Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2018 11:29:29 AM EDT
Ive always OWB a G19 or 17 at 3:00 and the only reason i can see that anyone would IWB at any position would be for deeper concealment for whatever reason that is important.

If your shirt is untucked either way, why wear a IWB rig if you're going to print a little either way? If THAT is the reason, why is a LITTLE bit of printing SO important when 99% of people would not notice if we were walking down the street OPEN carrying?

A good IWB or OWB holster, with correct loop sizing, on a good strong belt, should be equally comfortable in either case.

Seems like the squeeze is not worth the juice.

What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Short shirts?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If your shirt is untucked either way, why wear a IWB rig if you're going to print a little either way?

Because unless I wear really long/baggy shirts, it shows when I sit/bend over. Normal shirts will hide more with IWB.

A good IWB or OWB holster, with correct loop sizing, on a good strong belt, should be equally comfortable in either case.

These statements contradict. If you get proper fitting pants as well as, then what squeeze?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I do both ways.... sometimes IWB is more appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Tactical advantage.  Not everyone or even many people will notice printing.  They will all notice oc. Besides some states like Florida do not allow open carry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?
View Quote
Discretion and personal preference.   Rock whatever works best for you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
IWB if done right, has an almost undetectable bulge behind a loose shirt, and pulls the entire gun tight up against the body.  A standard holster will always be easy to see under a shirt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tactical advantage.  Not everyone or even many people will notice printing.  They will all notice oc. Besides some states like Florida do not allow open carry.
View Quote
I think he's asking about a concealed gun carried at 3:00, either IWB or OWB.

The advantage for IWB is it helps prevent social stigma that some people feel when they carry.  They support gun rights, believe in them strongly, but are worried about the shame or embarrassment if they're discovered carrying.  Deeper concealment means they are less likely to have to explain to the friends, family, or occasionally strangers, why they feel they need a gun.

Because of this shame, they prioritize concealment above comfort and access.  The level of shame will even cause some to carry a less effective gun in a marginally effective caliber so that they can hide it even better.

Yes, OWB will print a little bit more, but allows a regular sized gun, which almost everyone shoots better, in a proven caliber to be carried in comfort, with fast access.  Thus the prioritization is; effective gun/caliber, fast one-hand access, comfort, and then concealment.

By this point a few readers will be angry at this response; this is called cognitive dissonance.  The proof is in how they would answer the question asked by a stranger, "Hey, what is that lump under your shirt?"
If the answer is, "It's my pistol" then they carry without shame.
If the answer is, "It's my colostomy bag" (or other similar stupid answer) then they're ashamed of their carry.  Although sometimes it isn't shame but because the internet guru who does their thinking for them teaches that it is tactically advantageous despite the extreme; that even openly carried pistols are hardly noticed, and poorly concealed almost never.

I've seen guys whose pistol barrel was exposed when they bent over (shorter cover shirt) and nobody cared.  My unbuttoned shirt blows open now and then, nobody cares.  My P229 rides comfortably in an OWB holster at 3:00- I can draw quickly and reliably even if there is something in my off-hand, as is almost always reality.  Same is true with a 1911 in a cross-draw (and I can draw that with either hand).  And yes, I recognize that a few people will devote the time to practice, and will be able to draw very fast from deeper concealment, but do not at all believe that is typical.

So the long and short of it is this; concealed carry is a series of compromises.  Gun/caliber, access, comfort, and concealment are the big four compromises we all face when we carry concealed.  It's all in how you prioritize those.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well for starters, different states word their CC laws differently. In some states it would become open carry if my shirt rode up and the pistol was at all visible.

For another thing, CC is about being concealed. No better concealment than IWB. Personally I struggle to find a reason why anyone would CC OWB.

And finally, I prefer a rig that comes on and off easily, so that means a paddle holster or IWB. I would use a P229, so with a heavier gun like that, IWB provides better retention and doesn't move around as much, especially if I am being active (for instance, if I had to run). Additionally, this also makes drawing ever so slightly more consistent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The advantage for IWB is it helps prevent social stigma that some people feel when they carry.  They support gun rights, believe in them strongly, but are worried about the shame or embarrassment if they're discovered carrying.  Deeper concealment means they are less likely to have to explain to the friends, family, or occasionally strangers, why they feel they need a gun.

