Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 3/28/2019 10:54:31 AM EDT
Any guesses ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
That'll never happen.  So, zero dollars.  I remember reading something from a Colt rep who said that a Python can't be CNCed and all the old qualified gunsmiths are long gone.  They might come out the a new revolver named "Python" but it will be similar to the new Browning A5.  A Python in name only.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
IF they could reproduce the Python faithfully, I'm guessing it would MSRP around a Grand, just because of the name and history.

And MANY people would pony up for it (pun totally intended).
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
As I recall full retail before they quit making them was north of $1500.  In today's market anything less than $2500 would be astounding.  But we'll never see them.  At best a Python Mk 2 using the Trooper Mk III lockwork, which of course will be completely derided as not a real Python.

If anybody wants a Python just go buy one.  There's 340 on Gunbroker.  They're neither rare nor hard to find.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
i imagine it would be crazy expensive

....and unrefined

I don’t think today’s Colt could pull it off
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I recall full retail before they quit making them was north of $1500.  In today's market anything less than $2500 would be astounding.  But we'll never see them.  At best a Python Mk 2 using the Trooper Mk III lockwork, which of course will be completely derided as not a real Python.

If anybody wants a Python just go buy one.  There's 340 on Gunbroker.  They're neither rare nor hard to find.
View Quote
This is exactly it.  They won’t use the original lock work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Either too much or not anywhere near the quality to try and bring the cost down.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IF they could reproduce the Python faithfully, I'm guessing it would MSRP around a Grand, just because of the name and history.

And MANY people would pony up for it (pun totally intended).
View Quote
You funny...

A Python anywhere close to the finish they had back in the 1990s will very likely push the MSRP well over $1500, and probably closer to $2200-$2500. I don't agree with the other poster regarding the inability to CNC the pistols. I'm pretty sure that using CNC machines to create turbofan engine assemblies and parts probably requires more precision than a revolver. I'm sure we could get within 98-99% of the original Python.

What we will not likely be able to reproduce - economically - are all of the hand fitting steps required to get the action to be close to what the original Python assembly smiths were able to reproduce. The revolver most comparable to the Python which is still production is the Korth, and that goes for $3500. (Arguably, the Korth is a full custom boutique gun. A production line might get that price down somewhat.)

Colt will probably re-introduce the Python - if the King Cobra sells reasonably well. Of course, the Python will be based on the King Cobra, and all of the fanboys will freak out.

m
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt could do it.  The king Cobra has all the elements they would need now.

The KC is between the size of a Detective Special and an I frame.

Trigger on the KC, for a mass produced trigger is exceptional and very Python ish.  Cylinder gap is tight and Colt makes some of the best barrels and always have.

So lets say we take the KC as a starting point $870 ish.  Now make it bigger with adjustable sites, CNC a vented rib.  I would say you are in the $1300-1500 area.

Now have someone go through and slick up the lock work, extra care on the polish and finish.  $2100 or so maybe $2500 right at Special Combat money.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody know how Colt's custom shop is doing these days?  Didn't they lose their primary guy a couple years back?  I don't even see them making the SCG that I have anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now have someone go through and slick up the lock work, extra care on the polish and finish.  $2100 or so maybe $2500 right at Special Combat money.
Anybody know how Colt's custom shop is doing these days?  Didn't they lose their primary guy a couple years back?  I don't even see them making the SCG that I have anymore.
They always do batch runs.  There are hi polish 1911s (45 and 38s), SAA, Marine guns and SCG out there, so they are still building them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t think they’ll do it, because the fanboys will never be satisfied.  They want old-style quality at $500 in today’s money.

The new Cobras and King Cobras are great by almost all accounts, but I’ve seen several people post that they’ll never buy one because it’s “not a real Colt.”  S&W is making stronger revolvers than ever, but you’ll get your peepee slapped for even suggesting you want to buy a new one (not just because of the lock, which causes epileptic seizures among the die-hards).

Ultimately people can’t let the fantasies of $500 hand-fitted Colts of old go, so nothing Colt could put out would satisfy the vocal masses.

On the other hand, I’m really hoping Colt will put out a medium-frame 4” .357 soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt could never do it....the old guys that worked for Colt are all gone.  Colt could never replicate the blue'ing alone in enmass
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the early 2000's, my father in law died and my wife inherited his 70's vintage 6" Python. I absolutely loved that gun, and shot the single best 25 yard group that I have ever shot with a handgun. Right after, we ran into some severe financial problems and had to sell it, along with most of my gun collection, to pay bills. Hated it, but you gotta do what you gotta do and you can't live in a revolver, where you can sell the revolver to help keep your house.

If Colt can come out with a revolver similar to the Python, with the same accuracy, look and function but made with modern methods so they don't have to be hand fitted, costs less than a good used example and if I have the money, I'd buy one. Since I grew up with Ruger and S&W revolvers, the trigger on the wife's Python wasn't my favorite (it was smooth as a baby's butt but had a stack or stage in the middle of the DA pull, which I understand was just the way they were; SA was simply outstanding), but it was hard to argue with the accuracy and workmanship, especially since I can't afford a good used one right now. The problem is, I don't think Colt could make one that is good quality, while still being significantly less expensive than a good used one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
This will hold the gun until you pay it off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]
MSRP $1499
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MSRP $1499
View Quote
Yup, and bids on auction sites going quite a bit higher than that :-(
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yup, and bids on auction sites going quite a bit higher than that :-(
View Quote
My local shop is selling them at MSRP.  They fly off the shelf as soon as the come in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That'll never happen.  So, zero dollars.  I remember reading something from a Colt rep who said that a Python can't be CNCed and all the old qualified gunsmiths are long gone.  They might come out the a new revolver named "Python" but it will be similar to the new Browning A5.  A Python in name only.
View Quote
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top