and Israeli made versions.  My 429DE's are also Israeli, but multi-slot.

I have not seen but two of this barrel which you seek in about five years of daily search... maybe tomorrow?  They exist, but they are no doubt very uncommon.  If I saw one without a gun, I would buy it just because of this.  I do not actively search for guns with this barrel right now, but I still have $700 allocated for a second barrel should I find it.

Some of the above is from conversations with Magnum Research employees, some is observation, and some is speculation... I do believe in the accuracy of the above as the logic and basis is verifiable historical timelines.

I hope you find one tomorrow... but probability suggests this to be a hard barrel to find.  Without a doubt, the hardest Mk XIX barrel to find.

With that said, if I find two, I will contact you.  :)

Knows your challenge,
MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:  Without a doubt, the hardest Mk XIX barrel to find.
View Quote

That is what I have discovered, hence the reason for this thread. Like said, I have been looking off and on lightly for a couple years. But I have not hunkered down really hard with the express determination to find one.
I have even entertained the thought of finding a complete gun, then sourcing a 44 or 50 bolt and barrel to put on it and then reselling the gun with the new barrel, keeping the 357 bolt/barrel for myself. The problem with that is the large amount of capital I would have to put up, and then tie up in the process until I could resell it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

I have even entertained the thought of finding a complete gun, then sourcing a 44 or 50 bolt and barrel to put on it and then reselling the gun with the new barrel, keeping the 357 bolt/barrel for myself. The problem with that is the large amount of capital I would have to put up, and then tie up in the process until I could resell it.
View Quote

That was also my intent, but then I found the new old stock Israeli Mk XIX 357 and didn't do the whole swap and sell thing.  :D

Desert Eagles aren't going down in value if something horrible were to happen and I actually had to sell a firearm.  (shivers)

But seriously, this is going to be really hard to find.  If I find two, I will let you know. :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrBlackCat:

That was also my intent, but then I found the new old stock Israeli Mk XIX 357 and didn't do the whole swap and sell thing.  :D

Desert Eagles aren't going down in value if something horrible were to happen and I actually had to sell a firearm.  (shivers)

But seriously, this is going to be really hard to find.  If I find two, I will let you know. :)

MrBlackCat
View Quote

The part about them going down in value absolutely true.  I'm on a quest to get all the flavors now that I have a 10" barrel in every caliber and a 14" 357.  I'm still waiting on MR to release those 10" 50 and 429 barrels.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I still have been on and off looking for the two groove 357 barrel with no luck.
I have pretty much come to the determination that in order to get one of 2 groove 357 barrels I am going to have to buy a complete pistol with it on there, and buy a new bolt and either a 44 or 50 barrel, then resell.
However right now prices for any gun (does not matter which ones, just guns in general) are way higher than normal. So finding a complete gun is out of the price range right now. I have found a few with the barrel I want, but prices on them are 300-500 more than they were when I first started this thread. All I can do now is hope the election goes our way and prices start to come back down to normal after a while. If not, I may never get the barrel I want.

However one thing I have been wondering about. If I do find a complete gun and replace the barrel, would a 44 or 50 be easier to sell? The 44 is more economical to shoot and ammo is easier to find, making it possibly more attractive to some people. But some people when they see/think desert eagle, 50AE is it, and that is what they want. So I am not sure which one would be easier to sell.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not forgotten this thread by any means... as stated previously, I know how rare these are... and if I find one, even on a gun, I will come back here and let you know asap.  If it is "cheap" or even standard barrel price, I will buy it just to be sure and be sure it gets to you, as I have no desire for more than one of that type.

As far as re-selling one, I would just buy the least expensive barrel you can get and sell the DE with that one.  I don't think caliber makes much difference for reasons you stated.
It is a sellers market for sure.

Still looking, almost every day.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I just noticed in one of your above posts, you mentioned both US and Israel made barrels. I know they moved production to the US for a while before moving back to Israel. But I am out of the loop on all modern produced models right now, so I have no idea where they are made now. Plus I am not really in depth in the history of what changed and when.

I do know mine is a Mk VII 50 AE. When I bought it, it came with a 10 inch two grove 44 mag barrel also. I lucked out and found a two grove 6 inch 44 mag barrel online and snagged it. Been wanting a 357 barrel ever since.