Because of this shame, they prioritize concealment above comfort and access.  The level of shame will even cause some to carry a less effective gun in a marginally effective caliber so that they can hide it even better.

Yes, OWB will print a little bit more, but allows a regular sized gun, which almost everyone shoots better, in a proven caliber to be carried in comfort, with fast access.  Thus the prioritization is; effective gun/caliber, fast one-hand access, comfort, and then concealment.

By this point a few readers will be angry at this response; this is called cognitive dissonance.  The proof is in how they would answer the question asked by a stranger, "Hey, what is that lump under your shirt?"
If the answer is, "It's my colostomy bag" (or other similar stupid answer) then they're ashamed of their carry.  Although sometimes it isn't shame but because the internet guru who does their thinking for them teaches that it is tactically advantageous despite the extreme; that even openly carried pistols are hardly noticed, and poorly concealed almost never.

I've seen guys whose pistol barrel was exposed when they bent over (shorter cover shirt) and nobody cared.  My unbuttoned shirt blows open now and then, nobody cares.  My P229 rides comfortably in an OWB holster at 3:00- I can draw quickly and reliably even if there is something in my off-hand, as is almost always reality.  Same is true with a 1911 in a cross-draw (and I can draw that with either hand).  And yes, I recognize that a few people will devote the time to practice, and will be able to draw very fast from deeper concealment, but do not at all believe that is typical.

So the long and short of it is this; concealed carry is a series of compromises.  Gun/caliber, access, comfort, and concealment are the big four compromises we all face when we carry concealed.  It's all in how you prioritize those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

best explanation i have heard in my entire life

thank you
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Clearing a shirt is clearing a shirt. I can access my 92 compact just as well and quickly from 3:00 IWB, as I can 3:00 OWB CC. Can I get it faster OWB OC? Of course. But otherwise, it's in about the same position in each method, and a shirt's over it either way. IWB just means my muzzle doesn't stick out, and it's held just a bit closer which helps it not print quite as much.

Nothing to do with shame, if someone notices and asks about it, I'm happy to just say "oh it's my pistol," and will then go ahead and have the conversation with them if needed. However, I do go some places with some people that would feel uncomfortable with me having a large gun showing. I give up next to nothing, but gain a fair amount.

14rds of 9mm + 26 on backup that I can comfortably shoot at a fair distance and conceal with a light on it? Don't really see much where I'm compromising going IWB instead of OWB.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ive always OWB a G19 or 17 at 3:00 and the only reason i can see that anyone would IWB at any position would be for deeper concealment for whatever reason that is important.

If your shirt is untucked either way, why wear a IWB rig if you're going to print a little either way? If THAT is the reason, why is a LITTLE bit of printing SO important when 99% of people would not notice if we were walking down the street OPEN carrying?

What am I missing here?
View Quote
In my experience, IWB is considerably more concealable than OWB.  IWB pulls the gun in that much closer and unless you wear oversized clothes you are going to expose your holster with OWB at some point.  My preference is IWB and now it is AIWB.  The other advantage to IWB is that a lot of holsters are tuckable and that could be necessary depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Clearing a shirt is clearing a shirt. I can access my 92 compact just as well and quickly from 3:00 IWB, as I can 3:00 OWB CC. Can I get it faster OWB OC? Of course. But otherwise, it's in about the same position in each method, and a shirt's over it either way.

Nothing to do with shame, if someone notices and asks about it, I'm happy to just say "oh it's my pistol," and will then go ahead and have the conversation with them if needed. However, I do go some places with some people that would feel uncomfortable with me having a large gun showing. I give up next to nothing, but gain a fair amount.

14rds of 9mm + 26 on backup that I can comfortably shoot at a fair distance and conceal with a light on it? Don't really see much where I'm compromising going IWB instead of OWB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Clearing a shirt is clearing a shirt. I can access my 92 compact just as well and quickly from 3:00 IWB, as I can 3:00 OWB CC. Can I get it faster OWB OC? Of course. But otherwise, it's in about the same position in each method, and a shirt's over it either way.

If it works for you then that's what you should do- not criticizing anyone's method of carry.

