Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were to only own I only own 1 rifle and 1 Pistol

Ruger Super Blackhawk SS  and a Rossi lever action 16" barrel
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my Ruger Super Redhawk. That is all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've contacted both Bowen and Huntington about a custom barrel and action work on a .44 Alaskan. We'll see where this goes....
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 3.

Ruger Super Blackhawk - accurate, fun to shoot, tough and reliable.

S&W M29 4" blued - accurate, fun to shoot, tough and reliable - and the smoothest revolver I've ever shot.

Dan Wesson stainless - accurate, fun to shoot, tough and reliable.

If I could only keep one it would be the M29.

However, if I was going to buy another one I'd be looking at the M629 with the full underlug 5" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may sound silly, but what's the point of putting an Anaconda barrel on the Ruger?
View Quote
Looks.... SRHs have a funky looking barrel. RedHawks look pretty decent, but have an inferior action design. I'm debating on going with a standard Redhawk, Anaconda or custom full lug shroud and barrel from Huntington. It's also getting a custom action job and general touch up to make it nicer than an off the shelf Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks.... SRHs have a funky looking barrel. RedHawks look pretty decent, but have an inferior action design. I'm debating on going with a standard Redhawk, Anaconda or custom full lug shroud and barrel from Huntington. It's also getting a custom action job and general touch up to make it nicer than an off the shelf Ruger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This may sound silly, but what's the point of putting an Anaconda barrel on the Ruger?
What is their to ponder ?

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What is their to ponder ?

http://i.imgur.com/Fid0XI1.jpg
View Quote
Cost, which is kind of a moot point, considering how much you're already spending to have the work done.

Barrel length, the longest I can get with a reworked Anaconda barrel is 4.2". I'd like 5 or 6, but it looks fine with the shorter barrel.

Which 'smith I want to use, Bowen or Huntington.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Zero interest in a 44Mag.
I have owned a bunch of them and sold the last one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does it have to be a revolver?

Desert Eagle in 44 Magnum and you can also get the 50 AE barrel for when you turn 50.
View Quote

I just put a 7.5" 1983 Redhawk on layaway last week. Pristine condition. I can't wait to shoot it. My only concern is the bbl separation in the early models from supposedly over-torqueing the bbl during assembly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be clear, they hurt.

Definitely not going to be shooting a bear if I have any other option
View Quote
Really? I put a 1983 Redhawk on layaway just so I could try those stout loads.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my 44 mag. "dirty harrriet" S&W model 629. I don't enter the grizzly bear woods around here without it. It's very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]
My reason for wanting a 44 Mag revolver is to compliment my Marlin 1894 lever gun.  I highly recommend purchasing a lever gun in 44 Mag, and then your reason for wanting the revolver is taken care of.  I can get very creative when justifying new gun purchases.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you primarily a DA shooter or a SA shooter?

Look around for a used Dan Wesson .44.  They are stout guns that really shoot well, but they are heavier than hell.  The action is really a SA first (the hammer shape clues you to that) but the DA isn't bad, and that is coming from a died-in-the-wool trigger snob.  I would like a more robust Model 29 Smith due to the DA trigger.  Maybe the Redhawk has improved since in the decades since I last shot one, but I dunno.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you primarily a DA shooter or a SA shooter?

Look around for a used Dan Wesson .44.  They are stout guns that really shoot well, but they are heavier than hell.  The action is really a SA first (the hammer shape clues you to that) but the DA isn't bad, and that is coming from a died-in-the-wool trigger snob.  I would like a more robust Model 29 Smith due to the DA trigger.  Maybe the Redhawk has improved since in the decades since I last shot one, but I dunno.
View Quote
DA is my preference. I would like to find a nice DW one of these days...
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a 629 Mountain Gun and foolishly traded it.  I deeply regret it.  Was a fantastic shooter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had a 629 Mountain Gun and foolishly traded it.  I deeply regret it.  Was a fantastic shooter.
View Quote
I swear that Smith & Wesson must have a sales prevention team.  They don't want to reintroduce the Mountain Gun as it would sell too well.

They can't have that!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Either Model 29, or 629 in 4" or 6"...As I wouldn't be carrying it around a great deal, I would probably go with a 6" barrel.  If I lived in Alaska or somewhere I planned on carrying it a great deal I would get a 4" barrel.

But then, if I lived in Alaska, I would probably shoot it MUCH more, so would opt for a Ruger and have a little work done on a 4" Ruger for carrying a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I swear that Smith & Wesson must have a sales prevention team.  They don't want to reintroduce the Mountain Gun as it would sell too well.

They can't have that!
View Quote
I’m a huge S&W fan, but they really don’t listen to their customers’ wants.

I have a few regrets in guns that are gone.  That one’s real  high on the list.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top