You seem to know a lot about these. How do you tell apart a Israel and US made barrel? Were there two grove versions of each, or is it easy and the multi slot came about when they moved production to the US?
I do know the 6 inch 44 barrel I have, has a noticeably different finish on it than the barrel and slide on my Mk VII 50. The 6 inch 44 barrel has a slightly "rougher" or "sandblasted" surface texture to it, just like the 357 barrel you posted above. The 10 inch 44 barrel has a finish like the 50 one noticeably smoother. It's easy to see and feel the difference in person, but I do not think it would show up on camera very well. (at least not my camera, but I could try)
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#8]
I just noticed in one of your above posts, you mentioned both US and Israel made barrels. I know they moved production to the US for a while before moving back to Israel. But I am out of the loop on all modern produced models right now, so I have no idea where they are made now. Plus I am not really in depth in the history of what changed and when.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

As with many things, there is few absolutes.  This is my understanding from memory... until Kahr Arms bought Magnum Research Desert Eagles were produced in Israel by Israeli Military Industries. (IMI) The Kahr acquisition was around 2008 or 2009.  There was an early attempt to move all production to the US, which didn't go well (quality control issues) and in less than two years, production was returned to Israel under the new IMI, Israeli Weapon Industries.  Once US production was up to speed (2010, 2011) almost all production was moved back to the US.  Occasionally IWI is still contracted to make barrels or entire guns like the Israeli Military Classic, which was offered a few years ago.  As far as I know there are no two part barrels other than some prototypes, which were made in the US.  If you see the ring and large pin in the rear barrel lug, it should almost certainly be Israeli made... for 6 inch barrels.  10" barrels might not be so cut and dried... there might be some Israeli made single part barrels also, but seems to be unlikely there are any two part US made barrels.  As far as grooves, there are US and Israeli made two groove and multi-groove barrels.  I have two and multi-groove barrels from the US and Israel.

I do know mine is a Mk VII 50 AE. When I bought it, it came with a 10 inch two grove 44 mag barrel also. I lucked out and found a two grove 6 inch 44 mag barrel online and snagged it. Been wanting a 357 barrel ever since.

And I will keep helping you look. :D

How do you tell apart a Israel and US made barrel? Were there two grove versions of each, or is it easy and the multi slot came about when they moved production to the US?
Yes, there are two and multi groove versions from the US and Israel... at least in 6"... 10" I am not sure.

Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:I do know the 6 inch 44 barrel I have, has a noticeably different finish on it than the barrel and slide on my Mk VII 50. The 6 inch 44 barrel has a slightly "rougher" or "sandblasted" surface texture to it, just like the 357 barrel you posted above. The 10 inch 44 barrel has a finish like the 50 one noticeably smoother. It's easy to see and feel the difference in person, but I do not think it would show up on camera very well. (at least not my camera, but I could try)

I know exactly what you mean... I have seen this as well, and even on a new barrel, so it isn't necessarily a re-finish.
Edit:  I just realized you can see this on the barrel in the picture at the top of this page on my own Israeli MkXIX .357 Magnum.
You can also see it very clearly in this auction... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882625410 , which is an Israeli made barrel.

I hope this answers your questions... if I missed something, just let me know.  Just remember, I am not perfect, nor trying to be, so I try to balance direct experiences with observation and the stated experiences of others.  Also Magnum Research employees have shared information over the years of which some turned out to be inaccurate as well.  Nobody is perfect... I am open to correction.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The 10 inch 44 barrel I have appears to be one piece. The barrel extension (for lack of a better term) where the bolt locks in is noticeably different than the 6 inch 44 and 50 barrels. It does not have the noticeable line and pin, plus the cut for the extractor is a little different. The gas port on the 10 inch is at the 6 o-clock position and there is a groove in the feed ramp for it. The other barrels are in roughly the 7-8 o-clock position and half way covered by the barrel extension.
There is also a slight difference in the quality of the rifling, with the 10 inch looking not as "smooth and shiny" as the 6 inch 44 and 50 barrel I have. But a picture for that is next to impossible get, it can only be seen in person.

As suspected, the surface finish did not show up very well on my camera. It is easier to notice in person, it just does not show up well on my camera.
The two 44 barrels:

10 inch on the right. You can kinda see the surface finish a little better in the picture on the very end of the barrel extensions. Plus the difference in the barrel/extension.

The texture difference is barely noticeable in the picture.

So is the difference between the US made and Israel made two groove barrels, is the US made ones are one piece and the Israel made ones are two piece? You said you have ones of each.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The 10 inch 44 barrel I have appears to be one piece.