I mentioned four compromises we make; Gun/caliber, access, comfort, and concealment.  Your post ignores comfort completely, except for the mention of the comfort of total strangers.  For me, I have never found IWB comfortable, in any position (but especially AIWB) and even with good holsters (like a Milt Sparks) IWB was far less comfortable than OWB.  I've seen other CCers guns exposed, have seen other people see other CCers guns exposed, and have had my CC expose, but have never observed any sign of discomfort from anyone over it.  My opinion is that 'other peoples comfort' in most places is overblown myth.  Yes, it happens, but even if someone casts the stink-eye over my slight exposure it changes nothing.  I'm not responsible for ANY of their unfounded fears, whether it's guns, spiders, snakes, motorcycles...whatever.

IWB just means my muzzle doesn't stick out, and it's held just a bit closer which helps it not print quite as much.
That's my point; that little bit of extra concealment benefits who exactly?  Not me; I'm wearing an unbuttoned shirt as cover, so if it blows open and someone sees it, their reaction (or lack of reaction) is going to be the same (one might argue IWB exposure would be more alarming because it looks like a gun stuffed into the pants, not in a holster which looks more legitimate).  Less printing?  OK, but I don't care if prints less or more.  So we've come full circle; I prioritize concealment last on the list of four, because for me where I live and the way I think, it's logical to do so.  If I lived in MA or CA, I would prioritize differently.

EDIT to add; I can also get a 'firing grip' before the draw much easier OWB than IWB.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I find with a good holster iwb is more comfortable and regularly sleep on my holstered side owb holsters are all generally super wide on the belt. You have to clear clothing to draw for both. A regular fitting shirt and my g19 looks like I'm trying to steal a cinder block when I'm in home depot.  I could probably wear huge ass shirts and fishing vests or maybe gain 100 pounds and then be more concealable and less comfortable but I'm not gonna do that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it works for you then that's what you should do- not criticizing anyone's method of carry.

I mentioned four compromises we make; Gun/caliber, access, comfort, and concealment.  Your post ignores comfort completely, except for the mention of the comfort of total strangers.  For me, I have never found IWB comfortable, in any position (but especially AIWB) and even with good holsters (like a Milt Sparks) IWB was far less comfortable than OWB.  I've seen other CCers guns exposed, have seen other people see other CCers guns exposed, and have had my CC expose, but have never observed any sign of discomfort from anyone over it.  My opinion is that 'other peoples comfort' in most places is overblown myth.  Yes, it happens, but even if someone casts the stink-eye over my slight exposure it changes nothing.  I'm not responsible for ANY of their unfounded fears, whether it's guns, spiders, snakes, motorcycles...whatever.

That's my point; that little bit of extra concealment benefits who exactly?  Not me; I'm wearing an unbuttoned shirt as cover, so if it blows open and someone sees it, their reaction (or lack of reaction) is going to be the same (one might argue IWB exposure would be more alarming because it looks like a gun stuffed into the pants, not in a holster which looks more legitimate).  Less printing?  OK, but I don't care if prints less or more.  So we've come full circle; I prioritize concealment last on the list of four, because for me where I live and the way I think, it's logical to do so.  If I lived in MA or CA, I would prioritize differently.

EDIT to add; I can also get a 'firing grip' before the draw much easier OWB than IWB.  YMMV
View Quote
Plenty fair enough, I ain't got anything against OWB either, and will likely end up getting a holster for it at some point. And I do intend to OC while riding my motorcycle (only form of transportation), so most places, other's feelings aren't a huge concern. But the one place I do have to deal with it is at church. Most people don't notice, but a few people do, and I've even had questions and concerns on my knives before.

Note: not from the church itself, but from other churchgoers.

Comfort hasn't been an issue for me, but I got a bit of, uh, "organic padding" that may help with that. I'm also used to carrying a steel frame, two spare mags, a push dagger, and an Esee 4, while riding in the Texas heat in near full gear, so I'm far from a good metric for "comfort."
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
SOB is where it’s at OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
So if you're letting your shirt tail or maybe your favorite photagrapher's vest cover your OWB rig, you must be too ashamed to carry openly?   Come on.  You've already compromised by not driving around in an APC w/ your belt-fed Belgian goodness.

If your IWB carry system is uncomfortable - buy a better holster.  If you prefer OWB carry.  Great.

All this BS about this gun or that gun, caliber, this holster or that holster, appendix, OWB, IWB, shoulder rig, my opinion is the right one gets old. If it goes bang when you want it to, and it works for you, outstanding.  All this other shit is just wasted hot air and keyboard strokes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
So because YOU hate iwb holsters, means the vast majority of people find them equally uncomfortable as you?  Having to clear a cover garment is the same, whether your holster rides iwb or owb.  What did you say about cognitive disonance?   A proper iwb holster with a normal sized gun will allow you a proper firing grip as well.

I used to carry an xdm 3.8 with 19rd grip iwb at 3 oclock.  Then I switched to a G19 in the same position iwb.  Now, I carry the G19 with a TLR-7, in an appendix rig with a mag holder that carries a 21 round mag.  All of that stuffed down in thw front of my pants.  And it's even more comfortable than when I carried at 3 o clock.

So I have increased concealment and COMFORT while carrying a normal sized gun with 37 rounds all stuffed in my iwb holster.

I'm pretty sure you're experience with comfort is different than many others and doesn't make you the overarching authority.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry IWB strong side hip.  Have for years, including driving from Florida to Colorado and back.  No issues.  Get the right holster AND if your body type works, it is stupid comfortable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes I think some people take pride in printing or causing alarm. It seems like it's a status symbol or something for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not so concerned about printing or being lumpy,  I just like the security IWB gives me when I'm bustin' my moves on the dance floor!!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
SOB is very comfortable. It slow on the draw and even slower when sitting down.

There will be time when you need to draw your weapon sitting down. This is one of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjolpEV2sw
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There will be time when you need to draw your weapon sitting down. This is one of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's also a good way to fracture a vertabrea
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's also a good way to fracture a vertabrea
View Quote
That's what glocks are for. They're made of plastic, so they'll flex when you land on them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:So because YOU hate iwb holsters...
View All Quotes
Quoted:So because YOU hate iwb holsters...
Are you having a bad night?  Where are you seeing hate?  I own IWB holsters, and even use them occasionally.  I merely said I didn't find them comfortable, that certainly doesn't mean I hate them.  I find the garage floor to be terribly uncomfortable when I have to crawl under the jeep, but I don't hate the garage floor, in fact I'm quite fond of it.

I'm pretty sure you're experience with comfort is different than many others and doesn't make you the overarching authority.
Authority?  No, I'm not an authority on anything except maybe my own personal comfort and such.

You seem angry by my post, did something in there strike a nerve?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So if you're letting your shirt tail or maybe your favorite photagrapher's vest cover your OWB rig, you must be too ashamed to carry openly?
View Quote
No, I carry openly from time to time as well.  I don't own a photographer's vest so I don't have a favorite one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, I carry openly from time to time as well.  I don't own a photographer's vest so I don't have a favorite one.
View Quote
You missed out on the height of 90s carry fashion.  Truly the glory days.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Comfort is completely subjective. I carry IWB the majority of the time, because getting caught at work could get me fired.

I really only carry OWB on my days off, even then, half the time I just roll with my normal IWB setup. It's all personal preference.

As far as compromising size of gun, caliber, etc. That's just a waste of breath to argue. If you carry a gun, it's better than the superior gun that was left at home. As long as someone's carrying, who gives a fuck if it's IWB, or OWB? Hell, even an ankle, pocket, or thunderwear is fine in my book. Just bring your gun with you.

I carried my LCP in a cargo pocket all day, because my stomach was bothering me, and OWB, IWB, didn't matter, waistband of my pants today was just fucking painful. It damn sure was a step down from the 9mm Glock 43, or 26 that I usually carry, but I had my gun with me.

Let's also be realistic about the incredibly low chance that those of us who carry daily will ever need to have our gun with us. I won't stop carrying because the odds of me needing a gun are so incredibly small, just carrying a gun in the first place is a hassle. But if I need my gun, it's going to be on my body. Might not be the "best" gun, but still better than a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your entire post is saying people that carry iwb are ashamed for people to know they carry.  Your post says you can't carry a normal size gun, and have easy access while carrying iwb. You're the one making blanket statements.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are you having a bad night?  Where are you seeing hate?  I own IWB holsters, and even use them occasionally.  I merely said I didn't find them comfortable, that certainly doesn't mean I hate them.  I find the garage floor to be terribly uncomfortable when I have to crawl under the jeep, but I don't hate the garage floor, in fact I'm quite fond of it.