So is the difference between the US made and Israel made two groove barrels, is the US made ones are one piece and the Israel made ones are two piece? You said you have ones of each.
View Quote

This is where things get murky... I believe there are some Israeli one piece barrels in 10"... but as far as I know, there are no two piece US made barrels in either length.  
Logically,  two piece =  Israeli made.  One piece 6" = US made.  One Piece 10" = US and a some Israeli made.
Slots can be anything... I do have US and Israeli made two slot and multi-slot.
I even have an IWI (not IMI) 6" 357 Magnum... two slot, made in 2006.

I hope this helps keep the confusion going... it just looks like there are few absolutes. :D

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what the reasoning is for some being two piece and some being one piece. Is one easier to make than the other?
Also, how many desert eagle do you have? It almost sounds like you have one of every variant...lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder what the reasoning is for some being two piece and some being one piece. Is one easier to make than the other?
Also, how many desert eagle do you have? It almost sounds like you have one of every variant...lol
View Quote

The two piece was an Israeli manufacturing choice... which proved a bit two expensive for US manufacture when that time came... I was told this by a supplier of machined parts for Magnum Research.  Speculation of my own, with modern CNC two part barrels probably really isn't necessary anymore.

I have six and seventeen barrels at this time.  It isn't enough, but I get by.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have six and seventeen barrels at this time.  It isn't enough, but I get by.  :)

MrBlackCat
View Quote

Definitely the desert eagle connoisseur!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeps-And-Guns] [#14]
Well after seeing the Christmas sale in one of the other threads, I broke down and ordered one of the 10 inch 357 barrels. I did not need to spend the money right now, but the price ($358) was just kinda too good to pass up.
I do not like the multi slot barrels, but for the price I think I am just going to deal with it.

EDIT 12/29: They just canceled my order for the barrel
Now I am back to no 357 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I can not believe I finally found one. I was randomly looking on gunbroker a few days ago and actually found a listing for one. The first time since I started this thread I have found one anywhere. A two groove 357 mag barrel. It had 2 days left and already had several bids on it, but was only at a couple hundred dollars. I waited until it had a couple hours left and put in my bid. I ended up winning it, but not without a few more bids from others. Thankfully they did not go over my max bid.
Ended up winning it for $401. It looks like it may be unfired, but hard to know for sure until I have it in my hands. It does have a few specks of surface rust, but it does not look to be anything to worry about, I have cleaned up worse. It said it came from a estate, so I am betting it has set in a box somewhere for a long time, hence the slight surface rust.
Was it a good deal, well maybe ya'll can let me know. I feel like I did good and am happy, as I had about given up. So I was willing to put a slight premium on a two groove barrel as opposed to a new multi slot barrel. I looked afterwards and the only new production multi slot black 357 barrel I saw was $570. 44 and 50 barrels were between $430 and $575 depending on the finish. So I feel like I did good.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887319573

Now to get a bolt and a couple mags.

Now all I need to complete my collection is a 10 inch 2 groove 50 barrel (that might not be too hard) and a two groove 10 inch 357 barrel (might be even harder than the 6 inch I just found).
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched that auction end... I was rooting for you.  :)

I am glad you finally got what you wanted.  A 10" 357 two slot is going to be a tough one as well.  I don't think I have ever seen one other the one I have.  You got a good deal in my opinion.  For many years, Desert Eagle barrels were about $360 or so... then a few years ago they started going up more and more.  When they got to about $450 (average/new) I decided they were going to price themselves out of existence, so I set out to get a few... which went bad of course and then I became "this"... whatever that is. Ok, just kidding mostly, but I am glad to have a variety of options when shooting Desert Eagles even if seem like a Desert Eagle addict. :)

I will keep looking for two slot 10" barrels and let you know if I find them.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully I did not bid against you.
Got the tracking number today. Thankfully the are shipping UPS. If they had used the post office I probably would not get it for a month.
Found a pair of new checkmate 357 magazines on ebay for $83 after tax. That was the cheapest I could find anywhere (and in stock). I have a couple of checkmate mags in 44 and 50 and they are 100% identical to factory. (seems like I remember reading somewhere checkmate is who makes the factory mags)

Now all I need is the bolt. I might have a line on one, currently waiting on a email response.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:40:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not at all... I wasn't going to bid.  The reason I didn't think to contact you on the barrel was it being a US barrel rather than an Israeli barrel.  I didn't consider you never said that mattered.  The only 357 two slot I have IS an Israeli, as that is what I wanted and slot pattern didn't matter to me.

Got the tracking number today. Thankfully the are shipping UPS. If they had used the post office I probably would not get it for a month.
Found a pair of new checkmate 357 magazines on ebay for $83 after tax. That was the cheapest I could find anywhere (and in stock). I have a couple of checkmate mags in 44 and 50 and they are 100% identical to factory. (seems like I remember reading somewhere checkmate is who makes the factory mags)

Now all I need is the bolt. I might have a line on one, currently waiting on a email response.

CheckMate does make the Magnum Research magazines.  I believe there was at least one other factory magazine supplier, but I can't remember who shared this... but I am almost positive it was a Magnum Research employee.  The price sounds like Joes Mag Mania... that is where I have bought most of mine.

I hope you get your new barrel and bolt soon.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Not at all... I wasn't going to bid.  The reason I didn't think to contact you on the barrel was it being a US barrel rather than an Israeli barrel.  I didn't consider you never said that mattered.  The only 357 two slot I have IS an Israeli, as that is what I wanted and slot pattern didn't matter to me.

CheckMate does make the Magnum Research magazines.  I believe there was at least one other factory magazine supplier, but I can't remember who shared this... but I am almost positive it was a Magnum Research employee.  The price sounds like Joes Mag Mania... that is where I have bought most of mine.

I hope you get your new barrel and bolt soon.  :)

MrBlackCat
View Quote

Well, I would prefer a Israel made barrel, but with as extremely hard as two groove barrels are to find, I was just willing to take what I could get. Now I will still keep a occasional eye out for a Israel made one, and if I was to find one at a good deal I would (if money allowed at the time) get it and sell this one, but for now this will suffice. I am just happy it is two slot and matches my other two slot barrels. ( I just really do not like the looks of the multi slot personally)
My end goal is to have the two slot barrels in 6 & 10, in all 3 calibers (the "full set").

As for the mags, I checked the auction and yep, that was the seller.

The bolt, I found a old for sale ad online for a bolt and multi slot 10 inch barrel for a really good price. I took a chance and contacted the seller who says they do not remember selling them and pretty sure they still have them "in storage". He is supposed to be looking for them and getting back to me. So I am still waiting on a response. If that fall through, then bolts seem to be in stock on ebay.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Well the seller took their sweet time shipping it, but it finally showed up today.
It looks like it was shot a couple mags, then put into (poor) storage for a long time. It has barely any wear on the parts where there normally is wear, so it can not have been shot much.
I went to work cleaning it up. The rust was visible but not overly deep or bad. I started out with a frontier big 45 pad, then moved to some hoppes no 9 and a stiff brush and scrubbed the whole outside with it. A douse in some carb cleaner then some oil and a soft rag and it looks almost new. You have to hold it in just the right light, and have to be really looking to see the very faint spots where the rust was. Unless you were looking for it, you would not even notice it.
The surface finish is slightly "rougher" than my other barrels, but does not stick out very noticeably from the others. You can mainly feel it more than see it. It is slightly more matte than the 44 barrel pictured above.
I am just happy I was finally able to find a two groove 357 barrel. If anyone else decided they want one, all I have to say is good luck.

I now have the barrel and mags. Currently waiting on the bolt. It shipped usps, so who knows when I will get it. I am wanting to try it out!

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Great you finally got one. :)

One suggestion if you haven't already is to flush the gas port... I do it with some carb cleaner with a straw... you can carefully bend a 90 in the end of the straw, sometimes cold or sometimes with a tiny bit of heat from hot water or a heat gun or wherever.  I was surprised at how much powder residue is blown out like this considering the pressure of the impulse when firing.  Sometimes I plug the barrel end and blow compressed air through it also.  Of course, at 36,000 psi, it is mostly self cleaning with a round or two, so this step isn't probably that important.

I will keep watching for a two slot 10" .357 and let you know if I find one.

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Yea I flushed it with some carb cleaner. I stuck the nozzle in the gas port, then covered it with my finger and blew through it. I then repeated with some canned air. Not really anything came out.
The tracking number on the bolt says is is supposed to be here today, which translates into about 2 more weeks.