Authority?  No, I'm not an authority on anything except maybe my own personal comfort and such.

You seem angry by my post, did something in there strike a nerve?  
View Quote
I'm not angry about anything.  I'm merely pointing out that you said you can't carry the same size gun and have as easy access carrying iwb. It's not true. If you carry owb, with a cover garment, you still have to clear the shirt or vest or whatever.  Your point about people being ashamed to have someone notice their gun is just stupid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Personally I struggle to find a reason why anyone would CC OWB.
View Quote
Because it is more comfortable for me and provides a better draw. I quite often disagree with Mainsail, but he is spot on with regards to each person prioritizing what is important to them.

I was in a grocery store in Georgia once and a guy was open carrying. Nobody so much as batted an eye.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#34]
IWB secures the handgun better (held more firm by pants) and you can wear normal length shirts. Long shirts are not great for lifting to draw, and vests just scream “I’m carrying” (as well as looking goofy imo).
OWB is not a great choice for concealment (because of garment limitations).
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
IWB secures the handgun better (held more firm by pants) and you can wear normal length shirts. Long shirts are not great for lifting to draw, and vests just scream "I'm carrying" (as well as looking goofy imo).
View Quote
What gun, holster, and belt did you use when trying OWB?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:I'm not angry about anything.  I'm merely pointing out that you said you can't carry the same size gun and have as easy access carrying iwb. It's not true. If you carry owb, with a cover garment, you still have to clear the shirt or vest or whatever.
View Quote
Again, that isn't at all what I said.  I said I find OWB faster and more comfortable.  I've already corrected your assertion that I hate IWB and mentioned I do occassionally carry IWB, so how are you now saying that I made the claim I couldn't carry IWB?

Your point about people being ashamed to have someone notice their gun is just stupid.
View Quote
Is it anywhere near as stupid as repeatedly making claims I said something that I very clearly did not?

Quoted:Your entire post is saying people that carry iwb are ashamed for people to know they carry.  Your post says you can't carry a normal size gun, and have easy access while carrying iwb. You're the one making blanket statements.
View Quote
You couldn't have read my entire post to make that claim, since my post completely disproves your allegation.  I wrote;

The advantage for IWB is it helps prevent social stigma that some people feel when they carry. They support gun rights, believe in them strongly, but are worried about the shame or embarrassment if they're discovered carrying. Deeper concealment means they are less likely to have to explain to the friends, family, or occasionally strangers, why they feel they need a gun.

Because of this shame, they prioritize concealment above comfort and access.
View Quote
C'mon, seriously, you put my entire quote in your reply; how did you miss that? I didn't say or even imply ALL, I said specifically SOME.

Look, I don't know if you're blinded by rage or just not reading the actual words, but you keep getting my statements wrong, so let's just agree to disagree and not derail this guy's thread.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
You clearly imply that you can't carry a regular size gun in a proven caliber comfortably and with fast access by carrying iwb.

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
IWB secures the handgun better (held more firm by pants) and you can wear normal length shirts. Long shirts are not great for lifting to draw, and vests just scream “I’m carrying” (as well as looking goofy imo).
View Quote
Question: Did you have to buy pants that were larger to IWB?  I imagine so; however, I did not have to change any component of my attire for OWB except adding a belt and holster.  I wear normal length casual shirts and have never exposed my holster while carrying. My only garmet limitation would be that I cannot pull off a tshirt/polo/overly fitted or tucked in shirt.  Be cognizant of your movements and it becomes habit thus largely a non-issue.

A proper belt and holster will pull the weapon close enough to the body to effectively conceal OWB.  Seriously give it a try - I'm a skinny bastard so if I can do this anyone should be able to with a solid belt and proper holster.  Maybe my situation will change in the future and IWB will be required at some point but staying OWB for now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You clearly imply that you can't carry a regular size gun in a proven caliber comfortably and with fast access by carrying iwb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, you don't know when to quit.  No I didn't clearly imply that, I said it outright.

I can't carry any gun IWB as comfortable as I can if it's OWB, and I'm not even fat.  If I carry IWB it's uncomfortable, thus the statement is true.