Looking for both a 2 groove 50 and 357 10 inch.
I would have thought a 10 inch 2 groove 50 would be somewhat easier to find, but I am not having much luck with it either. I found one listing online of a pistol with 6 and 10 inch barrels in 50. I wanted to see if they would sell just the 10 inch, but they refuse to answer my messages.
Oh well, I will keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I'll be darned if the bolt did actually show up friday.
I got it swapped out and the 357 barrel on, but the weather did not work with me saturday. I did have a chance to try it out today though.
I had 50 rounds already loaded, with 10 rounds each of 5 different powders to test out. 2400, H110, N105, No 7, and No 9, using a 125gr fmj-fp.
The 2400 had a nice boom and fireball and pretty good accuracy. The H110 (actually the first time I have ever used any) was just a little louder of a boom and slightly larger fireball. Accuracy was also slightly better than the 2400. The N105 had zero muzzle flash, much less recoil, and no boom, and was more of a higher pitch crack (like a 9mm), kinda strange. Accuracy was about the same as 2400. The No 9, boom and fireball was about the same as 2400, accuracy was the best out of all of them. The No 7, I was getting flattened primers and the cases slightly bulged at the base where the feed ramp is. Hopefully I did not kill those 10 pieces of brass, as 357 brass is unobtainum right now.  I have used some of the No 7 in 9mm and did not like it in that either (very dirty) so I am writing that powder off.
It looks like No 9 is the winner, with H110 being a very close second.
All in all I had zero feeding or cycling issues and it worked flawlessly.
Glad I bought the 357 barrel and it is a blast (both pun and no pun) to shoot. Definitely noticeably lighter recoil than my S&W 686 with a 7in barrel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Glad to hear you got your .357 all put together and running. Be careful if you swap out the bolt at the range. There is an opportunity to launch the bolt stop plunger spring, and if you don’t find it, you won’t be shooting any caliber through the pistol until you get a replacement.
View Quote

Ha! Yea that would be bad. Luckily my shooting range is about 50 yards away from my front door. So the bolt swap would be done in the house before I walk outside to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Well things have changed just a little.
I forgot how how much of pain it is to swap bolts every time I wanted to shoot 357. Going from 44 to 50 is such a breeze, but going to 357 is a more involved process.
I got thinking, if I could find a really good deal on a good used 357, I would buy it and not have to fool with swapping bolts. Then I would have a dedicated 357 gun, and then my Mk VII 50 with the 44 barrels.
I was even open to buying a 44 or 50 if the price was right, and just use the current 357 barrel and bolt in it, and sell the 44/50 barrel and bolt.
I had some requirements though. Naturally, it had to be a two groove barrel if it was a 357. I greatly preferred it to be IMI marked, but would settle for IWI marked if it was all I could find.
I have been searching on gunbroker and armslist for several weeks. I found one IWI marked 357, but the seller was acting very shady and completely flaked, so that deal fell through.
I ended up finding a listing on armslist one night that had only been up for about a hour and I promptly jumped on it. I will save all the details of the payment and shipping, but I finally picked it up from my ffl yesterday.
It is Mk XIX, IMI marked, brand new, 20 year old, never fired, in the factory box, 3 caliber set. The seller bought it brand new in 2001 and put it up in the safe, never fired it. It came from the factory as a 357 mag. In 2003, he bought a 50AE and 44mag barrels, bolt, and mags. Still all unfired it set in the box until I bought it from him. So it is not a factory "set", but it is all 3 barrels.

Well I say never fired, but I forgot about the 1 round they shot through it at the factory (proof load I assume). That fired case was also in the box.
I had to tear it completely down, and I mean completely down. Trigger, barrel retainer, slide, safety, everything, to clean out the 20 year old oil that had turned to a gummy tacky goo. Carb cleaner made quick work of it, but it was still a little bit of a pain to tear that far down.
They guy I bought it from had put the 50 barrel and bolt in it, but I put the 357 bolt and barrel back on it.  My plans are to sell the 50 and 44 barrels, as well as the 357 barrel and bolt I bought earlier. I will keep this one as it came from the factory in 357 and it will be my dedicated 357 mag desert eagle. Now any time I want to shoot 357 mag from the DE, I will just grab this one, instead of having to swap the bolts on my other one.
Years ago, I never would I have though I would have 2 desert eagles. Go back even further and I never thought I would own one period. Funny how times change.