Is it true for you?  Don't know and not concerned.  You carry however you like.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:I'm not so concerned about printing or being lumpy,  I just like the security IWB gives me when I'm bustin' my moves on the dance floor!!!

View Quote
Wait, was that you in the video doing a backflip?  

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
some places dont have the right to CC. there is no such thing as too deep when its illegal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
IWB if done right, has an almost undetectable bulge behind a loose shirt, and pulls the entire gun tight up against the body.  A standard holster will always be easy to see under a shirt.
View Quote
Yep, this.  If you don't notice the difference, you most likely haven't tried a good IWB holster.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Another point it seems folks miss is that the importance or lack thereof of "printing" is also dependent on what part of the country you are from.

I can easily see the points of those above who said that they've exposed their CCW and no one batted an eyelash.  I've been to those places and I wish I lived there.  I live in the Chicago area.  Illinois is an odd duck in that further from Cook Country, its fine.  As you get closer to Cook County there is more and more of a stigma.  Here, every day the local news tells us about who got shot, how many got shot, and how guns are "bad".  They never blame the gang bangers....its the fault of people like "us".

My point is, here, I've heard many stories of people around here who had to endure "Man with a gun" calls.  Sure, they were within their legal right.  I get it.  But no one wants to have to go through that either.  On the other hand, the state my brother lives in, he could probably lift his shirt, show off his CCW, and dance around in a circle and no one would care.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#44]
To answer OP question, I don't IWB much anymore. Started going OWB about a year ago for comfort, and I dont care if people see it.

I'm in ok shape and wear soft,  pretty fitted tshirts, so I know I print some.  Still, I bet not 1 in 50 people notice, and I've never had anyone mention it.

Maybe I could try a bunch of IWB holsters and I'd find one that's as comfy as OWB, but for me...why? Dont care what anyone else does, but I just prefer OWB these days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

I go undetected by people who are looking for my gun most times.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#46]
For me it's not about printing.

I have found IWB to be by far and away a more stable platform both from which to draw a handgun and especially when reholstering.
I absolutely hate the way OWB holsters want to flex away from me upon reholstering.  I hate even the tiniest bit of flex.
Not a problem with IWB and a solid belt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For me it's not about printing.

I have found IWB to be by far and away a more stable platform both from which to draw a handgun and especially when reholstering.
I absolutely hate the way OWB holsters want to flex away from me upon reholstering.  I hate even the tiniest bit of flex.
Not a problem with IWB and a solid belt.
View Quote
What OWB holsters did you experience this with? I use Raven and JMCK kydex OWB holsters and have not had any issues with stability. They also hold the gun close to the body. In fact, the only difference is closeness is the thickness of the pants.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Question: Did you have to buy pants that were larger to IWB?  I imagine so; however, I did not have to change any component of my attire for OWB except adding a belt and holster.  I wear normal length casual shirts and have never exposed my holster while carrying. My only garmet limitation would be that I cannot pull off a tshirt/polo/overly fitted or tucked in shirt.  Be cognizant of your movements and it becomes habit thus largely a non-issue.

A proper belt and holster will pull the weapon close enough to the body to effectively conceal OWB.  Seriously give it a try - I'm a skinny bastard so if I can do this anyone should be able to with a solid belt and proper holster.  Maybe my situation will change in the future and IWB will be required at some point but staying OWB for now.
View Quote
Believe me, I’d rather OWB (universal set of pants, easier, more comfortable, etc), but imo it doesn’t work as well (for reasons I stated earlier). Oddly enough, the closest I came to a decent set up was with a Glock sport/combat holster (bonus for cheap!). But as I said, longer shirt length does work for me (and really impedes my draw). Around me, you won’t wear a vest, so that’s out.
IWB (although requiring slightly larger pants, but not much since I now use mild stretch jeans) works WAY better for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I carry IWB strong side hip.  Have for years, including driving from Florida to Colorado and back.  No issues.  Get the right holster AND if your body type works, it is stupid comfortable.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/50915774-E511-48EB-BBFA-E9CA5BC896A1-613060.JPG
View Quote
Carry a Gov't model in the same holster, can confirm I have zero issues on long drives.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shame? That has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on here and that says a lot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top