I am still on the lookout for the 10 inch barrels for 357 and 50. But they are proving to be hens teeth. There was a 10 inch two groove 357 barrel on ebay a month or so ago, and I was the high bidder for about 20 min, until I got sniped with 20 seconds left. It ended up going for over $1000. Holy crap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#29]
My first one was a Mk VII in 44 mag. I bought it at a gun show and had it for a long time.
I always wanted a 50, and ended up finding the one I have now. I got it on gunbroker and it came with the 10 inch 44 barrel I have, and a bag of new unopened IMI 50AE brass, and 3 boxes of 50 cal speer tmj bullets. I sold the Mk VII and then eventually found the 6 inch 44 barrel I have.

2 desert eagles will do it for me. I do not foresee ever buying any more. I have the 3 calibers/models I want, I do not have any interest in 440 or 429, and if I ever did, all I would need is a barrel. I have no interest in 41 either. The newer lightweight ones do nothing for me either, and I do not care for any of the other finishes other than black. (I just do not like shiny guns). The only shiny gun I have is a S&W 686, and it is stainless steel. It is the only SS gun I have. I only got it because I always wanted a 357 revolver, it was at a local store in the used rack, and I got it for a good deal.
So all I have left to get is a 10 inch 357 and 50 barrels and I will have all I want DE related.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
WOW!  That is such a great find!  I ended up buying a whole gun for the 6" 357 (IMI) barrel also, but not the three caliber set from two decades ago.  :)

With your level of luck, you should be able to find two groove 357 and 50 barrels without too much wait. :)  I will keep looking for your, as probability really seems to be on your side.

While I am able to make a Desert Eagle bolt swap in less than 60 seconds now, I really didn't want to risk losing small parts in the field.  My solution was to build up a 357 slide from parts.  I think I had about $700 in parts by the time I finished, but that is how it went at the time.  I am happy with what I ended up with though. (That is it in my avatar.)

If I had an extra 10" 50 o 357, I would try to get them to you, but I just don't.  I have an extra 10" 44 for the purpose of re-chambering to 429DE if those factory barrels fall through.  I am still keeping my fingers crossed for those though.

Still looking...
MrBlackCat

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Yea I have been looking online everywhere trying to find the 10 inch barrels. Even looking for complete pistols with them. I did find about a month ago, a 50AE that had both 6 and 10 inch barrels with it (both two piece, two slot Israel made) on armslist. I messaged the guy with no response. I sent a message about once a week for about a month trying to get a response with no reply what so ever. The listing either finally expired or was taken down. I mean, if it was sold, at least have the decency to respond and say it is sold and then take the ad down. Very frustrating.

After seeing what that 10 inch 357 barrel sold for on ebay, I doubt I will be finding one any time soon, (just the barrel anyways) and if I do, it will probably be as much as a whole pistol. I figure my luck has about run out by now. I figure if I find one, it will probably be as a whole pistol/set.

The 10 inch 44 barrel I have is a one piece US made barrel. If I find a deal on a Israel made two piece, two slot 10 inch 44 barrel, I will probably buy it as well. I would just really prefer all my barrels match. I would then sell the current one I have. Is the extra one you have a two piece Israel made barrel?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrBlackCat] [#33]
My two 10" 44 Magnum barrels are one of each.  Just remember, all two piece barrels are Israeli made, (except some prototypes) but not all single piece 10" barrels are US, regardless of slots count.  I have been trying to chase down a way to identify these things for years... just machining method or anything, but I don't have enough samples with reliable origins yet.

If I do see a 10", two slot 50 or 357 too inexpensive, I will buy it and sell it to you of course.  If you don't want it, I will just keep it.  I have no storage issue or allergy to duplicates.  I just see duplicates backups or as trading chips.  :)

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Why is it, it seems you can look for something for years and never see any? And then when you do finally find one, they suddenly start coming out of the woodwork?  

There is a 6” 2-slot .357 barrel with a bolt on eBay right now.

Now I’m just waiting for the rash of new-old-stock 10” barrels to start popping up.
View Quote

LOL, that two slot 6 inch 357 barrel and bolt on ebay is mine. It is the one I bought on gunbroker I posted about midway up in this thread.
Like I said, now that I just bought that complete pistol and it is going to be my dedicated 357 gun, I am selling off the 357 barrel and bolt I bought earlier, and the 44 and 50 barrels that came with it. Since it was not a "factory" kit, I do not feel bad about breaking it up. Plus I need to recoup some of the money I have spent.
After that barrel sells, I will be listing the 44 and 50 barrels also (since I already have some and do not really need duplicates)
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeps-And-Guns] [#36]
I decided to edit this post and split off a new thread for another question.

I have finally found the 10 inch Israel made 357 mag barrel. And then some.
I found a guy online selling a complete 6 barrel set/package. I tried, but he refused to sell the 10 inch barrel separately. Since I am in a better financial position then I was when I originally started this thread, I ended up buying the whole set. I did not really want to, but figured this might be my only chance to find one.
The 44 and 50 barrels came with scopes (a burris 3-12x32, and a weaver 2.5-8x28). The 50 barrel had also been magna ported with I was not very fond of, but I figured I can always sell it if/when I find another one that had not been ported.
The only down side to the whole deal, was the gun and all the barrels and scopes had been hydro dipped. I read up on the hydro dipping and read some places bead blast before painting, so I knew there was a chance of it.
I get everything and dunk the 10 inch barrels into a tub of acetone. The finish starts to wrinkle up and come off almost instantly. Sad to say, that is when I found they had in fact been bead blasted.
So I am currently working on my options of getting the black oxide redone. I called magnum research and they wanted $250 per barrel to refinish them. He heard the shock in my voice and then changed it to $150 per barrel "since I had 3". I called a local gunsmith and he said $150 to do all 3. However I have used this guy before and have not been very happy with him the few times I used him.
I am currently researching doing it myself, and that might end up being what I do.  Cerra coat is out of the question as well as any other finish other than black oxide.
I have posted the gun with the 3, 6 inch barrels in the EE if anyone is interested.
I will be keeping the 44 barrel since it is the two piece Israel production and selling the US made one piece barrel I have (posted above)

So all in all I am happy I finally found them, just sad they have been blasted. But with as rare as the 10 inch 357 barrels are, it is still worth it to fix.

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Well that was pretty quick. I had a person respond to one of my want to buy ads online and I ended up scoring a all original unmolested 10 inch 50AE barrel.
It is just slightly different in profile that the other one. A interesting variation.
My plan is once I have the black oxide re done on the barrels that were blasted, I will sell the ported one. I am just not fond of the looks and feel like it will reduce the velocity.

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the updates.  :D

Good to see your success in finding everything even if not ideal.  

MrBlackCat
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Seems no one is interested in buying a desert eagle with cheezy hydro graphics. So I have decided to have not only the 10 inch barrels I'm keeping refinished, but just going to go ahead and do everything so to make the gun and other barrels easier to sell.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Well after much deliberation, and not liking the prices I was getting locally and abroad, I decided to re blue everything myself.
I did lots of research, lots of prep, and came out very happy.
The bluing salts I used are called ultra-blak 400 from EPI chemicals. I found this stuff referenced in a few yourtube channels.
I sandblasted the inside of a old ammo can, used a turkey fryer base and cooked everything up. I did not just the barrels I am keeping, but the whole hydro dipped pistol I bought. I soda blasted everything to get it all clean and uniformed.
I am very happy with the results. I got a nice black oxide. It is just slightly more matte than the factory bluing, but that is probably just a difference in the surface finish of the metal. If you did not know, you would not know it was not a factory finish.

I ended up finding a couple burris 2-7x32 pistol scopes on sale on midway and bought them. I found some leupold see through rings that fit perfectly (part number 55880). I also have a burris 3-12x32 that came with the hydrodipped barrels. I have it in the 50 barrel, and the 2-7x32's on the 44 and 357 barrels.

Now all I need to do is find some time to zero them all in.

The factory finish/bluing 50 barrel is on top. The 44 and 357 barrels I reblued are on the bottom.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
The barrel extension on the 357 actually turned out a slightly different shade. I figure it is a slightly different metal than the barrel.
That is actually not the first time I have seen that. While looking at ones for sale online over the years, I have seen several different factory guns with the barrel extensions a slightly different shade than the barrel.
I have seen the frames different too. In fact my Mk VII 50 AE the frame is slightly different than the rest of the gun.
It shows up more in the picture than it does in person.

Here I am, I finally have all 6 barrels and two different desert eagles. Somewhere I never thought I would be.
I am in a better financial position now than I was when I first started this thread. I got a raise at the start of the year and we have been very busy at work, so I have been getting over time as well.
While it has been a long and sometimes frustrating journey, I am very happy in the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top